Gardening

momskeeztoo

Yeah, you're probably right. I just find it really hard to kill something we are not going to eat. I did read recently squirrel meat is really good for you. Very lean. Yuck, like eating a rat.

I have no problem when they are considered a nuisance animal. I've heard squirrel stew is good. I've eaten muskrat. Not so good. I'd do it to protect my blueberry bushes...

This is probably a good year for them, not much rain. They are not all watery. We've had some really great ones from the farm we buy stuff from. Tried to grow them once and they were awful. We might try again next year. Next year not doing corn. It was delicious, but the squirrels made a mess out of it. They can't just take an ear and eat it. Gotta take a bite out of each ear. Bastards. We actually have some blackberries this year. I thought the birds would get them.

Not quite ready yet, but getting there.

67b2de8cfc74e7e77a422eaab11d86c9.jpg

Came home from vacation to LOADED up jalapeño plants.

88af2846f5cc5eaaeb61d0fdcbc6b9a9.jpg

Fair amount of bell peppers too. 7 plants all look like this one

8dd528dd42c574a8fc261b622e1423e0.jpg

Some color showing up in the habanero bush.

1a957c9adc98a995eebc58b67a8a30cc.jpg

Spaghetti squash is still spreading like wildfire, up and over anything in its path

488dea53c5d4d67083407298b5367596.jpg

Tallest sunflowers are about 8.5-9 ft and still going. Cucumbers are dying out but there are still a few plants producing. Lost a dozen or so while I was gone, got super dat and turned orange. Roma tomatoes are starting to color as well

That cantaloupe looks about ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's close, but it's still pretty green instead of turning cream/orange behind the netting, and doesn't have the tell-tale crack at the stem. Those are the signs I've always looked for, anyway. I did handle it a bit because I know when they are ripe they will pop right off, but she wasn't giving up the vine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a pretty good crop of carrots

Carrots look real nice. I pulled one the other night as a test, it looked good. Will probably pull them all tomorrow. Tomatoes and peppers are still churning out the production. Gonna make some more sauce, salsa, hot pepper relish and jalapeno jelly this weekend.

• Like 1