New "No Outside Food" in the lodges policy

enjoralas

Blue is about to take an absolute beating in the court of public opinion over the no outside food policy they unveiled today. It's already happening over on their Facebook page. Be interesting to see if they try to ride it out or get rid of the policy. 

I get it, personally as someone who usually ponies up for food at a mountain if I stay long enough, it's really annoying when it's tough to find a table because they're all filled with groups taking twice the space they need with their 3-cooler packed smorgasbord. Or worse, the tables with bags and coolers on them and no one even around. But banning all outside food seems foolish and short sighted.

Are there any other mountains that do so? I've only been to Blue, Camelback, Bear Creek, and JF and BB, and I don't recall seeing any signs and pretty sure I saw outside food in the lodge at all of them.

The problem with bringing food in from outside is that people bring in those massive coolers, set them on top of a table while they ski and use them to reserve tables for the whole day. Meanwhile people coming off the hill and paying for their food are spending 20 minutes looking for a corner to sit in. I kinda agree with it although at the end of the day it really doesn't affect me so I'm not up in arms over it.

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 1

Enjorales do the amusement parks you visit allow outside food and drinks?

Most don't, a few do. My favorite park, Knoebels, does and even provides covered picnic pavilions you can use if they are not reserved for company groups.

Believe it or not, the big boy on the block, Walt Disney World, allows outside food and drinks as long as there is no glass.

The problem with bringing food in from outside is that people bring in those massive coolers, set them on top of a table while they ski and use them to reserve tables for the whole day. Meanwhile people coming off the hill and paying for their food are spending 20 minutes looking for a corner to sit in. I kinda agree with it although at the end of the day it really doesn't affect me so I'm not up in arms over it.

Yeah, as I said that's always been my annoyance with it as well. I would think that hills would at least reserve most of the tables, especially the ones close to the food service areas, for active paying food customers. Since I never bring food (or if I did it would be BBQ'd out in the lot with you heathens) it doesn't really affect me either. Although as an indoor boot-up guy I'm gonna be annoyed when they won't even let me bring my half drank Red Bull in with me while I boot up.

I guess I'm surprised that with all the catering they do to the race teams they would enact a policy that is so unfriendly toward them. Looks like mostly race moms bitching so far.

I was just throwing it out there that if you're the type that likes to sit back and watch the world burn, there's likely to be a whole lotta that over on Blue's Facebook page for awhile, lol

Yeah, as I said that's always been my annoyance with it as well. I would think that hills would at least reserve most of the tables, especially the ones close to the food service areas, for active paying food customers. Since I never bring food (or if I did it would be BBQ'd out in the lot with you heathens) it doesn't really affect me either. Although as an indoor boot-up guy I'm gonna be annoyed when they won't even let me bring my half drank Red Bull in with me while I boot up.

I guess I'm surprised that with all the catering they do to the race teams they would enact a policy that is so unfriendly toward them. Looks like mostly race moms bitching so far.

I was just throwing it out there that if you're the type that likes to sit back and watch the world burn, there's likely to be a whole lotta that over on Blue's Facebook page for awhile, lol

I should've read your whole post. Completely missed your cooler comment before posting. Lol

With a regard to Facebook, don't get me started. That place is a magnet for whiners. Let them complain. Maybe the 6 pack lines will be a little shorter.

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 1

They really need to expand the lower lodge. Also, no ones gonna call the skipo if youre sitting with a brown bag.

Its for those jersey and ny idiots that use tables all day

The lower lodge is plenty big they already expanded it with the tents.

Apparently today they had skipo's at the doors preventing people from bringing anything in at all.

No that was security to make sure people were safe. Didn't see you yesterday enjorales

The lower lodge is plenty big they already expanded it with the tents.

No that was security to make sure people were safe. Didn't see you yesterday enjorales

No, didn't make it out yesterday. Pops had work from 8-12, we had planned to go to Camel after since they were having a free demo day, but bagged it and I just got caught up on yard work.

Headed out to Montage in a bit, have two tickets that I bought in December that we have to use so figured we'd give it a look today.

• Like 1

No, didn't make it out yesterday. Pops had work from 8-12, we had planned to go to Camel after since they were having a free demo day, but bagged it and I just got caught up on yard work.

Headed out to Montage in a bit, have two tickets that I bought in December that we have to use so figured we'd give it a look today.

Hope you had fun at montage. Post a report. I haven't skied there since 2008 with Melissa

After a little thought I agree with their policy. Unbeknownst to me..some sit inside the lodge and take up tables with beer brought from home. Where else can you do that? This isn't a private club it's a business. The great thing is there's like fifty spots to get food cheap on the way up and you can have snacks on the lift or at your car and on the way home again those fifty spots again. And if you already went all in on a lift ticket and day out with your family then buy some hot chocolate and pierogies and $9 chicken fingers shaped like North Carolina.

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 2

When I worked at Bear, one of our jobs was to patrol the lodge on weekends and request people not leave their coolers, bags on the tables while they were skiing. Or ask the one person sitting at the table with 5 coolers while everyone else skis, to please share the table. Most people would either look at you like you were speaking another language, or just refuse to do it. Not much could be done about it. I can't believe people actually take their own beer in the lodge! I have nothing against people bringing their own food, but don't leave your cooler on a table. Just rude.

• Like 2

Policy is wrong. Brown bagging your lunch for the entire family is a ski tradition. Try pulling that in Vt (especially northern Vt) and they would revolt. That's how I fed my boys from middle school until they left for college.

That said, I feel and have experienced all the pain points you folks mentioned. I remember setting up my boys lunch in the old pass holder room up top at a 6 person table with one guy working on his computer cause no open tables open. He remarked we should not eat there because if we spilled a drink his computer could get ruined. I remarked we are eating, do our best not to trash his computer and we are willing to take our chances. Guy was not happy but I had a crew to feed!

Blue needs to enact a policy for no camping out on tables( with gear coolers etc), that is reasonable. But those nazi'ed up security guards? Really?????? That was a insulting joke.

Oh yeah, no inside food allowed in the parking lot...

Edited by tarponhead
  • Like 1

^ this

When I was younger for a number of reasons my mom was no joke broke, at one point she worked three jobs.

She could scrounge up enough money to get my sister and I tickets but that was about it.

Now we all have lots of money, I haven't eaten a packed lunch in two decades but if even one kid or family misses on skiing because of lunch that's just stupid.

Skiing has become such a country club sport for the most part and it's worse because of it. Fancy lodges and a billion high speed lifts don't mean Fuck all when your new participant numbers suck.

Let golf be the waspy domain of the rich, skiing is way too cool for that shit.

The real problem is lodge lady/racer mom's who spend all day sitting at a 45 person table so there family has somewhere to eat for 45 mins.

EDIT: The security guard thing is such a joke.....

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 4