Gardening

momskeeztoo

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Are you allowed to shoot random backyard animals?

There are some funny laws with that, but i believe you are allowed as a homeowner to shoot wild animals causing damage to your property.  so, just as long as you remember to tell the neighbors, cops, peta, that they were causing damage, you probably wouldnt get put in cuffs.  I do have some cats at both houses i would like to take care of, but i know the ones that roam around my house in Delco are pets, so i leave them alone, even though it sort of pisses me off that my neighbors think its ok for thier cats to just wonder around.  Maybe they keep the mouse population down.  i dont know.  

I am fairly certain it is illeagal to relocate a trapped animal.  Not gonna lie, this is what i do when i trap them, except for the last one that commited suicide in the trap.  Also, relocating is a little sketchy.  i mean, if i saw someone relocating a groundhog near my house i would be pissed.  i have a good spot near work where i hope they like, and dont go roaming to live under other peoples decks.  

@mute1080@Boo Bear i think i read groundhogs are like homing pigeons.  Take them far away if possible.  i can be wrong about that though.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

There are some funny laws with that, but i believe you are allowed as a homeowner to shoot wild animals causing damage to your property.  so, just as long as you remember to tell the neighbors, cops, peta, that they were causing damage, you probably wouldnt get put in cuffs.  I do have some cats at both houses i would like to take care of, but i know the ones that roam around my house in Delco are pets, so i leave them alone, even though it sort of pisses me off that my neighbors think its ok for thier cats to just wonder around.  Maybe they keep the mouse population down.  i dont know.  

I am fairly certain it is illeagal to relocate a trapped animal.  Not gonna lie, this is what i do when i trap them, except for the last one that commited suicide in the trap.  Also, relocating is a little sketchy.  i mean, if i saw someone relocating a groundhog near my house i would be pissed.  i have a good spot near work where i hope they like, and dont go roaming to live under other peoples decks.  

@mute1080@Boo Bear i think i read groundhogs are like homing pigeons.  Take them far away if possible.  i can be wrong about that though.  

Yeah, I've heard groundhogs will return from a ways away and relocating is illegal.
If you don't want the pest, others probably don't want it either.

Big, nuisance pests (groundhogs, raccoons, etc.) that nobody wants around here that end up in my trap I'll take care of.
There are some cats that roam around that I hope keep the chipmunk, mice, etc. population down, so I leave them go also.
Even though the rabbits eat the wife's plants, she won't let me plunk them.

6 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Depends upon the caliber and type of the ammo...

My delivery driver lives in the country so he can shoot deer right from his window..it’s bananas.  When I lived in Montana I went gopher hunting..farmers let people on their land and climbed up on hale bales, drank beer, smoked weed and shot at prairie dogs actually. When one is shot usually another one or more comes out to see wazup and that’s when shit gets real. People out there are nuts some hunt from their cars.  

I mistakenly caught a skunk in the trap some years ago and had it "professionally" removed, I asked the guy jokingly  if he was gonna dump it at the end of the road so it would be back next week, he said nope can only release on state property, either state park or gamelands.  Said he was taking that fucker to Jacobsburg SP

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

My delivery driver lives in the country so he can shoot deer right from his window..it’s bananas.  When I lived in Montana I went gopher hunting..farmers let people on their land and climbed up on hale bales, drank beer, smoked weed and shot at prairie dogs actually. When one is shot usually another one or more comes out to see wazup and that’s when shit gets real. People out there are nuts some hunt from their cars.  

People out here hunt deer from their cars at night with spotlights.
After the corn has been cut down, they just spot across the field and plunk a deer.
You know it when you hear a gunshot at 10-11pm at night...

11 minutes ago, mbike-ski said:

I mistakenly caught a skunk in the trap some years ago and had it "professionally" removed, I asked the guy jokingly  if he was gonna dump it at the end of the road so it would be back next week, he said nope can only release on state property, either state park or gamelands.  Said he was taking that fucker to Jacobsburg SP

I got one a few years back.
Threw a blanket over the thing and was able to pop open the door and ran!

5 hours ago, indiggio said:

People out here hunt deer from their cars at night with spotlights.
After the corn has been cut down, they just spot across the field and plunk a deer.
You know it when you hear a gunshot at 10-11pm at night...

I don’t think I ever told you about this but back in 2012 my grandma got runover by a reindeer…it was bananas..she was walking home from our house Xmas eve..yes we are Jewish but celebrate Xmas cause it’s a fun holiday and presents and cake and booze…anyway the night before her funeral we went out for hibachi and one of my uncles paid and I like free Japanese food tastes really good but anyway it’s sad I was crying in my shrimp and steak

edit to keep on topic my grandma liked tomato sandwiches   I have some bacon might try to make some BT’s this weekend..I don’t care about lettuce just do bacon and tomato maybe add some salt and pepper little bit of mustard 

08E533C2-9B86-49CC-9A55-288E25CE53A9.webp

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, mbike-ski said:

This is why i dont leave the trap out at night.  That, and you wont catch groundhogs at night.  i have a fox that rolls through my yard often at night, and i have seen a racoon, but no skunk.  Anyways, if i did catch any night dweller, i would call someone.  no way i am fucking around with a fox, skunk, or racoon.  @indiggio has more balls than a pool table for releasing a skunk.  

i dont know if groundhogs all have the same mindset or what, or like travel the same path as others have before, but they all want to go under my fence in my backyard at the same spot for some reason.  so, i put some rocks in the little spot they dug out.  so, if the rocks get disturbed, its a pretty good indication one is roaming around.  

a coworker is always trapping groundhogs.  he has a small crick on his property.  He gives them swimming lessons.  

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

This is why i dont leave the trap out at night.  That, and you wont catch groundhogs at night.  i have a fox that rolls through my yard often at night, and i have seen a racoon, but no skunk.  Anyways, if i did catch any night dweller, i would call someone.  no way i am fucking around with a fox, skunk, or racoon.  @indiggio has more balls than a pool table for releasing a skunk.  

i dont know if groundhogs all have the same mindset or what, or like travel the same path as others have before, but they all want to go under my fence in my backyard at the same spot for some reason.  so, i put some rocks in the little spot they dug out.  so, if the rocks get disturbed, its a pretty good indication one is roaming around.  

a coworker is always trapping groundhogs.  he has a small crick on his property.  He gives them swimming lessons.  

Don't get me started on foxes.  We've got a big rock out at the corner with a shit-ton of mulch around it.  There's a pair, siblings? mates?  that INSIST on digging foxholes in it and chase one another around the big rock.  They leave a banked racetrack around it.  Every week I refill the foxholes and the next night they're dug out again.  I've sprayed deer away, sprinkled a ton of cayenne in the holes and on top after I refill, but they keep coming back.  They've beat me down.  I just leave the holes anymore.  For some unknown reason they also insist on shitting in my driveway that I keep having to shovel up.  They're worse than having a dog.

Once I thought I saw a groundhog from the house run under the shed, so later I went out to check out the hole and something hissed at me from it, so I set the trap.  Caught a huge racoon by the next day.  It was the last time it hissed at anything.   Another time I had something digging by the house, out came the trap.  I don't know how this racoon fit in the trap it was so big! 

I don't know what I'd do if I caught a fox.  They annoy me, but they also keep the other rodents in check. 

2 hours ago, indiggio said:

Don't get me started on foxes.  We've got a big rock out at the corner with a shit-ton of mulch around it.  There's a pair, siblings? mates?  that INSIST on digging foxholes in it and chase one another around the big rock.  They leave a banked racetrack around it.  Every week I refill the foxholes and the next night they're dug out again.  I've sprayed deer away, sprinkled a ton of cayenne in the holes and on top after I refill, but they keep coming back.  They've beat me down.  I just leave the holes anymore.  For some unknown reason they also insist on shitting in my driveway that I keep having to shovel up.  They're worse than having a dog.

Once I thought I saw a groundhog from the house run under the shed, so later I went out to check out the hole and something hissed at me from it, so I set the trap.  Caught a huge racoon by the next day.  It was the last time it hissed at anything.   Another time I had something digging by the house, out came the trap.  I don't know how this racoon fit in the trap it was so big! 

I don't know what I'd do if I caught a fox.  They annoy me, but they also keep the other rodents in check. 

i have fox poo on my yard too.  one might think the presence of a fox would deter the groundhogs from setting up camp, but it doesnt look that way.  it doesnt deter the deer either.  Other than shitting on my lawn, he doesnt bother me that much.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

i have fox poo on my yard too.  one might think the presence of a fox would deter the groundhogs from setting up camp, but it doesnt look that way.  it doesnt deter the deer either.  Other than shitting on my lawn, he doesnt bother me that much.  

The deer shit the most.  Everything from piles of pellets to huge piles, both of which seem to turn into big clumps of weeds.

• 3 weeks later...

Paw paw . I was at a customers home and noticed he had a pretty diverse garden. 
I noticed a paw paw tree and started a conversation about them as I recently came across a YouTube video. I had heard that they were indigenous to Pa. but have never come across any in all my years running around the woods. He gave me a few and I must say they are really tasty, almost a tropical vibe, surprisingly like bananas and mango. 

IMG_3755.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 6:24 AM, AirheadD8 said:

Paw paw . I was at a customers home and noticed he had a pretty diverse garden. 
I noticed a paw paw tree and started a conversation about them as I recently came across a YouTube video. I had heard that they were indigenous to Pa. but have never come across any in all my years running around the woods. He gave me a few and I must say they are really tasty, almost a tropical vibe, surprisingly like bananas and mango. 

IMG_3755.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

I am so jealous. Late summer early fall I keep my eyes peeled but have not found any yet. I have to ask did you save the seeds?!

On 8/25/2023 at 12:24 PM, JFskiDan said:

Also heard this about them coming back up to 5 miles. Didn’t take him that far but was hoping he found more better decks to live under before he got back here. So far, so good

• 2 weeks later...