Zee Lights

skifreak

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yeah skis aren't like buying a pair of pants at Kohls and realizing they're a little snug and returning them.  They aren't refundable unless there's a defect and then you have to ship them to the manufacturer which is probably in Tahiti or china or Idaho or somewhere exotic 

Yes, last year's model, $599 with bindings. Printing out price comparisons is a great idea.

The shop I go to highly recommended Volkl RTMs, and now I am seeing them everywhere on the slopes. They seem like an excellent option for an intermediate, but I still don't fully understand how the various designs alter one's skiing. I know that stiffer skis hold an edge better, and that longer skis provide more stability at higher speeds. I should probably do a little more research before buying, such as understanding "rocker" vs. "camber", etc.

Also I think Volkl is the coolest sounding brand for skis.

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Yes, last year's model, $599 with bindings. Printing out price comparisons is a great idea.

The shop I go to highly recommended Volkl RTMs, and now I am seeing them everywhere on the slopes. They seem like an excellent option for an intermediate, but I still don't fully understand how the various designs alter one's skiing. I know that stiffer skis hold an edge better, and that longer skis provide more stability at higher speeds. I should probably do a little more research before buying, such as understanding "rocker" vs. "camber", etc.

The only piece of advice you should listen to is TEST DRIVE THE SKI BEFORE YOU BUY IT. Pay $60 at BM on a weekday like today and drive them all into the ground. I'll give you an example of why...

I ski Atomic Redster SL skis. They hold the edge amazingly well, I haven't seen yet anything better than that. And my friend has recently bought Fischer RC4 SL. Those are also slalom skis, same length as mine (won't tell you the exact number, or many here will have a heart attack), and those are very highly rated. And today they just didn't perform. At all. We both swapped a few times, I sharpened them before the trip, then we gave them a tune again at the store, and nothing, really nothing helped. They're just much more difficult to drive in hard and icy conditions like today, they tend to go sideways all the time, and as a result you can't trust them.

So here, two very respectable skis in the same SL category, same length, same TR, same waist, and one is amazing, and the other one underperforms.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Honestly I think K2 is the coolest sounding brand of skis because gosh K2 is the worlds second highest mountain. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eaf said:

The only piece of advice you should listen to is TEST DRIVE THE SKI BEFORE YOU BUY IT. Pay $60 at BM on a weekday like today and drive them all into the ground. I'll give you an example of why...

I ski Atomic Redster SL skis. They hold the edge amazingly well, I haven't seen yet anything better than that. And my friend has recently bought Fischer RC4 SL. Those are also slalom skis, same length as mine (won't tell you the exact number, or many here will have a heart attack), and those are very highly rated. And today they just didn't perform. At all. We both swapped a few times, I sharpened them before the trip, then we gave them a tune again at the store, and nothing, really nothing helped. They're just much more difficult to drive in hard and icy conditions like today, they tend to go sideways all the time, and as a result you can't trust them.

So here, two very respectable skis in the same SL category, same length, same TR, same waist, and one is amazing, and the other one underperforms.

What are they 165s???  What skis would be good on a day like today?  My shiros rocked last night in the spring snow..obviously not good in the bumps..my mantras are way better in the bumps since they're narrower and shorter 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

Please don't drop $600 on skis without at least testing something other than the beginner skis you are on. Ideally you should demo the skis that you want to buy, but for sure test something else out. And I'll once again urge you to consider going wider than the RTM81s you were talking about getting as your daily driver ski. Given that you will be a predominantly Poconos skier, and with all the warmth cycles we go through even in the middle of winter your going to see a tone of chop, soft pile snow and other crappy conditions where the extra width will be very welcome.

At the very least test some different widths to see what you like. I'm planning to be at Blue tomorrow night, if you do go I'm happy to let you take a run or two on my Rossi Exp88 HDs. Blue also offers demos for $60 where you can take out up to three pairs of skis, and they will apply the 60 to a purchase if you make one. They don't have Volkl or Rossi, but the Head Monster and Soloman XDrive series should be pretty comparable. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, enjoralas said:

Please don't drop $600 on skis without at least testing something other than the beginner skis you are on. Ideally you should demo the skis that you want to buy, but for sure test something else out. And I'll once again urge you to consider going wider than the RTM81s you were talking about getting as your daily driver ski. Given that you will be a predominantly Poconos skier, and with all the warmth cycles we go through even in the middle of winter your going to see a tone of chop, soft pile snow and other crappy conditions where the extra width will be very welcome.

At the very least test some different widths to see what you like. I'm planning to be at Blue tomorrow night, if you do go I'm happy to let you take a run or two on my Rossi Exp88 HDs. Blue also offers demos for $60 where you can take out up to three pairs of skis, and they will apply the 60 to a purchase if you make one. They don't have Volkl or Rossi, but the Head Monster and Soloman XDrive series should be pretty comparable. 

Thanks Enjorales. It seems there are so many variations to skis that it's a bit overwhelming. Length, width, flex, camber, rocker, thickness, edge sharpness... aaah!

Width is definitely something I'll factor in. I didn't know Blue lets you try 3 pairs for $60, that's pretty reasonable. I appreciate you offering me to try your skis, I assume you know how to adjust the binding to accommodate my boots?

2 hours ago, indiggio said:

What happened to the Elons?

They're good, just looking for something different for the crappy conditions we get here in NEPA. I can ski on them just fine, but I think it will be fun to try something different, and maybe it will help improve my skiing so I look like the guy in the Volkl promo picture.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks Enjorales. It seems there are so many variations to skis that it's a bit overwhelming. Length, width, flex, camber, rocker, thickness, edge sharpness... aaah!

Width is definitely something I'll factor in. I didn't know Blue lets you try 3 pairs for $60, that's pretty reasonable. I appreciate you offering me to try your skis, I assume you know how to adjust the binding to accommodate my boots?

Yeah, mine were ex-Demos that I picked up at Camelback last season so they have adjustable bindings on them.