Big news from Blue

RidgeRacer

3 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Maybe. Then we can hangout in the bar. 

I would reluctantly accept this if it came to that.  It’s the people that make the lot great, not the setting itself.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I would reluctantly accept this if it came to that.  It’s the people that make the lot great, not the setting itself.  

True and I really don’t see security being up in our business when we want to have a couple beers.  Our row is pretty mellow compared to some of the others who do tailgating even during the week. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

i find it interesting that not much info comes up on BMR Resorts, and not much more press other than TNonline, and some other local thing which was identical to TNonline.  

Where are all the guys here that have "insider info"?

BMR resorts LLC is a brand new corporation for info on who’s going to manage Blue look up KSL

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

i went to try and snag bmrresort.com but it was registered Apr 2021. 

they are not incorporated in denver. i went to colorado's site, no results, so i went to the business haven of the US (delaware) and found it there. 

it was formed apr 19 2021

the domain was registered apr 22 by someone in china, presumably they are just searching new business formations and registering domains. 

bmr dropped the ball by not registering it.

it's also possible that it is a business unrelated to blue, but i doubt it. i'm not paying to find out more details. if someone else wants to, go ahead.

https://icis.corp.delaware.gov/ecorp/entitysearch/NameSearch.aspx
file number 5850884

Edited by Benm

2 minutes ago, Benm said:

they are not incorporated in denver. i went to colorado's site, no results, so i went to the business haven of the US (delaware) and found it there. 

the domain was registered apr 22 by someone in china, presumably they are just searching new business formations and registering domains. 

I doubt they were planning on having a website.  

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I doubt they were planning on having a website.  

it's not always about having a website.

sometimes it's about preventing someone else from putting whatever they want there. 

they also might have wanted to have @bmrrresort.com email accts since its a combo of tuthill+blue+ksl.

Edited by Benm
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Benm said:

it's not always about having a website.

sometimes it's about preventing someone else from putting whatever they want there. 

they also might have wanted to have @bmrrresort.com email accts since its a combo of tuthill+blue+ksl.

I'm impressed by your deep dive

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

BMR resorts is a shell company...do I need to tell you that in Spanish??

BMR Resorts es una empresa fantasma

I would like some info on the shell company.  Spanish, please.  

2 hours ago, Benm said:

it's also possible that it is a business unrelated to blue, but i doubt it. i'm not paying to find out more details. if someone else wants to, go ahead.

https://icis.corp.delaware.gov/ecorp/entitysearch/NameSearch.aspx
file number 5850884

i find it really strange that there is nothing about BMR Resorts, Denver CO, when it mentions it in the small town press release from TNonline. But i did see the Delaware thing, but, yeah, that could kinda be anything, or a coincidence.  And i do sort of get what Grilled Sneeze is laying down about the shell company, but, ok, saying its based in CO?  Maybe because thats where Vail lives?  I looked at the tax records for Blue, the properties are owned by Tuthill Corp, (no surprise there), but one of the deed dates was 8/8/2021, which is super weird since its a sunday.  I aim to keep an eye on the properties to see how they get deeded, which will take a few weeks probably.  

Also, its funny that its BMR Resorts, like, Blue Mountain Resorts Resorts?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Blue Mountain Racing. They already take over the lift lines and the trails... why not the whole place? 

The letters BM&R put together as an acronym like that increase my anxiety levels. When I see it I instantly feel the need to stand idle for about 20 minutes as if I were stuck in a lift line then dodge things uncontrollably. Bizarre 

From the Morning Call:

Blue Mountain Resort has officially been sold, ushering in a new chapter for the longtime Carbon County ski destination that involves a familiar name who has led the operation for the last 15 years as well as a private equity-backed hospitality company.

Tuthill Corp. sold 33 parcels in Lower Towamensing Township to Denver-based BMR Resort LLC for nearly $31.9 million, according to a deed recorded July 13.

What wasn’t clear until the deed became public was whether KSL was taking an ownership interest in Blue Mountain.

A KSL Resorts spokesperson confirmed Monday that BMR Resort is the company formed to buy the land, buildings and assets of Tuthill Corp., the prior operator of Blue Mountain.

Blue Mountain President and CEO Barbara Green, who took over the resort in 2007 from her father, founder Ray Tuthill, “remains as an owner” of BMR Resort and continues as CEO. Kathy Henderson, director of economic development for the Carbon Chamber & Economic Development Corp., said Green is “still heavily involved in the organization and the running of the mountain.”

In a statement in May, Green said the resort was excited to join KSL Resorts. “I look forward to partnering with KSL to further enhance Blue Mountain Resort and welcome their resort expertise and five-star approach to guest experiences,” she said.

Blue Mountain has made its own investments over the years to become an all-season resort but had been searching for a capital investor to move forward with some of its larger plans. Henderson and other local officials believe KSL will be able to invest the necessary funds to further transform Blue Mountain. Some of Blue Mountain’s expansions in recent years include the opening of the year-round Slopeside Pub & Grill, as well as automated snowmaking investments and a larger terrain-based hill for those learning to ski or snowboard. Some expansions, however, have remained elusive, such as a longtime plan to add lodging to Blue Mountain.

In 2016, the resort announced plans for Vista Lodge Residence Club, a “four-star condominium resort hotel” that would be connected to the event venue at the peak of the mountain. In 2019, Green said Blue Mountain was searching for a capital investor for the Vista Lodge project.

It’s a different industry than it was when Ray Tuthill bought more than 322 acres in Carbon County in 1962. In 1977, he opened the then-named Little Gap Ski Area, offering four trails and two lifts in its first year of operation. Lift tickets were just $12. Back then, there were around 40 ski areas in Pennsylvania and 735 nationwide, according to a Blue Mountain news release from 2017 in advance of its 40th anniversary Dec. 22, 2017. During the 2019-20 season, according to the National Ski Areas Association, there were 470 ski areas across 37 U.S. states, a number that has stabilized over the last couple of decades.

In Pennsylvania, there were 26 ski areas operating during the 2019-20 season, the association said. That trailed New York (51), Michigan (40), Wisconsin and Colorado (31 each), and California and New Hampshire (30 each).

Morning Call reporter Jon Harris can be reached at 484-280-2866 or at jon.harris@mcall.com.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

In Pennsylvania, there were 26 ski areas operating during the 2019-20 season, the association said. That trailed New York (51), Michigan (40), Wisconsin and Colorado (31 each), and California and New Hampshire (30 each).

These are fun facts

7 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

From the Morning Call:

Blue Mountain Resort has officially been sold, ushering in a new chapter for the longtime Carbon County ski destination that involves a familiar name who has led the operation for the last 15 years as well as a private equity-backed hospitality company.

Tuthill Corp. sold 33 parcels in Lower Towamensing Township to Denver-based BMR Resort LLC for nearly $31.9 million, according to a deed recorded July 13.

What wasn’t clear until the deed became public was whether KSL was taking an ownership interest in Blue Mountain.

A KSL Resorts spokesperson confirmed Monday that BMR Resort is the company formed to buy the land, buildings and assets of Tuthill Corp., the prior operator of Blue Mountain.

Blue Mountain President and CEO Barbara Green, who took over the resort in 2007 from her father, founder Ray Tuthill, “remains as an owner” of BMR Resort and continues as CEO. Kathy Henderson, director of economic development for the Carbon Chamber & Economic Development Corp., said Green is “still heavily involved in the organization and the running of the mountain.”

In a statement in May, Green said the resort was excited to join KSL Resorts. “I look forward to partnering with KSL to further enhance Blue Mountain Resort and welcome their resort expertise and five-star approach to guest experiences,” she said.

Blue Mountain has made its own investments over the years to become an all-season resort but had been searching for a capital investor to move forward with some of its larger plans. Henderson and other local officials believe KSL will be able to invest the necessary funds to further transform Blue Mountain. Some of Blue Mountain’s expansions in recent years include the opening of the year-round Slopeside Pub & Grill, as well as automated snowmaking investments and a larger terrain-based hill for those learning to ski or snowboard. Some expansions, however, have remained elusive, such as a longtime plan to add lodging to Blue Mountain.

In 2016, the resort announced plans for Vista Lodge Residence Club, a “four-star condominium resort hotel” that would be connected to the event venue at the peak of the mountain. In 2019, Green said Blue Mountain was searching for a capital investor for the Vista Lodge project.

It’s a different industry than it was when Ray Tuthill bought more than 322 acres in Carbon County in 1962. In 1977, he opened the then-named Little Gap Ski Area, offering four trails and two lifts in its first year of operation. Lift tickets were just $12. Back then, there were around 40 ski areas in Pennsylvania and 735 nationwide, according to a Blue Mountain news release from 2017 in advance of its 40th anniversary Dec. 22, 2017. During the 2019-20 season, according to the National Ski Areas Association, there were 470 ski areas across 37 U.S. states, a number that has stabilized over the last couple of decades.

Morning Call reporter Jon Harris can be reached at 484-280-2866 or at jon.harris@mcall.com.

That was actually pretty decent..the morning call must have dozens of blue mountain articles in their archives.  I’m surprised that Ray Tuthill ran blue right up to his death in 2007 that there was no succession plan earlier.  I know Barb grew up on Long Island and has an accounting background. In college she dated a guy named Steve Markoff who was on the ski Vermont discussion list and he went to Lehigh.  When me and Atomic Jeff had our meeting with Barb in 2009 I brought him up and she gave me that WTF look...

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Blue Mountain Resort Resort is kind of redundant.

Is the idea that if they say resort twice we won't notice that it's not actually a resort?

It’s blue mountain ski area to me. They don’t even have hotel rooms..they have a couple of glamping structures that they obviously have a hard time booking as they now offer a $50 gift card for slopeside grill if you book a two night stay...blue mountain is kind of ghetto and rough around the edges and that’s part of why I like the place and sometimes my ears even pop when I’m driving down the mountain road.  If I had a sportscar like the Dude4Bides I’d park at the summit 

I read through it and it doesn't seem like a huge deal. I use to work for an advisory firm that did business and estate planning. I'm not an expert but here are takeaways. 

(1) It's not that big of a deal.

(2) Update legal docs: They had a piece of business called Tuthill Corporation. I would imagine that some of those legal documents may be outdated. It sounds like there's a holding company and you can have multiple LLC's within it. So a benefit could be that they're updating their documents to reflect their intentions. It was incorporated in 1974 and amended 3x. Ray Tuthill passed away in 2007, so it likely needed a refresh anyway. 

(3) Corp to LLC: It's going from a Corporate structure to LLC.  They're likely trying to lessen the tax burden of being a corporation.

(4) Naming/Brand: There's another corporation called Tuthill Corp that manufactures and distributes engineered products like pumps, meters, vacuum pumps, etc. They're likely trying to get away from the "Tuthill corporation" name. There's also a branding benefit when you move away from a family name to a branded name. 

It honestly just sounds like they 

• Thanks 1