Damgerous Gore conditions last week

Ski2Live Live2Ski

I wasn't actually at Gore this weekend, but I skied with someone Sunday at Camelback who had been at Gore Friday and said conditions there were dangerously treacherous - really just a sheet of ice that nobody could make a turn on without razor sharp edges.

And there is a current news item that enable experienced skier lost control skiing a "packed powder" double black "Lies" and careened of the trail and hit several trees before dying.

So I would be quite wary of skiing there until they get or make some decent snow.

How often do you get folks relocating their ski plans from Gore to Camelback for better conditions?

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Had been thinking about taking kids to Gore this weekend (they have a kids ski free week) but sounds like conditions are real bad there again.  Probably do PA instead unless things change.

They are getting snow right now. Things will change. Go. Maybe you can get a cheap Frontier flight. 

• Like 2

Skied Gore last Saturday. They got about 4" from the storm once it turned to snow. Most of the lifts were iced up so terrain was limited. Conditions were great except where the water had pooled and froze. But you could ski around the ice. Heard Sunday was much better. I think Gore will be great this weekend after this storm.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Skied Gore last Saturday. They got about 4" from the storm once it turned to snow. Most of the lifts were iced up so terrain was limited. Conditions were great except where the water had pooled and froze. But you could ski around the ice. Heard Sunday was much better. I think Gore will be great this weekend after this storm.

Cool, I will stay tuned. Psyched to go if conditions look promising. 

They are still saying the primary surface is LG there with 6-18" base - which is far from awesome, and you always expect are reports to be better than reality.

I think it makes more sense to ski PA this weekend rather than deal with the extra driving and hotels for those conditions.