Zee Lights

skifreak

10 minutes ago, saltyant said:

That's surprising. From my short time here it seems that GSS is Blue's biggest fan.

I am..I'm like my third favorite Bob Dylan song,"Tangled Up In Blue"..I'm lost without Blue...What I like about Blue you really know how to dance when you go up down Come around think about true romance.  Blue is like FedEx..It Delivers..and this thread is like Roots favorite store at the mall..A Hot Topic!!!

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Not sure what that means. I thought you had to stay on piste, or they take you to court like at Elk?

Tree skiing is allowed at Blue..when it snows over 10" I'll show you honeybee bowl..mandatory giant slalom turns required definitely red Trapezoid on the steezy scale....Have you learned Smartstyle SallyAnt??

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Have you learned Smartstyle SallyAnt??

Nope, I don't understand how you turn in tree skiing. I'm afraid of not knowing how to turn and hit a tree like Sony Bono. If I can find some easy glades this year at Stowe I might give it a try.

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Nope, I don't understand how you turn in tree skiing. I'm afraid of not knowing how to turn and hit a tree like Sony Bono. If I can find some easy glades this year at Stowe I might give it a try.

Try the Slalom glades to the right of upper nosedive they are good mellow glares with widely spaced trees..when skiing glades you ski between the trees..this is being being a herb at Jackson hole in the Bivoac woods. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Hit up Frost when they've got some decent cover. They have glades all over the mountain ranging from handicap ramp pitch to pucker-yer-asshole steep. I'm just starting on tree skiing myself. Looking forward to checking some out while out in Steamboat.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Hit up Frost when they've got some decent cover. They have glades all over the mountain ranging from handicap ramp pitch to pucker-yer-asshole steep. I'm just starting on tree skiing myself. Looking forward to checking some out while out in Steamboat.

Steamboat has lots of mellow glades..and when new to tree skiing it's more exploring and dilly dallying you don't have to charge the shit..most skiing deaths occur on Blue groomers because people easily hit speeds over 50 mph due to the width and pitch

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Try the Slalom glades to the right of upper nosedive they are good mellow glares with widely spaced trees..when skiing glades you ski between the trees..this is being being a herb at Jackson hole in the Bivoac woods.

Nice video, you make it look easy. I'll look for some easy glades this year.

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

An instructor would pick that apart. Here's another fun video from a few years ago at Jackson hole. The snow is pretty junky.

Nice pole plants. Are my hands/wrists supposed to hurt using the poles? My left hand hurt so bad at CB last Saturday that I had to ski without poles. Lol.

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Nice pole plants. Are my hands/wrists supposed to hurt using the poles? My left hand hurt so bad at CB last Saturday that I had to ski without poles. Lol.

You really skied with no poles???  My hands have never hurt me from using poles. 

Heres the final video of the night. Me and Johnny style skiing the elevator at Jack Frost and yes it's steeper than white lightning probably 35 degrees at the crux

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You really skied with no poles??

Yep, and ironically my skiing improved drastically after a few runs with no poles. I think I was relying too much on them to make turns, and jamming them into the snow, thereby hurting my hands. Someone told me they train new skiers without poles because they use them as a crutch, and I think that's what I reverted to doing.

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I think I tense up sometimes and death grip the poles, thinking they'll save me from a fall when in reality that's not logical. Once I loosen up, I ski much, much better, but sometimes that takes me a few hours.

If you aren't falling you aren't trying. If I were you I'd watch some ski instructional videos on YouTube.  You'll get some pointers that you can try on the slopes. I've been trying to stay more forward and keep my hands forward as well especially in the bumps..cause once you get in the backseat forgetabout it..your skis just aren't as efficient. 

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

If you aren't falling you aren't trying. If I were you I'd watch some ski instructional videos on YouTube.  You'll get some pointers that you can try on the slopes. I've been trying to stay more forward and keep my hands forward as well especially in the bumps..cause once you get in the backseat forgetabout it..your skis just aren't as efficient. 

I could definitely use a few lessons. An instructor at Killington gave me some good pointers, such as not leaning backwards (which I still catch myself doing often). less than 3 years ago I couldn't ski the bunny slope at Eagle Rock, so I'm pretty happy with my progress regardless.

Edited by saltyant

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I could definitely use a few lessons. An instructor at Killington gave me some good pointers, such as not leaning backwards (which I still catch myself doing often). less than 3 years ago I couldn't ski the bunny slope at Eagle Rock, so I'm pretty happy with my progress regardless.

Your skis are very flexy. I bet you'll feel a world of difference on something stiffer and maybe wider underfoot, especially when the snow cruds up. I know I did.

1 minute ago, enjoralas said:

Your skis are very flexy. I bet you'll feel a world of difference on something stiffer and maybe wider underfoot, especially when the snow cruds up. I know I did.

The ski shop offered me Volkl RTM 81's at $599. I'll probably wait to find an end of season bargain on last year's model. In the meantime, I'll be skidding down the ice all season long on my flexy Elons.

25 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I think I tense up sometimes and death grip the poles, thinking they'll save me from a fall when in reality that's not logical. Once I loosen up, I ski much, much better, but sometimes that takes me a few hours.

Have a drink before you hit the slope, that will turn those hours into minutes ;)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

The ski shop offered me Volkl RTM 81's at $599. I'll probably wait to find an end of season bargain on last year's model. In the meantime, I'll be skidding down the ice all season long on my flexy Elons.

Yeah, just look for a good deal. I liked the Vokls when I demo'd them in the RTM84, and I liked the Rossi E88 HD and the E84 HD. I waited for a good deal on either the E88 or RTM84, and ended up paying just over $400 for a demo set of the E88 at Camel's demo sale this past spring.

February 21, 2018 Buckman's is sponsoring a Demo and Customer Appreciation Day at Blue. Come out then and test drive a bunch of skis for free. Usually can get a discounted lift ticket at Buckman's too.

• Thanks 1