Zee Lights

skifreak

I'm going to guess these 49 new guns have been in the works for a while, you can't just run down to home depot and pick up one of these things. 

That being said, I'm surprised they aren't factoring these new snow guns into an opening plan that would get the mountain open top to bottom ASAP to deal with spacing of crowds. 

• Like 1

About running out of water - it has been dry. I don't think changing which guns are used will change how much water a trail needs, right? So if they don't have enough, for example, to cover Dreamweaver and Burma then that won't be because of the new guns.

About an opening plan - 49 super efficient guns are probably easier to run early season than the same number of old school manual guns - just look at how they handle Valley School. So if I had to guess, since they're kind of the same guns, Burma and Valley School could open around the same time?

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, IceEidolon said:

About running out of water - it has been dry. I don't think changing which guns are used will change how much water a trail needs, right? So if they don't have enough, for example, to cover Dreamweaver and Burma then that won't be because of the new guns.

About an opening plan - 49 super efficient guns are probably easier to run early season than the same number of old school manual guns - just look at how they handle Valley School. So if I had to guess, since they're kind of the same guns, Burma and Valley School could open around the same time?

Usually they wait longer to open the valley. 

2 hours ago, IceEidolon said:

These look like new energy efficient guns, so hopefully Blue can put the serious firepower somewhere else and just let Burma run like Valley School does.

Yes, these look like TechnoAlpin low energy tower guns. Basically a newer, efficient version of a York Snow Borax tower gun like you see on paradise, razors edge etc. I haven't been to blue in over 10 years, but back then they still had the old air/water style guns on Burma. Those were a combination of home made, omichron's on towers, and some really old spraying systems style guns when they dabbled in the snowmaking business back in the late 60's/early 70's.

The advantage to these new guns are they are much more efficient in air consumption. Depending what they bought, you could probably run 7-10 new ones to one old gun. Most of the TechnoAplin towers usually have a built in compressor too so they don't have to pump air up the mountain. These guns are very easy to automate, basically right off the hydrants themselves. Snow quality will be much better as well.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, IceEidolon said:

I think for the older guns being replaced it's more like 15:1 or 20:1 replacement. That's why I think they'll be almost a whole trail ahead, that's how much air they're saving.

They very well could be. They are that old that those ratios wouldn't be unheard of. Some of these new tower guns are running with only 25cfm of air now. It is amazing.

• Like 1

Blue's FB in the comments said they needed to build a new pumphouse to do the new trail. I'm guessing that's where the holdup is, since Burma's getting thousands of feet of pipe and ten or twenty more guns than the new trail would take.

Right now all their new guns - Tubing, Valley School, Burma - haven't been at the top of the MTN. Maybe they don't think they can get enough pressure without more/better pumps?

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

That trail will never open under current management.  Not even saying that to diss barb or blue, just seems like it’s not financially feasible 

When Vail buys Blue I’m sure Barbs Bush and the condos or hotel will be first thing on the agenda and the waterpark. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Will Blue test the guns for stoke this week? Will Zee Lights be on

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

Will Blue test the guns for stoke this week? Will Zee Lights be on?

772774153_ScreenShot2020-11-13at3_22_36PM.thumb.png.a605e292731d8b53c34765879e866a94.png

Yup Tuesday and Wednesday nights. They might be able to get a little production out.  Barb and Jim if you’re reading this try for a valley opening..will be less hectic and more socially distant. Can open tuts to lazy to falls to homestretch. 

• Like 1

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yup Tuesday and Wednesday nights. They might be able to get a little production out.  Barb and Jim if you’re reading this try for a valley opening..will be less hectic and more socially distant. Can open tuts to lazy to falls to homestretch. 

Yes @RootDKJ lazy. You ready??

4 minutes ago, IceEidolon said:

Anyone got eyes on the lights tonight what with the weather coming? I only see their lot lights.

I keep checking the cams but I dunno if anything's gonna happen tonight.  Do you think it'll be cold enough?

Depends - Palmerton shows maybe a couple hours just before dawn, but they might get a degree or two colder up above the clouds, or the humidity could stay too high and skunk 'em. Tomorrow and Wednesday are the real opportunities. Or they might be out doing setup/system checks. Really it's borderline enough they easily might not go for it tonight, and I forgot that webcams exist so I asked here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Benm said:

I keep checking the cams but I dunno if anything's gonna happen tonight.  Do you think it'll be cold enough?

No, are you starting to get anxious to ski??  Remember to bring some cream pies..I’ll help you distribute them. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Thanks 1