Jackson Hole stoke thread...2015-16!!!

GrilledSteezeSandwich

January 27th, 2018

Day 2 of 7

Hey All,

I'm back from another fun day at Jackson hole mountain resort. There was 7" of new snow overnight with the majority of it falling overnight.  Amazing since town received a scant 1/2" or so. We arrived at the Ranch Lot at around 8am and there were a lot more cars than yesterday. High tailed it up to the gondola and managed to be right near the front of the line..not first gondola but third or fourth.  We chatted with the same father and son from South Carolina we talked to yesterday and the son was like a 9th grade version of Salty complete with go amateur and short skis.  

First run was amphitheater to the thunder lift which was pleasent pleasent but had a fair number of tracks thanks to the wallets who poney up several hundred dollars for first track privileges and an instructor.  Well you know what wallets you can have that fresh on Ampy..cause we got fresh on the rest of the mountain beginning with the left side of grand which was immaculate instantly that pow day at blu last week was a distant memory..then up ten sleep bowl to the cirque for piles of piles of fresh. I was the photographer today and got some great action shots. 

Back down to thunder and back to grand for free refills even farther left which were so good..the hoots and hollers were coming from every direction. Back up sublette again and into the Hobacks..since the Hobacks just opened a few days ago the entrance was mellow and once in them we were greeted to large swaths of untracked powder for 2/3 of them. The bottom 1/3 was a little boney and not as deep but didn't have the usual moguls.  

Down to the base via the union pass lift and I pounded a 20 ounce Gatorade fast enough to get a brain freeze then up teewinot to apres vous and doodled in some woods which were decent but not epic then over to Casper lift via some of the lower Moran woods and up Casper and I made the executive decision to hit up Marmot lift because it's sort of overlooked and I knew some of the woods between marmot and the gondola would be good and I was right.  They were so good that we skied them 3-4 times each time tracking up as much possible powder as possible. No bad turns..no underlying crust..just sweetness..

Me and Atomic Jeff then skied to the base via a bunch of random runs and NMSki and JFDan stayed out for another two runs or so.  Atomic Jeff and I bum rushed a table of people leaving a full capacity mangy moose and promptly ordered two pitchers of 7.5% IPA. I told the waitress that if she was strict about checking JFDan and NMSkis IDs I would throw her an extra ten dollars and JFDan sure was dumbfounded to have to show ID and he asked the waitress how old he looked and she said 18 lol..and I promptly threw her two sweaty $5 bills lol

We all had a nice late lunch and some road sodas and are back at the 49er now..MBike Mike and Nastar Glenn arrive in about four hours and we set the Suburban up to accommodate all six of and our ski gear. I don't know how 7 people will fit when PARidge arrives tomorrow but we'll figure it out and I'll happily take the bus a day or two to accommodate the others..it's my way of giving back to PASR..lol. 

While yesterday was a half powder day, today was a full pow day and there's no ifs ands or butts that tomorrow won't be the same or even better.  These are the best of times in Jackson hole as it continues to dump my favorite drug..no not marijuana..that's a plant I'm talking about snow!!

• Like 5

Best report ever! However I don't wear a Go Amateur, but I do wear a Go Pro, so that SC kid was not even remotely similar to me. Also 170's are very long skis. That sucks it costs so much for FirstTrax, but glad you found some untracked stashes. Good trolling in the bar, I laughed out loud.

Yesterday's crowds were unexpected.  They were worse today, but we were prepared.  We were always ahead of the pack, and got more pow than 99.5% people out there today.  5 pow runs at the end of the day including our secret weapon.  A top 10 hobacks fun for sure.  I thin JFskidan and NMSki are JH fans after today.

• Like 5

Today was a great day. Pow pow!   Some high quality big fresh turns followed by some deep trees. Jeff and Doug really have this place figured out as far as where to go when. More of the same conditions tomorrow. 

Edited by JFskiDan
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

January 27th, 2018

Day 2 of 7

Hey All,

I'm back from another fun day at Jackson hole mountain resort. There was 7" of new snow overnight with the majority of it falling overnight.  Amazing since town received a scant 1/2" or so. We arrived at the Ranch Lot at around 8am and there were a lot more cars than yesterday. High tailed it up to the gondola and managed to be right near the front of the line..not first gondola but third or fourth.  We chatted with the same father and son from South Carolina we talked to yesterday and the son was like a 9th grade version of Salty complete with go amateur and short skis.  

First run was amphitheater to the thunder lift which was pleasent pleasent but had a fair number of tracks thanks to the wallets who poney up several hundred dollars for first track privileges and an instructor.  Well you know what wallets you can have that fresh on Ampy..cause we got fresh on the rest of the mountain beginning with the left side of grand which was immaculate instantly that pow day at blu last week was a distant memory..then up ten sleep bowl to the cirque for piles of piles of fresh. I was the photographer today and got some great action shots. 

Back down to thunder and back to grand for free refills even farther left which were so good..the hoots and hollers were coming from every direction. Back up sublette again and into the Hobacks..since the Hobacks just opened a few days ago the entrance was mellow and once in them we were greeted to large swaths of untracked powder for 2/3 of them. The bottom 1/3 was a little boney and not as deep but didn't have the usual moguls.  

Down to the base via the union pass lift and I pounded a 20 ounce Gatorade fast enough to get a brain freeze then up teewinot to apres vous and doodled in some woods which were decent but not epic then over to Casper lift via some of the lower Moran woods and up Casper and I made the executive decision to hit up Marmot lift because it's sort of overlooked and I knew some of the woods between marmot and the gondola would be good and I was right.  They were so good that we skied them 3-4 times each time tracking up as much possible powder as possible. No bad turns..no underlying crust..just sweetness..

Me and Atomic Jeff then skied to the base via a bunch of random runs and NMSki and JFDan stayed out for another two runs or so.  Atomic Jeff and I bum rushed a table of people leaving a full capacity mangy moose and promptly ordered two pitchers of 7.5% IPA. I told the waitress that if she was strict about checking JFDan and NMSkis IDs I would throw her an extra ten dollars and JFDan sure was dumbfounded to have to show ID and he asked the waitress how old he looked and she said 18 lol..and I promptly threw her two sweaty $5 bills lol

We all had a nice late lunch and some road sodas and are back at the 49er now..MBike Mike and Nastar Glenn arrive in about four hours and we set the Suburban up to accommodate all six of and our ski gear. I don't know how 7 people will fit when PARidge arrives tomorrow but we'll figure it out and I'll happily take the bus a day or two to accommodate the others..it's my way of giving back to PASR..lol. 

While yesterday was a half powder day, today was a full pow day and there's no ifs ands or butts that tomorrow won't be the same or even better.  These are the best of times in Jackson hole as it continues to dump my favorite drug..no not marijuana..that's a plant I'm talking about snow!!

How was Corbet's? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1