3/6....still winter.

BINGO!!!

PSIA = I'm right....do it my way.

I remember teaching this girl one time who couldn't get into a wedge whatsoever.

She had no problems with balance, or keeping her ankle joints flexed.

I pulled her aside from the group and demonstrated a parallel turn and asked her to try it. First time she did it perfect. I had her do it again but making a right instead of a left turn. Once again no problem whatsoever. I wanted to send her over to linking turns but another instructor told me that she needed to be able to maintain a wedge.

Wtf? I thought the point of a beginner (first time on skis) was to get them familiar with the equipment, and give them the basics to get them down the hill safely on their own using proper techniques.

Imo if she's able to skip wedge christy and go directly to proper parallel turns.... Fuck the crawl before you walk bullshit and run with what's working for her.

PSIA....says that's wrong.

That's absolutely incorrect. There are direct to parallel methods.

There very well may be, none that I personally was taught.

Let's face it, there are a lot of variations and takes on it. PSIA has a lot of grey area within itself. Just being honest.

I was in a group who cared more about the customers outcome than following every guideline.

I don't disagree with most of the PSIA methods, but the overall PSIA attitude is....I'm right, do it my way.

My attitude is "you could possibly improve if you tried this"

have fun, be responsible,respectful and safe.

When you are going through piles of snow speed is your friend. It's like driving up a hill in snow. All about momentum. Have fun making your little doodle slow deliberate turns in deep slush with your fancy pole plants.

What did Robert used to always say?

Edited by poconoceancity

There very well may be, none that I personally was taught.

Let's face it, there are a lot of variations and takes on it. PSIA has a lot of grey area within itself. Just being honest.

I was in a group who cared more about the customers outcome than following every guideline.

I don't disagree with most of the PSIA methods, but the overall PSIA attitude is....I'm right, do it my way.

My attitude is "you could possibly improve if you tried this"

have fun, be responsible,respectful and safe.

I really don't know what you were exposed or when you were exposed to it or by whom but that's just not right...

The certification tests specifically deal with that very thing. You are tested on visual learners, auditory learners, or kinesthetic learners. How do your teach a thinker/listener versus a feeler/doer? How do you reach both types in the same group?

You need to know how to reach each one. And you need to have multiple ways of getting to the same outcome. You need to understand ages and stages of development I.e. How are the physical bodies different between 4-7yrs, 7-12, teens, etc. what are the mental developmental differences between age groups... It's literally like studying for a college course trying to pass these exams. You won't pass if you have a "do it my way" attitude. Flexibility is key and the ability to be agile in how you teach is key.

PSIA is not about rigid technique at all and PSIA is most definitely not one "certain type of skiing". That's pure misinformation. The culmination of it all at its highest levels is being able to teach skiing to any ability on any terrain in any conditions. The upper echelons of PSIA fucking rip, man. They shred and have the biggest balls you can imagine. I figured you'd be one of the few that understands that.

And, furthermore, the only thing stupid here is Doug's stupid advise.

Nah dude, I'm not saying they aren't great skiers or anything like that though they do have a dogmatic approach I mean they all ski very similarly again that's not wrong but that's what they are interested in. They like the tech approach to skiing whereas other do not and all I'm saying is that's cool.

I'm saying nobody gets to tell other people this is the way you have to ski, the definition of the experience comes from the person doing the riding. I'm saying its all good.

EDIT: I'm not shitting on PSIA I'm saying that's just one thing you can do on skis and there are lots of cool ass shit you can do on skis. Me and my brother have a bag full of stupid skiing tricks like the mine car, cartoon train car, ballet skiing moves etc they serve no purpose other than fun and that shit is cool just like making real nice 13m turns top to bottom.

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 1

Bahahaha concussion Ted also said becoming a ski Patroller was like passing a college course. Ski instructors and ski patrollers need to check your egos at the door. Fact you guys aren't gods gift to skiing and most of you are slow as fuck and ski like fucking robots. I'm happy PASR has mainly been about people just having a good time and not those who do it as a profession. TheDude might like epicski. Lots of gapers there who discuss making that perfect turn. You can also share stories about the blinde folded circle jerks during your rookie year.

post-512-0-71474600-1457462671_thumb.jpeg

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

I really don't know what you were exposed or when you were exposed to it or by whom but that's just not right...

The certification tests specifically deal with that very thing. You are tested on visual learners, auditory learners, or kinesthetic learners. How do your teach a thinker/listener versus a feeler/doer? How do you reach both types in the same group?

You need to know how to reach each one. And you need to have multiple ways of getting to the same outcome. You need to understand ages and stages of development I.e. How are the physical bodies different between 4-7yrs, 7-12, teens, etc. what are the mental developmental differences between age groups... It's literally like studying for a college course trying to pass these exams. You won't pass if you have a "do it my way" attitude. Flexibility is key and the ability to be agile in how you teach is key.

Everything you just said is exactly what I was taught....

I'm definitely not getting my point across correctly. I definitely don't mean the methodology is my way or it's wrong. It's the attitude.

Think more along the lines of stereotypes.

Those who have gone through racing programs ski like X

Those who are PSIA ski like Y

Those who are from the non parabolic ski generation and haven't fully adapted ski like Z

Than there's the self taught/learned from a friend type which fall into A-X

Generally speaking those who are from the Y model think everyone outside of the Y and most in the X model are just wrong....

Nah dude, I'm not saying they aren't great skiers or anything like that though they do have a dogmatic approach I mean they all ski very similarly again that's not wrong but that's what they are interested in. They like the tech approach to skiing whereas other do not and all I'm saying is that's cool.

I'm saying nobody gets to tell other people this is the way you have to ski, the definition of the experience comes from the person doing the riding. I'm saying its all good.

There are only a few basic skills in skiing, right? BERP. That's it. What BERP doesn't mention is how to do it:

1. moving your center of mass along a continuously changing base of support

2. Continually developing pressure from outside ski to outside ski through turns

3. Control edge angle through combo of inclination/angulation.

4. Control ski rotation (steering) seperate lower body from upper body movements.

5.) Regulate magnitude of pressure through ski/snow interaction

It's not dogmatic, it's literally physics principles.

Bahahaha concussion Ted also said becoming a ski Patroller was like passing a college course. Ski instructors and ski patrollers need to check your egos at the door. Fact you guys aren't gods gift to skiing and most of you are slow as fuck and ski like fucking robots. I'm happy PASR has mainly been about people just having a good time and not those who do it as a profession. TheDude might like epicski. Lots of gapers there who discuss making that perfect turn. You can also share stories about the blinde folded circle jerks during your rookie year.

attachicon.gif [url=http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=7478]image.jpeurl]

Shut up, Doug, the adults are talking now. Edited by thedude4bides

There are only a few basic skills in skiing, right? BERP. That's it. What BERP doesn't mention is how to do it:

1. moving your center of mass along a continuously changing base of support

2. Continually developing pressure from outside ski to outside ski through turns

3. Control edge angle through combo of inclination/angulation.

4. Control ski rotation (steering) seperate lower body from upper body movements.

5.) Regulate magnitude of pressure through ski/snow interaction

It's not dogmatic, it's literally physics principles.

hhahaha what we have here is a failure to communicate.

I'm not disagreeing with you, PSIA is mostly right in terms of how to get down the hill, yes it is based in some sense on physical principles.

That's not the point, the point is you or PSIA or me or anybody doesn't have the right to define what snow sports are to another person. Every person has the right to say I want to go down the hill in less than an ideal manner.

You like your thing, I like mine, doug likes his, it's all good because it's a self defined experience.

It is dogmatic, PSIA heads all run the same gear and like what's the PSIA tech for 1 foot of cream with 2" of crust. Tailgunning isn't in the playbook but if you like to tour you'll see that kind of snow. Different strokes for different folks.

Y'all take this technique shit way too seriously, just hop on your planks and go down the mountain

This is what I'm talking about tp4 wants to have a good time going down the hill, PSIA or you or me can't tell him he's doing it wrong we do not define his experience, he does. Now it may certainly be that he could learn lots of shit from PSIA and be a "better" boarder but it cannot invalidate his experience because he chooses to do it a different way.

hhahaha what we have here is a failure to communicate.

I'm not disagreeing with you, PSIA is mostly right in terms of how to get down the hill, yes it is based in some sense on physical principles.

That's not the point, the point is you or PSIA or me or anybody doesn't have the right to define what snow sports are to another person. Every person has the right to say I want to go down the hill in less than an ideal manner.

You like your thing, I like mine, doug likes his, it's all good because it's a self defined experience.

It is dogmatic, PSIA heads all run the same gear and like what's the PSIA tech for 1 foot of cream with 2" of crust. Tailgunning isn't in the playbook but if you like to tour you'll see that kind of snow. Different strokes for different folks.

This is what I'm talking about tp4 wants to have a good time going down the hill, PSIA or you or me can't tell him he's doing it wrong we do not define his experience, he does. Now it may certainly be that he could learn lots of shit from PSIA and be a "better" boarder but it cannot invalidate his experience because he chooses to do it a different way.

No wonder we are talking past eachother... No one is trying to define anything for anyone. Are you just skimming through this shit while defending Doug because wow, dude, all I did was correct misinformation from Doug. Then you go ahead and land this diatribe on PSIA... Then claim its dogmatic, then claim you agree it's based on "some sense" of physics...

The Gods honest truth is that the opinions I've seen here are more dogmatic than anything I've been exposed to in the PSIA world...

Edit: one last thing... Tail-gunning is in the playbook.

Edited by thedude4bides