Gardening

momskeeztoo

12 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

Nice lines.  Those storm drains bother the hell out of me.  What water do they collect?  Your whole hard would have to be a lake before they took in any water.

Apparently they are just access points and not supposed to drain pooling water. The drains along the side of the road are the functional ones. I threw stone and plants around them last year because I was sick of trimming around them and eventually they'll be hidden from growth.

It isn't often I even look in that direction. I don't want to look at the neighbors yard with crappy lines.

Edited by toast21602

2 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Apparently they are just access points and not supposed to drain pooling water. The drains along the side of the road are the functional ones. I threw stone and plants around them last year because I was sick of trimming around them and eventually they'll be hidden from growth.

I saw tons of PA 1-call markings in your 'hood and saw a spool of SDR11 duct on a reel trailer at the bottom of your road.  Are you getting RCN in the neighborhood?  Couldn't think why anyone else would be installing all that duct now.

35 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

I saw tons of PA 1-call markings in your 'hood and saw a spool of SDR11 duct on a reel trailer at the bottom of your road.  Are you getting RCN in the neighborhood?  Couldn't think why anyone else would be installing all that duct now.

Zoom in in the pic. Theres 2 dudes across the street getting ready to put a whoop ass on toasts lawn. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, AtomicSkier said:

Nice lines.  Those storm drains bother the hell out of me.  What water do they collect?  Your whole hard would have to be a lake before they took in any water.

The top of that storm drain is complete gloom and doom scenario. If water goes in there then there won't be any lines left in the yard and the toast will be either extremely soggy or evacuated. The important thing with an inlet like that is actually below grade. It likely has holes drilled into it on the sides of the structure and a nice layer of porous and loosely packed clean stone around it to let water in from the surrounding ground which will then hit the storm sewer system and wind up in the detention (possibly retention) pond somewhere in the development. 

And that's your Stormwater Management 101 lesson for today. Tune in next week when we discuss safe flow rates and 1000 year storm calculations. 

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds grate!!!  Do you only post in the middle of the night?

It’s not on purpose. Sometimes I forget to look when I have free time during the day. Oftentimes I just forget and then I am reminded when I’m bored right before bed. I used to post more at work when it was slow, but we’ve been busy for the past two years, so I don’t even think to look at work.

I finally got 11 of my 15 blueberry bushes weeded, mulched, and fertilized. The other 4 are weeded and fertilized, but I ran out of pine bark mulch. I was one bag away. I’ll have to grab one on Monday and finish it up. It’s been 2 years since I’ve done anything more than the occasional weeding/weed spray. Most of the mulch was gone. I’ve noticed a decline in production. Hopefully this is the beginning of getting back on track.
  • Like 3

I planted about 20 impatients last week.  Apparently I got impatient cause 16 of them died Friday night  with the cold

My parents planted theirs the day before the last surprise frost of the season. However, it got down in the mid 30s last night with wind. They lost most of the pre-planted plants. The plants growing from seed were fine. It’s unreal how abnormally cold it is around here for this time of the year.

My blueberries seemed to escape the worst of it...

4 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Planted golden beets and Detroit dark beers today. Probably planted more in two weeks to make the harvest easier. Potatoes will go in tomorrow. 

I like golden beets.  I didn't know you could grow dark beers in the ground.  When they're harvested, are they ready to drink?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Planted golden beets and Detroit dark beers today. Probably planted more in two weeks to make the harvest easier. Potatoes will go in tomorrow. 

Beets

Beats

Battlestar galactica

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What’s the generator for?? 

End of season party. Took it out of the back of my truck today. 

Def screwed up that office quote. I'm drinking oops

Edited by Benm