Zee Lights

skifreak

56 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

That is ambitious by looking at the current forecast but I hope that it happens. 

I would agree, other than to really "open" the valley means some snow on Tuts, and connector(?) to lower park.  really thinking about that though, theres quite a bit of real estate to cover just to do that, and i dont think they have like the big firepower in those areas.

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’m happy for blues microclimate..they very well could have the valley open for Xmas week while bear creek will struggle to open with a bonk yard

This is definitely a year I will be wishing success in drawing crowds to the competitors of my preferred mountains. 

PA ski area lift lines could get real ugly Xmas week with the combination of

- Fewer people flying anywhere over break

- Fewer driving to VT to ski

- Vail properties requiring reservations

- Lift capacity cut in half

- Very few indoor recreation options

Biggest thing limiting PA crowds is fewer New Yorkers will be coming to PA to ski - but that will impact Camelback more than Blue

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

5 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

I would agree, other than to really "open" the valley means some snow on Tuts, and connector(?) to lower park.  really thinking about that though, theres quite a bit of real estate to cover just to do that, and i dont think they have like the big firepower in those areas.

In the very short term it might be tough, but I'm sure they want to open the valley as soon as possible just to spread people out. This year it's going to be more important than ever to deliver a good customer experience and having any kind of crowd in one place could upset people. A second lodge would help that tremendously. 

6 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

This is definitely a year I will be wishing success in drawing crowds to the competitors of my preferred mountains. 

Biggest thing limiting PA crowds is fewer New Yorkers will be coming to PA to ski - but that will impact Camelback more than Blue

But Blue is limiting ticket sales.  Xmas week always used to be real busy at Blue and the last few years it wasn’t. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

17 minutes ago, Schif said:

In the very short term it might be tough, but I'm sure they want to open the valley as soon as possible just to spread people out. This year it's going to be more important than ever to deliver a good customer experience and having any kind of crowd in one place could upset people. A second lodge would help that tremendously. 

But it is also a year where they don't want to go bankrupt. Opening up the valley means more costs and services for not much more terrain early in the season.

Edited by toast21602

20 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

I'm sure they want to get the learning center open ASAP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Couple points to ponder here.  

Remember that there is a test/quarantine issue with people entering PA as well.  So, theres a good chance some 2 platers that rent homes Christmas to New years, wont this year, add in the fact ski joints will have limitations on skiing participants, some might not want to even bother with skiing.  

The 2 least crowded hills are JF and BB.  Although they do require a reservation, this may not turn out to be a big deal for them.  I would actually think JFBB would see an uptick when Blue tickets sell out, and people start looking for an alternative.  

Can you show your references where lift capacity is cut in half?  I have yet to see any firm number for PA as far as limiting the number of skiers.  

People that normally spend their time at Sky Zone, or the Bounce House, are unlikely to get it in their head that skiing is a sport they should just take up since their indoor activity is shut down.   

9 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Remember that there is a test/quarantine issue with people entering PA as well.  So, theres a good chance some 2 platers that rent homes Christmas to New years, wont this year, add in the fact ski joints will have limitations on skiing participants, some might not want to even bother with skiing.  

The 2 least crowded hills are JF and BB.  Although they do require a reservation, this may not turn out to be a big deal for them.  I would actually think JFBB would see an uptick when Blue tickets sell out, and people start looking for an alternative.  

Can you show your references where lift capacity is cut in half?  I have yet to see any firm number for PA as far as limiting the number of skiers.  

People that normally spend their time at Sky Zone, or the Bounce House, are unlikely to get it in their head that skiing is a sport they should just take up since their indoor activity is shut down.   

Don't know for sure what Blue's policy on lifts will be. The approach the Epic resorts are taking is they don't allow parties to share lifts except on 6 person lifts they will put a single and a double on opposite ends - but will allow even a single party to have their own chair if they prefer.

By my estimate that approach will cut lift capacity by at least 50%.

Had Blue said what they will do about parties sharing lifts?

Blue's main draw seems to me to be from Philly. They do draw some from NJ - but NJ quarantine rules don't apply to neighboring states, all reports are that PA is not enforcing theirs, and lodging not an issue for NJ to PA skiing. 

Camelback being right off 80 draws much more of the NYC crowd- who now may more likely go to Mountain Creek or Skills due to restrictions 

my take

NY / North 78 NJ Day Trippers - Camelback / Shawnee / Maybe JFBB
NY/NJ/PA People with Second Houses - Camelback / JFBB
SEPA / South 78 NJ - Blue / JFBB
Montage - Only people from Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties

Edited by Benm
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

And actually, those bounce houses aren't necessarily even shut down.  I've been taking my kids almost every week to one.  They have to wear masks, but is open as usual.