Zee Lights

skifreak

10 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I can't believe they still have the guns on.

Must be blowing straight up water!

It's likely still below freezing on the mountain as it's 35 in Allentown and 28 at mount pocono and the humidity is low. You guys do know that they can blow snow in above freezing temperature if the humidity is low and if it's humid they can't blow snow when it's above about 28

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It's likely still below freezing on the mountain as it's 35 in Allentown and 28 at mount pocono and the humidity is low. You guys do know that they can blow snow in above freezing temperature if the humidity is low and if it's humid they can't blow snow when it's above about 28

Yeah, all based on the wet-bulb temp.

The problem is getting close to that temp, the quality and amount of snow produced diminishes.   Law of diminishing returns starts to kick in.

Just now, indiggio said:

Yeah, all based on the wet-bulb temp.

The problem is getting close to that temp, the quality and amount of snow produced diminishes.   Law of diminishing returns starts to kick in.

How much does that matter for the base? Legit question, I don't know enough about snowmaking to know. I know when you are close to the wetbulb the snow quality sucks, but does blowing that shit-snow for the first 6 inches of base on new terrain matter? Does it affect the quality of the snowpack from the bottom?

2 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

How much does that matter for the base? Legit question, I don't know enough about snowmaking to know. I know when you are close to the wetbulb the snow quality sucks, but does blowing that shit-snow for the first 6 inches of base on new terrain matter? Does it affect the quality of the snowpack from the bottom?

Well, they're gonna have to groom that shit, which creates the marbles everyone loves so much, and I've been told the groomers aren't allowed to make a lot of passes like they used to, so welcome the big chunks with open arms!

The only hope is that temps drop precipitously this afternoon which will allow them to make better snow to mix with the wet stuff that must be coming out of the guns now.

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Based on the blue Facebook page a lot of people excited to ski this weekend. Some heading out this weekend for their first day of the season. 

Oh boy!
Hopefully Upper Main is open or Midway is going to be one horrendous shit-show!

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

If they run the Burma chair as well it will be good. 

I think they'll probably have to.

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Midway will be one horrendous shitshow regardless.  I only got like 2-3 good runs on it Saturday and Sunday before it was wall to wall peeps. 

Once it turned to sugar piles, it was pretty shitty, but when the sun came out and temps came up, it was good for a while.

Still, crazies jumping moguls right next to you isn't the best feeling, no matter how well one skis the run.