End of season imminent?

Old Geezer

Might have to make a trip to Elk when I return from Utah. I really like Elk. Just wish they had a high speed lift.

For the rest of the season there won't be any lift lines longer than two minutes. If you go during the week they will be nonexistent. You can get 5 runs in an hour (unless you're a slow poke). On a half day ticket that's 20 runs, and because the lifts are "slow" the trails are uncrowded. Definitely works for the "Elkaholics".

Elks main lodge will still allow you to bring your own food in. Which I suggest, the food at Elk is at best only fair and has grown increasingly expensive. Breakfast is always good, but sausage egg and cheese, large coffee and an orange is $11.25! Water with ice and plastic cup is self service, still free and greatly appreciated. The seating is uncomfortable if you are an adult.

Better yet, their is a picnic lodge with an open hearth fire for grilling whatever you like. The seating is old school picnic tables and there are plenty of electrical outlets around.

There will be a handful of regulars around and that's about it. If it is really quiet on Monday or Tuesday they will let you park in the upper lot. Either way, if you ask the guys they will probably let you drive up to the picnic lodge(ask for the halfway house) to drop your picnic stuff off.

• 2 weeks later...

People were sneaking in the trees all day yesterday. It's deep in there. In 35 years of skiing here I never saw conditions like this. The base is unbelievable.

A fair sized crowd with three minute lift lines occasionally. Caused because they were only running one of the doubles at the lodge instead of two.

Bumps on Tunk were soft.

Today is Spring Carnival, hopefully the weather will cooperate

• Like 1