Gardening

momskeeztoo

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The warm weather in April gave a big head start to get the garden looking good. Last month I sowed onions, beets, kale, carrots, parsnips, spinach and lettuce. The strawberries and blueberries are are already in bloom, I noticed a rogue potato popped up the other day (must have missed it last year). I even dug the canna bulbs into the flower bed, so hopefully with the next warm up they will start to poke through.

Waiting for night time temps to plant the indoor seedlings: 4 kinds of tomatoes this year, jalapenos, tomatillos, cukes, zukes, dellacata squash. This year I added two cattle panel arches and am hoping to grow most of the vining squash and vine beans off of those.  I'm planning to direct sow vining lima beans, pole beans, Illinois long neck squash and per becky boo's request cantaloupe. Keeping my eyes on those night time temps.  Whats everyone else growing? 

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

We have some tomatoes, bell and jalapeños. Also butternut squash. Nothing in the ground yet. I always plant zinnias, but it has to be warm for them to germinate, they are still in the package. I also like statice. They make great dried flowers. I start them inside, just haven’t done it yet. We just got back from Edge of the Woods, really cool native plant/ tree place on Route 100 in Orefield. You should check it out. We’re trying to attract more pollinators and birds to our yard. And native plants are usually maintainence free. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, momskeeztoo said:

We have some tomatoes, bell and jalapeños. Also butternut squash. Nothing in the ground yet. I always plant zinnias, but it has to be warm for them to germinate, they are still in the package. I also like statice. They make great dried flowers. I start them inside, just haven’t done it yet. We just got back from Edge of the Woods, really cool native plant/ tree place on Route 100 in Orefield. You should check it out. We’re trying to attract more pollinators and birds to our yard. And native plants are usually maintainence free. 

I love edge of the woods! I went a few years ago - purchased elderberry, mountain mint and something else (I wish I could remember what).  and could have spent hours there. I have a whole list of plants / trees and shrubs I want to get from there, when we have the space. I've propogated elderberry cuttings to add more to our yard over the years... I'm forever squeezing annuals flowers in anywhere I see an open space - I've been trying out companion planting in the garden, too. I'm going to try calendula and safflower in the veggie garden this year. I really like statice , I had trouble getting seeds to germinate when I tried them in the past though. 

• Like 3

Plan on heading out to Meadow View Farm out in Kutztown one of these weekends to pick up pepper and tomato seedlings.
They have the best assortment of pepper plants that I've found, everything from the mildest on up to scorching reapers.

• Like 5

I've never heard of them but that sounds awesome. I highly recommend Misty Valley Farms off of Kreidersville Road outside of Northampton, they're a greenhouse, have a farm stand and chickens. I think they grow mostly heirloom - I recognize a lot of their items from Baker Creek seed company which is one of my favorites. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, enjoralas said:

Likely not bothering with a garden again this year. Eventually I’ll get life together enough to feel like I have time for it. Maybe. Probably not. Meh.

Train the children LOL. Becky's been my garden apprentice since she was able to tottle around. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Boo Bear said:

I've never heard of them but that sounds awesome. I highly recommend Misty Valley Farms off of Kreidersville Road outside of Northampton, they're a greenhouse, have a farm stand and chickens. I think they grow mostly heirloom - I recognize a lot of their items from Baker Creek seed company which is one of my favorites. 

It's a Mennonite farm just north of Bowers where they hold the annual Chili Pepper Festival.   We stop at the farm for the Jalapeno ice cream after going to the festival each year.
The farm grows a ton of peppers and also has homemade desserts and such.
The seedlings are very cheap too.

• Like 2

Hopefully get mine going in the next few weeks, mothers day is the goal - fathers day is the cutoff lol.

I miss amore farms on 512, been going to Lehigh valley garden center. Maybe Ill try Misty valley

Tried lots of different types of peppers over the years and settled into hungarian wax peppers, they freeze really well and delicious on eggs etc - great flavor with a touch of heat.

Pics for stoke!

4F2F7D51-B77C-4BDC-8BF5-EF9DAB9A8F1B.thumb.jpeg.8c86665a06d320b1060438b776133516.jpeg

9E754677-4A35-473B-A1EE-A6E6888F47C7.thumb.jpeg.2958b8a84f4f0070c4875863595b5b54.jpeg

Edited by mbike-ski
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Boo Bear said:

I love edge of the woods! I went a few years ago - purchased elderberry, mountain mint and something else (I wish I could remember what).  and could have spent hours there. I have a whole list of plants / trees and shrubs I want to get from there, when we have the space. I've propogated elderberry cuttings to add more to our yard over the years... I'm forever squeezing annuals flowers in anywhere I see an open space - I've been trying out companion planting in the garden, too. I'm going to try calendula and safflower in the veggie garden this year. I really like statice , I had trouble getting seeds to germinate when I tried them in the past though. 

#Obsessed #GreenThumb  

59 minutes ago, Boo Bear said:

Misty Valley is awesome and the owners are good people. Also recommend! 

21 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

We also have blueberries and raspberry bushes. 

I planted 24 (little) Blueberry bushes 20+ years ago. Now they’re 8’ tall , I should have spaced them further apart. I used to cover them with a net but now they’re too large so I feed the birds. My neighbor planted 140 bushes, he has his relatives pick. 

They were getting to be quite a chore to keep up with. I think the last time I covered them I was getting 3 gallons a day at peak. 

Last year my son was feeding Bluejays peanuts on our deck and they weren’t happy with peanuts so they went for dessert and cleaned up the Blueberries. 
I wasn’t too disappointed because I still had some leftover in the freezer. 

I propagated some Elderberry bushes a couple years ago but the deer are pretty aggressive getting through the fence that I put up. They seem to leave the blueberries alone. I haven’t tried to plant a regular garden yet but maybe next year. 

• Like 3

On 5/3/2023 at 11:42 AM, AirheadD8 said:

I planted 24 (little) Blueberry bushes 20+ years ago. Now they’re 8’ tall , I should have spaced them further apart. I used to cover them with a net but now they’re too large so I feed the birds. My neighbor planted 140 bushes, he has his relatives pick. 

They were getting to be quite a chore to keep up with. I think the last time I covered them I was getting 3 gallons a day at peak. 

Last year my son was feeding Bluejays peanuts on our deck and they weren’t happy with peanuts so they went for dessert and cleaned up the Blueberries. 
I wasn’t too disappointed because I still had some leftover in the freezer. 

I propagated some Elderberry bushes a couple years ago but the deer are pretty aggressive getting through the fence that I put up. They seem to leave the blueberries alone. I haven’t tried to plant a regular garden yet but maybe next year. 

That many blueberries sounds like a dream. For years my dad had blueberry bushes. He had a bush that produced berries larger than a quarter every year. That bush died a few years ago, he still has two others that are late season producers but they are eraser sized berries. Still better than none! 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 11:54 AM, Boo Bear said:

That many blueberries sounds like a dream. For years my dad had blueberry bushes. He had a bush that produced berries larger than a quarter every year. That bush died a few years ago, he still has two others that are late season producers but they are eraser sized berries. Still better than none! 

Do you use mulch for your garden?  

On 5/8/2023 at 11:54 AM, Boo Bear said:

For a while it was a dream but then it was a curse, especially after a long day . I gave up and invited family members to come over. 

The bushes are too high now to pick from the ground. I use a ridding mower with a cart and pick. I think I’ll experiment trimming a few back and see what happens. 

The Bluejay that sits on my deck railing waiting for peanuts is going to eat well this year. Lots of blooms. 

1 hour ago, AirheadD8 said:

For a while it was a dream but then it was a curse, especially after a long day . I gave up and invited family members to come over. 

The bushes are too high now to pick from the ground. I use a ridding mower with a cart and pick. I think I’ll experiment trimming a few back and see what happens. 

The Bluejay that sits on my deck railing waiting for peanuts is going to eat well this year. Lots of blooms. 

Back to google…

F6DBD6A0-A784-4B4F-95AE-FB46148DC269.png