Gardening

momskeeztoo

20 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

I made a water barrel similar to Toast's several years ago and it hasn't run dry since the first rain every year.

Toast, what is the hose at the top of your barrel for? Overflow?

Showerhead attachment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quick pick this morning before running some errands. Another pint of raspberries and a handful of blueberries. This is just from one raspberry bush. I have a few new raspberry bush sprouts coming up if anybody wants one. plant them this year and you should see them produce this time next year. 

C779DFC5-A240-4897-9BAA-5EAD1CA05C1E.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Quick pick this morning before running some errands. Another pint of raspberries and a handful of blueberries. This is just from one raspberry bush. I have a few new raspberry bush sprouts coming up if anybody wants one. plant them this year and you should see them produce this time next year. 

C779DFC5-A240-4897-9BAA-5EAD1CA05C1E.jpeg

Do your u make smoothies?  I bought strawberries the other day from Weis and they were grate. Driscoll brand. 

• 2 weeks later...

The berries have wrapped up for the season but I'm still hoping for a late raspberry harvest like I got last year. Now the cantaloupe and squash are starting to get big. I picked about 8lbs of green beans last weekend and there are probably twice that still ripening now. I pulled a a row of beets today to see if they were ready and they are good to go. Definitely a good garden season this year. Hoping that continues.

IMG_4670.thumb.jpeg.00d3da6f32bf5907f9a2359ac434cc67.jpeg

IMG_4644.thumb.jpeg.fc84489c31c9e9d616896fd44df4362b.jpegIMG_4643.thumb.jpeg.5ed08526522a2fd055383e76633475f3.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled all of the potatoes and prepped them for storage in the basement. Another great harvest. Also pulled the rest of the green beans and prepped them to freeze. I kept a few pounds to cook and eat over the next few weeks. I also found a nice little rabbit nest in the rows of beets. They’re pretty big so I imagine they’ll leave and be on their own in the next day or two. 

51DE2BF6-D037-4E97-B0CC-3B12214456F9.jpeg

4C8E6A96-A01F-4EFF-972A-95FC7A784004.jpeg

7A418D36-4E03-49E1-8878-FF7FD1CAC3B3.jpeg

C67D2B99-A6F5-49FD-95D5-34F805FBEF38.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Groundhogs are total assholes.  I hate them fucking things.  

I'm still batttling with my groundhog. 

IMG_6564.thumb.jpg.aeac1ab09d339ff953c63fa76ba25881.jpg

About 3 weeks ago, I walked the dog around midnight. Slipped on some flip flops and headed down my walkway. Took a step down, my flip flop kicked off and I literally stepped on my fat-ass-taco-bell-eating groundhog. He look so annoyed that I bothered him from sleeping on my steps..

About 6 months ago, I put up a trap from Harbor Freight but only caught 2 squirrels and possem. I finally called a pest guy last week. He set up 2 traps and still nothing. I know this 'hog comes by and sunbathes on the side of my house. 

So, I did what any normal person would do ... I set up an Amazon Blink camera focused on the traps. 

IMG_6565.thumb.jpg.e028ced6dc3f88f59c669db8804ce186.jpg

And, now we wait...

• Like 2
  • Boner City 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, mbike-ski said:

yea last time I tried to trap one I caught a skunk...

What did you do with the skunk?  No way i would deal with a skunk in a cage. 

i did well with the have a heart trap for my ground hog, but it took some super stinky cantaloupe, covering the trap with brush, and me leaving for the weekend. It was kind of an issue that he was taking up residency under my shed, in my fenced in yard…..made my dog nutso that he had to unwillingly share the yard. I saw round one with my dog and groundhog, fortunately my dog won that fight, but i didnt want to see anymore. If the trap didnt work pretty quick, he was going to be removed by “other means”.

16 hours ago, mbike-ski said:

yea last time I tried to trap one I caught a skunk...

Been there, done that.
I ended up throwing an old, unwanted blanket over the trap so it couldn't see me.
Then I just opened the end of trap and ran like Hell.  It eventually made its way out and scurried away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

What did you do with the skunk?

After a few failed animal control calls, I think I got a hold of someone from DCNR(?), the nice lady read me some instructions about covering the trap with a tarp, using a shovel or broomstick to move the cage into the bed of a pickup or car trunk then releasing at a stet park or game land. I asked " I won't get sprayed?" and she laughed and said "it doesn't say anything about that" WTF?!?! She then gave me a number for a guy and he came down and did exactly that and transferred the critter into a wooden box cage for $25. He was hoot, was like a thousand years old in a beat up datsun puck up truck - said  he didn't move so good any more and asked he he could drive on the lawn to where the skunk was, I didn;t care if drove across my yard or  the neighbors yard as long as he got that thing out of there.

• Like 1
  • Boner City 1
  • Haha 4