Zee Lights

skifreak

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Next two nights with good production they could have a mini head start going into next cold spell. It’s grate for stoke and thanks for posting for the people who don’t have access to Blues webcam

You’re welcome and anytime. I have better access since I live so close. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, toast21602 said:

1176927309_ScreenShot2020-11-17at9_44_30PM.thumb.png.2c5395e09b481702603cbea6a41dc5a3.pngThis gets me excited even though it will all melt this weekend.

I was gonna just play along and toss out he word "stoke" and pretend that i think theres a shot they can open, but unfortunately i cant argue with your statement.  And boy howdy, would i like to do some arguin' right about now.  

Coldest air of the season allows ski resorts to begin snowmaking

THE MORNING CALL |
NOV 18, 2020 AT 6:54 AM 

With temperatures at night dropping down into the 20s, snowmaking operations are now underway at area ski resorts. 

Blue Mountain Resort in Lower Towamensing Township turned on its snow guns around 9 p.m. Tuesday. “Our system can pump out 14,000 gallons of water a minute and convert it to snow,” mountain manager Bob Taylor told The Morning Call last week, with his team able to groom a trail per day once conditions are favorable.

Live webcams at Blue Mountain showed heavy snow flying through the air Tuesday morning. Temperatures in the area were below freezing, with the humidity continuing to fall. The colder it is and the lower the humidity, the better quality of snow the machines will produce. 

Taylor said his team needs just 80 hours of snowmaking to be up and running as long as conditions remain favorable. 

The National Weather Service said Wednesday will be the coldest day of the season thus far. Temperatures will top out in the upper 30s and low 40s, with a steady breeze that will put wind chills markedly lower.

"While it will not last long, the air mass over us today is quite anomalous in its chill,” the weather service said in its morning forecast discussion.

Forecast lows tonight will be mainly in the low to mid 20s with some upper teens in the coldest spots. A few areas may come within 5 degrees or so of record lows.

Ski resorts will have to get their snowmaking in while they can. The end of the week will feature a transition back to a warmer pattern. Thursday will see highs near normal, and by Friday, most areas will return to the low 60s for highs. 

As long as area resorts have some good cold nights, the snow will likely keep flying. 

“We will let the snow pile and not touch it,” Taylor said, noting that once you touch those piles it’s like cracking an egg. The snow freezes from the outside and is better left undisturbed until it needs to be moved.

The webcams at Blue Mountain showed Vista and Main Street as two of the trails currently being coated in snow. 

Bear Creek Mountain Resort just outside Macungie does not have live webcams showing snowmaking yet. Last week, its team was looking ahead for a four- or five-day window of the right conditions to get started.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The big question remains, when will the next cold snap be.  I’m impressed by Blues snowmaking in marginal temperatures.  By tomorrow morning there are gonna be some whales. 

I think we have at least 2 weeks until we could be skis to snow at Blue. December 4th is my guess for earliest.

• Like 1

Just now, AtomicSkier said:

Open with whatever they have on Easy Out/Vista for Saturday.  Show Vail who is king 😂

And midway to Main Street...that’s a good plan before we watch the snow melt on the webcams. Doesn’t look like camelback is blowing and JFBB webcams are down. You have to give props to Blue..they don’t fuck around with the snowmaking. 

4 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

And midway to Main Street...that’s a good plan before we watch the snow melt 

I think Burma will open earlier than normal this year, possibly with the first pod to open. I conjecture that they know it’s a shit show when people show up for the open and get over their heads in Midway/Main because  Vista isn’t enough, and they wanted a green Root to the doubledouble from jump street. The upgraded guns are supposed to be able produce in more marginal conditions, use less resources and be fully automated, right?

I know an earlier Burma isn’t super exciting to us, but if it keep the Jerry mass off Midway/Main I’m all for it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Damn.....still making snow.  Well, i for one am impressed.  i never thought they would make it till 9 am or so.  

in the comments on that video they said they'd be "going straight through tonight" about an hour ago. i didn't think they'd still be making it either.

46 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

I think Burma will open earlier than normal this year, possibly with the first pod to open. I conjecture that they know it’s a shit show when people show up for the open and get over their heads in Midway/Main because  Vista isn’t enough, and they wanted a green Root to the doubledouble from jump street. The upgraded guns are supposed to be able produce in more marginal conditions, use less resources and be fully automated, right?

I know an earlier Burma isn’t super exciting to us, but if it keep the Jerry mass off Midway/Main I’m all for it.

It’s fine by me it’s a long run and good for practicing tucks 

I'll never understand why they only have ~10 guns on homestretch. That is THE trail they need to get open before anything else and they usually have less production there than anywhere else with those crappy yellow guns. Line that trail on both sides and get that shit open with the vista lift asap. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2