Re: ski storage following horrible season

JollyJake99

2015-16 History of Skis:  December: binding check, tuned & stone ground, multiple layers of base prep wax, one layer underlayment wax, wax of the day.  Skied on ONLY twice: the weather, family illness, the weather, dr.'s appointments, the weather, veterinary problems, the weather.

Current Plans for 2016-17: Touch up edges; Wax heavily with undercoat wax (enough to cover the edges); store until next season; scrape off storage layer; wax with wax of the day, then ski.  Get binding check only if significant change in weight.

Thoughts, comments, pros & cons?

Thanks!

I generally just store them in a dry closet, vertical, with a plastic dish under them to protect against moisture. No storage wax any more. I do all the work pre-season. I should do a binding check every season, but confess to doing it only alternate seasons. But pre-season, they'd get "the works". However, in your case, given the lack of use, I'd only do wax of the day and go ski. Depends on what they look like when you take them out of the closet if I'd even worry about brushing them. I've had skis look brand new when I took them out in October.

I just finished up the post season maintenance work on skis, including side wall planing, and setting the edges on my new Kastles.  The edges on those things are polished to a mirror finish.  I take the diamond stones to all the skis, hot wax/scrape then storage wax on all the pairs of skis for the summer.  Was probably 4 hours of work for 3 skis (the race skis were already done earlier in the season).  I like having nothing to do but scrape next winter.

• Like 2

Why bother waxing at all if it's only once a season, I'm wondering? It's only going to last about three days with the manmade snow. It doesn't work like lemon oil for wood, sinking in and staying there. It only goes so deep and eventually is skied out of every little hiding place in the structure and now needs to be replaced. You might get five days on soft snow at best. So, if an unwaxed ski is good the rest of the season, why do it at all? It's not "conditioning" the p-tex the way old ski "dope" conditioned old wooden skis. It's facilitating glide only as long as there is some actually on the ski. Once it's off and abrasion is occurring because the wax molecules aren't there to be sheered off instead, the ski's ability to glide on certain types of snow is increasingly impacted, but its ability to accept wax on the abraded (base burned) areas is also reduced. Slapping wax on after three months doesn't fix the abrasion, it needs a stone grind or sustained work with a base flattening/structure tool. So, I've gotta ask, if the slowly reduced performance after its three days with wax isn't bugging you, why do it at all? Maybe it's wishful thinking? Possibly the usual icy conditions there really don't even require wax for glide, and only fresh snow (natural or uncured man-made) would yield a benefit? If that is what's happening, then why spend the money?

But your edges? Different story. You guys need your edges sharp. Here we need wax, but we can let the edges go most years.

• Like 1

Why bother waxing at all if it's only once a season, I'm wondering? It's only going to last about three days with the manmade snow. It doesn't work like lemon oil for wood, sinking in and staying there. It only goes so deep and eventually is skied out of every little hiding place in the structure and now needs to be replaced. You might get five days on soft snow at best. So, if an unwaxed ski is good the rest of the season, why do it at all? It's not "conditioning" the p-tex the way old ski "dope" conditioned old wooden skis. It's facilitating glide only as long as there is some actually on the ski. Once it's off and abrasion is occurring because the wax molecules aren't there to be sheered off instead, the ski's ability to glide on certain types of snow is increasingly impacted, but its ability to accept wax on the abraded (base burned) areas is also reduced. Slapping wax on after three months doesn't fix the abrasion, it needs a stone grind or sustained work with a base flattening/structure tool. So, I've gotta ask, if the slowly reduced performance after its three days with wax isn't bugging you, why do it at all? Maybe it's wishful thinking? Possibly the usual icy conditions there really don't even require wax for glide, and only fresh snow (natural or uncured man-made) would yield a benefit? If that is what's happening, then why spend the money?

But your edges? Different story. You guys need your edges sharp. Here we need wax, but we can let the edges go most years.

Why ask a question just to humble brag ?

Honestly....I don't give two shits about the technical molecular physical chemistry breakdown structure gangnum style funkodelic delivery of nubian genocidal antacids....

When my skis feel slow, I either switch to a different pair or I wax the fuckers. Than they aren't slow anymore... Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I do some quick edge tuning if I recently had a tune done, but if it has been awhile, then I have the board get a stone grind, edges sharpened, and a wax so that they are ready for the season when I need them.

If I can't get them to my buddy who has a full set of tuning equipment, then I'll just put on a summer wax and throw the board in the closet.