Belleayre Upgrades

Ride Delaware ?

How many people on this website of extremely avid skiers one state away have ever been to Keene Valley NY ? What about Whiteface ? NY has NYC but the rest of the state is mostly empty with very little to do in terms of work. ADK is poor, like WV poor and the skills aren't much better and the fix is simple get money into these ares, develop the tremendous potential for tourism and people will have jobs and schools won't suck and all that shit - http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/permits_ej_operations_pdf/bellump4.pdf

Granted I have skied more areas in the west than I have in the east (outside of PA). That said WF is still my favorite of my limited east coast (non PA) experience. Oh and I almost purchased furniture from an ADK furniture store in Keene Valley a few years ago. After reading this I'm kicking myself for not supporting them haha.

• Like 1

Granted I have skied more areas in the west than I have in the east (outside of PA). That said WF is still my favorite of my limited east coast (non PA) experience. Oh and I almost purchased furniture from an ADK furniture store in Keene Valley a few years ago. After reading this I'm kicking myself for not supporting them haha.

Johnny law what do you like better, Whiteface or Stowe? I've only skied whiteface four days in the 90s. It's better than southern Vermont.

Johnny law what do you like better, Whiteface or Stowe? I've only skied whiteface four days in the 90s. It's better than southern Vermont.

You should head back. They've expanded it a bit since the 90s (lookout mountain). Honestly for someone who loves vert I'm surprised you haven't skied WF more. Stowe has escaped me, unfortunately, over the years... mainly due to its distance so I can't compare. JFDan has been to both. My focus over the last few years is skiing west of the Mississippi but if I'm ski tripping within driving distance I can always be easily convinced to hit up Lake Placid.

I've been to both WF and Stowe within the past 3 years. Distance notwithstanding, I prefer Stowe over WF. Better snow means more access to better woods. WF does have the vertical edge, but I found the terrain to be underwhelming and often funnels you to the same trails. I also prefer the town of Stowe. Lake Placid is nice, but it is aging and isn't nearly as vibrant now as Stowe.

• Like 1

I found the terrain to be underwhelming and often funnels you to the same trails. I also prefer the town of Stowe. Lake Placid is nice, but it is aging and isn't nearly as vibrant now as Stowe.

Whiteface is narrow, so i agree with this.  No disrespect to Whiteface, but its kind of like skiing Steamboat in the geography department.  When you go to Whiteface you are going to ski Whiteface, pray for good conditions.  Same is true for Steamboat, but you can replace the "pray for good conditions" to "pray for a dump"  I like Vermont's options better, even though it is the coldest fucking place on earth to ski.  

i dont understand the existence of steamboat.  what is the point of it?

That's actually kinda deep lol

Well the boat is part of the Park Range which is part of the Continental Divide specifically the Great Divide, 50 to 80 million years ago a bunch of plates slide under the NA plate and hence the Rocky Mountains.

Ute Indians I think used to hunt in the Valley and then some dude named Crawford made a homestead there to trap. He did pretty well and the Utes were safe traders so other people showed up and soon enough they had a community. There is also alot of shit in the ground there, the largest coal and onyx mines in CO are near Steamboat.

• Like 1

Johnny law, I first visited Steamboat springs on a geology trip in 2000. We spent a couple hours in town the one day and went to the in town hot springs/water park and I ate at a steakhouse and went to the rodeo. The next day we could either go a few hours with professor to dinosaur national park or hangout in town and I was burnt out on looking at rocks so chose to hangout in town and ended up roasting herbs along the bike path, going out for lunch and visiting some bars. I believe it used to be called Ski Town USA..it's a super nice town. The skiing satisfies the majority of people just not extrem snowboarders like TP4 and VTMark

• Like 1

Next time I'm flying into Denver then driving for hours again it's not going to be for Steamboat but for Crested Butte. Barb's reports have solidified my need to visit there. I liked SB but wasn't like holy shit I need to get back here. Granted it didn't snow either.

CB is the tits mcgee, like a little telluride. Really good terrain for CO and the town is cool too. There is a thai place, I know right thai in CO ? but it's seriously seriously good.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New map shows that the Gondola goes to the highest point on the Mt right by the Tomahawk lift and they build a skier bridge over the road for a new TTB trail. Makes the Mt more unified and should be nice. If nothing else you can go direct to Tomahawk side on fast gondola now instead of having to ride a couple slow lifts to get there, and should reduce lines on other lifts.

• Like 1

New map shows that the Gondola goes to the highest point on the Mt right by the Tomahawk lift and they build a skier bridge over the road for a new TTB trail. Makes the Mt more unified and should be nice. If nothing else you can go direct to Tomahawk side on fast gondola now instead of having to ride a couple slow lifts to get there, and should reduce lines on other lifts.

They are really pushing the timeline on improvements this year. They are still barely off the ground with the bridge, and they just set the last gondi tower today...

Smuggs skin n' ski is spicy with intermittent crust, then gobs of fresh McSnow. Stowe opens Friday, I'm looking forward to some lift served. I'm physically wrecked at the moment. No pix, I leave the phone in the car. I never realized how fucked one is without one's sole source of communication. I gotta say, a $30 Android is a good value. Did I post about this already? Been hitting the beers harder than usual. I gave up getting on a scale. The one up here got water damaged and doesn't work. True story.