Gardening

momskeeztoo

• 2 weeks later...

This was my best crop year yet for blueberries. I added some new plants, but they didn't produce. I probably netted 3 quarts this year, which is far less than I should be getting, but is about 10 times what I got last year. I'm expecting double that next year since I am going to be much more aggressive with my fertilizing and watering during this growth season.

we freeze bagloads of basil and dry some too. frozen gives a fresh basil flavor for cooking.

first bounty of the season was picked last night for fajitas - hungarian wax peppers. not too hot but very tasty, froze a few of those too

will have beans and cucs by the weekend, tomatoes jut starting to ripen

Blueberry crop is about done and is almost ready for the post fruiting fertilizer. Best haul yet this year. We brought in about 5-6 pints, which doesn't sound like much, but after just 1 pint last year, is a significant step up. Expecting big things for next year.

• Like 2

I got everything in very late this year. Just picked my first cucumbers of the year, got about a half dozen of them. There are a handful of jalapenos ready, and a couple of sweet bannana peppers too. Everything seems to be growing well, sunflowers are ranging from seedlings (went in last week to fill bare spots) to 2.5-3 ft high. Zucchini is big and bushy, with a few small fruits. Some green tomatoes. Everything else growing well but no fruits yet. 

I think I finally got ahead of the constant weeding. Maybe I'll grab a few pics tonight.

I got everything in very late this year. Just picked my first cucumbers of the year, got about a half dozen of them. There are a handful of jalapenos ready, and a couple of sweet bannana peppers too. Everything seems to be growing well, sunflowers are ranging from seedlings (went in last week to fill bare spots) to 2.5-3 ft high. Zucchini is big and bushy, with a few small fruits. Some green tomatoes. Everything else growing well but no fruits yet. 

I think I finally got ahead of the constant weeding. Maybe I'll grab a few pics tonight.

We haven't had much rain here. I know it's been spotty, always seems to skip around us. We have had beets, carrots, basil, cilantro. Our tomatoes and peppers a little behind. Started them late because we were in Az. I like to grow zinnias, too. They are finally starting to bloom.

You guys all sound like a bunch of hippies. I never understood spending so much time and money buying seeds and weeding and digging dirt just for something that you can buy in the supermarket.

We are a bunch of hippies. Is that okay?

nice, my beets suck this year - got em in late and missed all the rain to get em to pop. i like the tops better than the bottoms

Yes, we have come to appreciate the tops in a salad. They have to be young

Overall view of the garden from just inside the gate:

post-13012-0-46335400-1469328617_thumb.jpg

8 foot bed of cucumbers, hoping they do really well this year so that I can make some pickles.

post-13012-0-91290500-1469328623_thumb.jpg

Some hot peppers and some mild jalapenos:

post-13012-0-37467400-1469328632_thumb.jpg

Two rows of bell peppers, and you can see the end of the row of bush beans there on the left:

post-13012-0-03209500-1469328641_thumb.jpg

The zucchini plant is doing very well. It's one of the only things that has produced so far, gave me the four zukes here:

post-13012-0-42378800-1469328648_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-99578900-1469328667_thumb.jpg

Tomato plants are also really putting on growth. Lots of green tomatoes, but only about a half dozen cherries ripe so far. Two year old got them all, lol:

post-13012-0-35411800-1469328656_thumb.jpg

A shot of the back end of the garden. Added the rockbox this year for my buddy to play in while I am weeding or otherwise working. A bench to rest on and watch him play. There's a couple rows of mammoth sunflowers back there in various stages of growth, and that low lying green mess on the left side is a watermelon plant:

post-13012-0-40962600-1469328663_thumb.jpg

Got going so late this year I haven't bothered with re-laying out the drip irrigation system. I guess I should, especially since I'm going away for a week in August and if it doesn't rain I'll come back to a bad scene. 

• Like 2