Blue 2-6-17

Ski2Live Live2Ski

The bottom lodge used to be a cabin for hikers on the AT. They kept the history going with the modular tents and 2x4 flooring.

Actually Palmerton is a popular stop for AT hikers as hikers are welcome to stay in the basement of the police station and care packages are given out with various edible jawns by the chamber of commerce.

is any of it the original AT cabin? I really like the bottom lodge. Rustic, yet comfortable with the heated floors in front. Although I did get a splinter in my foot putting my boots on couple weeks ago. Luckily, I was able to pull it out.

Rustic lol...do you change into your socks at the mountain...what I don't like about the bottom lodge is how warm it is. It's like a sauna going in there in ski clothes. I did a full walk thru in there Sunday when I got shadows his pass then walked up the ramp to the bathroom. I see there's also a ski shop down there as well on the east side of the cafeteria.

There was no AT cabin down there. The AT is 1,000 feet and a mile up lol

That is exactly what makes it cheesy. An expansion for marketing reasons rather than to improve the experience for skiers. I would be happier without the runout when skiing. And Elk certainly is a more legit thousand foot.

If it gives you the highest vert in PA it's worth it. Nobody else can say that or make changes to take that away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used the bottom lot exactly once - the time I went tubing there. I see no reason to drive up and down the mountain an extra time for the privilege of having to ride a lift before skiing.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

Runouts are good. There are lifts at Jackson hole with no runout and you literally have to kill all your speed at the liftline. It's nice to coast out the end of the run..especially when there's a high speed lift to whisk you back up.

That is exactly what makes it cheesy. An expansion for marketing reasons rather than to improve the experience for skiers. I would be happier without the runout when skiing. And Elk certainly is a more legit thousand foot. Used the bottom lot exactly once - the time I went tubing there. I see no reason to drive up and down the mountain an extra time for the privilege of having to ride a lift before skiing.

When you park at the bottom it's an easy exit..parking is so close...and riding a lift before skiing is the norm except for Jack Frost and montage. I like to end my ski session with a full run, not a lift ride and a traverse. It's not really extra time to drive to the bottom lot...maybe a minute and a half and takes about that long to drive up the upper access road and find a parking spot.

We aren't comparing blue to elk. If we wanna compare gapers Ski2Live is a level 3.

• Like 3

We aren't comparing blue to elk.

Wasn't that what Blue was doing in raising their vertical stat with a run out that makes Freedom look like the Himalayas? The only folks they passed that are in roughly the same geographic market are Montage and Elk. But Montage also has a BS vertical stat.

Of course as someone that tracks vertical who am I to complain. Gave me a 20K day yesterday, and without even skiing anything remotely challenging.

Wasn't that what Blue was doing in raising their vertical stat with a run out that makes Freedom look like the Himalayas? The only folks they passed that are in roughly the same geographic market are Montage and Elk. But Montage also has a BS vertical stat.

Of course as someone that tracks vertical who am I to complain. Gave me a 20K day yesterday, and without even skiing anything remotely challenging.

You must be good if the bumps were a breeze for you. Is there any challenging terrain in PA? Maybe the elevator for a few turns...I just enjoy going fast down switchback and Main Street and razors and challenge and nightmare to Dreamweaver and cruising down lazy and paradise. I don't go to blue to be challenged. What's challenging about blue is the variety of snow conditions...you're very difficult.

Not to mention the tail-gating! 

Short walk to the car, so long as you get there early enough...

Quoted for truth.

Jackson hole has a runout as well...so does camelback and Jack Frost and nearly every ski area...you want flat ground to build all the base amenities.

I've never heard of someone hate on homestretch before..

Didn't do the bumps much as they were scraped out. I like doing them at Montage where they keep a lot more snow in them due to getting maybe 5% of the traffic. Boomer is my fav ski run in NEPA. No runout there, usually all soft bumps wall to wall start to end for 600' of vertical.

Surely you have noticed that in spring conditions it can be a chore getting down Homestretch. But I didn't start this thread to bitch about anything, just reacting to your relating the expansion history.

Is boomer really 600 vert? Thought there was both a top and bottom runout. Homestretch is never a chore getting down and I only wax my skis a few times a season. Maybe if you ski over to homestretch from Main Street or switchback but the savvy blue people take lower park or Central Park down to the six pack from that side of the hill.

FYI the bump competition is March 18 on razors edge.

Is boomer really 600 vert? Thought there was both a top and bottom runout. Homestretch is never a chore getting down and I only wax my skis a few times a season. Maybe if you ski over to homestretch from Main Street or switchback but the savvy blue people take lower park or Central Park down to the six pack from that side of the hill.

FYI the bump competition is March 18 on razors edge.

There is a bit on top to get to the face, so it is probably about 500' of bumps.

I won't win any bump competitions, but when they are soft I have a lot more fun giving them my best than cruising down groomed runs.

• Like 1

Actually Palmerton is a popular stop for AT hikers as hikers are welcome to stay in the basement of the police station and care packages are given out with various edible jawns by the chamber of commerce.

Rustic lol...do you change into your socks at the mountain...what I don't like about the bottom lodge is how warm it is. It's like a sauna going in there in ski clothes. I did a full walk thru in there Sunday when I got shadows his pass then walked up the ramp to the bathroom. I see there's also a ski shop down there as well on the east side of the cafeteria.

There was no AT cabin down there. The AT is 1,000 feet and a mile up lol

I know where the AT is there. Have hiked either side of Blue Mountain drive a couple times.

There is a bit on top to get to the face, so it is probably about 500' of bumps.

I won't win any bump competitions, but when they are soft I have a lot more fun giving them my best than cruising down groomed runs.

Come up to Blue in the spring after race team is done with Razors and Razorback, there'll be T2B bumps on them!

Over 1000' vertical of soft, glorious bumps.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 3

That is exactly what makes it cheesy. An expansion for marketing reasons rather than to improve the experience for skiers. I would be happier without the runout when skiing. And Elk certainly is a more legit thousand foot.

Used the bottom lot exactly once - the time I went tubing there. I see no reason to drive up and down the mountain an extra time for the privilege of having to ride a lift before skiing.

Way to compare apples to apples. Elk in no way skis bigger than Blue. And why is it "cheesy" that they made the vert longer to claim highest in PA? Because you said so?

Doug keep your Blue Mountain history facts coming.

Way to compare apples to apples. Elk in no way skis bigger than Blue. And why is it "cheesy" that they made the vert longer to claim highest in PA? Because you said so?

Doug keep your Blue Mountain history facts coming.

Because they did it by adding something not even worth skiing. Did I not make that clear enough in my earlier posts or did you just want to read it again?

Elk skis a lot bigger than Blue IMO. More different trails, whole vertical on all of them, lacks the dull run out.

But Elk is about as far from me as Hunter and skis a lot smaller than that.

Because they did it by adding something not even worth skiing. Did I not make that clear enough in my earlier posts or did you just want to read it again?

Elk skis a lot bigger than Blue IMO. More different trails, whole vertical on all of them, lacks the dull run out.

But Elk is about as far from me as Hunter and skis a lot smaller than that.

What you made clear is that "in spring conditions its a chore for you getting down Homestretch"  

"An expansion for marketing reasons rather than to improve the experience for skiers."

So, adding 2 terrain parks (central park, and terrain run) didnt improve the experience for skiers?  Oh, sorry, they didnt improve the experience for you.  got it.  I'm pretty sure these two trails wouldnt exist if they didnt move the lift down to where it is now.  

• Like 2