Elk 2/17

Mess

Awesome Day at Elk. Lift lines were pretty non existent. Lifts are pretty slow, Lodge is really basic but the snow was the best I have skied this year.  Ski patroller I rode up with on the lift said they had blown 3-4 inches on about 9 trails and were going to hit another 9 trails tonight.  

We pulled into the lot around 9 and skied until 2.  Took one 10 minute break.  Snow was too good to be sitting in a lodge.  Road most of the trails.  I know people make fun of the "like skiing in Vermont but closer".  It is obviously not as good as Vermont but the trails layout is the best in Eastern Pa in my opinion.  I know that some of the better skiers would like tree skiing but I am fine staying on groomers.  Upper Tunk was a really nice mogul trail.  The blue trails skiers left are a lot of fun and the trail layout is better than most of the trails I have skied in the Poconos.

The extra 30-40 minutes driving is worth it.

• Like 1

Nice report, thanks.

Will be interested to hear a conditions report since the weekend warmup occurred.  

Elk's website says 'granular, groomed.' Yes, I presumed as much.  Is melt-water openly flowing, how many brown spots on the trails?

Nice report, thanks.

Will be interested to hear a conditions report since the weekend warmup occurred.  

Elk's website says 'granular, groomed.' Yes, I presumed as much.  Is melt-water openly flowing, how many brown spots on the trails?

I was up there yesterday. No brown spots whatsoever, no ice, no running water. Snow was soft as slushy but consistent and the base on the main trails (night trails) looks like it can stand the test of time. Hopefully at least until march 23 which is their 100th day that they strive for.

I was up there yesterday. No brown spots whatsoever, no ice, no running water. Snow was soft as slushy but consistent and the base on the main trails (night trails) looks like it can stand the test of time. Hopefully at least until march 23 which is their 100th day that they strive for.

Dang - the 23rd is a looooong way off with a dismal forecast.   

• Like 1

Had another good day today.  Stayed at Clarks Summit Comfort Inn last night.  We pulled into a pretty empty parking lot around 8:45.  Was pretty pissed when the lift ticket worker told me there was a blackout on the 4th Graders ski for free but that is my fault for not reading the fine print.  Mountain held up pretty well from he warm up.  The snow varied from trail to trail.  Delaware had good snow early and by the end of the day good spring conditions.  There was sugary powder early on Tioga and as the day went on some icy spots were exposed but there were some awesome soft bumps. My son enjoyed getting some air and I have to admit I did too.  A few of the steeper trails were fast hard pack early.  I was shocked how steep Iroquois was and it was fast since it was very shaded.  My wife and son both did Wyalusing which is a nice black trail for beginners. I went to Tecumseh to check it out and it was challenging with the soft snow and icy spots so I kept them off that trail. Toughest spots to ski were the bottoms of the trails. Very soft mashed potatoes.  Took my son down Lackawanna (pretty steep). He handled it well but his legs were burning because he was turning so much to control his speed.

Overall a good day.  Never really waited in lift lines and the lodge was much less crowded then Friday.