Zee Lights

skifreak

12 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

Lots of companies are afraid of FOSS.  It's the future. 

I mean for us in a gigantic multinational company we buy so much from Microsoft, including our shitty ERP that they are throwing in Power BI for free to replace Tableau

PS I'm on Teams right now working with my Marketing class case study team. 

Edited by Schif

12 hours ago, AtomicSkier said:

Because if you think Microsoft is at the forefront of anything you're ... wrong.

Visual Studio Code is probably the best IDE available right now for anything that's client-facing. Not great db stuff or lower level languages, but I think they did well to limit the scope to what they could do well. Atom did kinda pave the way for them with using Electron as its foundation though, so credit where it's due.

12 hours ago, Schif said:

PS I'm on Teams right now working with my Marketing class case study team. 

Teams should be nuked from orbit. Everything about it is terrible, except that it's probably included as part of the office suite for no extra charge.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Justo8484 said:

Visual Studio Code is probably the best IDE available right now for anything that's client-facing. Not great db stuff or lower level languages, but I think they did well to limit the scope to what they could do well. Atom did kinda pave the way for them with using Electron as its foundation though, so credit where it's due.

Teams should be nuked from orbit. Everything about it is terrible, except that it's probably included as part of the office suite for no extra charge.

Teams is a nightmare of epic proportions.  It's too disjoint and confusing to be useful.

I find OneNote to be useful, however.

• Like 1

So much hate for teams. Any particular reason why? It's what we use for everything at work, we are all in on Microsoft, and I really don't have many complaints about it. I use zoom occasionally but never have for any sort of collaborative document editing which is where Teams works pretty well. 

7 minutes ago, Schif said:

So much hate for teams. Any particular reason why? It's what we use for everything at work, we are all in on Microsoft, and I really don't have many complaints about it. I use zoom occasionally but never have for any sort of collaborative document editing which is where Teams works pretty well. 

My biggest issue is the usability/searchability. If I’m having an issue with a particular piece of equipment or product we have when I am installing or troubleshooting it, I could go to Slack and search and find posts from others talking about the eq, product, service or even issue, regardless of what channel it was being discussed in, regardless of whether I had joined that channel. Then I could click on it and read what was being said, all without joining the channel.

With Teams, I can search for something and it will show me messages in Teams I am already a part of. If I search for a Team about an eq/product/service it will show me Teams that are named using the exact word I searched for — no, wait, that would be slightly useful. It will show me Teams that are named STARTING with the exact word I searched for. Which is useless when most Teams start with things like NED-HQ-xxxx-xxxx.

Just now, Justo8484 said:

We still have slack for our org. We just have to use teams to communicate with folks who are not strictly on the software side of things.

They actually cancelled (delayed) removing Slack access from those of us they haven’t killed off yet due to Covid, but they had already moved enough people that it’s not nearly as useful as it was.