Best Local Shop for Tuning and Mounting?

SallyCat

I'm looking to buy a pair of discounted skis I've got an eye on and then have the bindings taken off my old pair and put on the new. BUT, I also want to put a 2mm or so shim under the toe of the bindings to fix a ramp angle issue. 

I ski at Blue mostly, and have had their shop do some minor work; JD is great, and the shop guys are super nice, but when I asked about binding shims, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. The shop seems more retail-oriented than tuning-focused beyond waxing and running the Montana. But maybe I'm wrong--is there a tech there that I should talk to?

Buckmans: forget it. I went to try on a pair of boots there and the "bootfitter" yelled at me for asking for a size down from my brannock measurement, then he literally, and I'm not kidding, fell off his stool.

The other options I see are the Loft near CBK and Alpina near JFBB.  I've had a good experience at one of those places, and a bad experience at the other.  One place was super aggressive in telling me what I should have done instead of doing what I was clearly, unambiguously asking for.  It was very unpleasant.  (And yeah, I knew exactly why I wanted what I wanted. I enjoy discussing gear and tuning and I appreciate helpful advice, but this wasn't helpful, it was pushy and condescending). 

So, since I'm fairly new to the area I thought I'd put it put to you PASRs: is there a shop that people generally trust for serious work?

First, welcome to PASR and the area. Don't let GrilledSteezeSandwich scare you away with his idiocy. 

The only thing I can say about Buckman's, is that they ship all of there stuff from the store up here in the LV to one of their main ones in the Philly area for mountain, tuning, etc. So, it is very unlikely that the fool who fell off the stool will be the one taking care of that. I had skis mounted there a few years ago and did not have any issues. The last pair I mounted in a friend's basement so I haven't used Buckman's in a bit. 

• Like 3

One place was super aggressive in telling me what I should have done instead of doing what I was clearly, unambiguously asking for.  It was very unpleasant.  (And yeah, I knew exactly why I wanted what I wanted. I enjoy discussing gear and tuning and I appreciate helpful advice, but this wasn't helpful, it was pushy and condescending). 

I have never been to the loft, but the above kinda screams out Alpina.  I have had similar experiences there, just on a smaller scale.  Not hating on the dude or his place, but i do know how he could do more business.  

I have never been to the loft, but the above kinda screams out Alpina.  I have had similar experiences there, just on a smaller scale.  Not hating on the dude or his place, but i do know how he could do more business.  

Yeah; he's a decent guy and the other people who work there are awesome. But I don't want to have to brace for an argument just to get my skis taken care of.

Give Dave Taylor at Guenthars Ski Haus in Uniondale a call.  570-222-2754.

He definitely knows his business. Moved from PA to CO and worked several years there (Vail on mountain) as boot fitter and tech. Moved back to PA to get married. Also in same area (around Elk) is Idlewild Ski Shop, they work extensively with Elks' race teams and ski patrol.
  • Like 1

Wow well welcome back. I guess that means you aren't a young female..oh well. Why did you give up skiing???

Living and working in south Louisiana, mostly; I was kicked up here after Hurricane Katrina and eventually remembered how fun skiing was and decided to give it  a try last year.  Shaped skis, man; wow!  And boot heaters!!  When I saw Okemo's heated bubble chair last year I just about fell over. 

Will be in Vermont this weekend. I'll probably get to Blue an evening or two this week; I'm committed to skill-building, so I practice a lot. 

Living and working in south Louisiana, mostly; I was kicked up here after Hurricane Katrina and eventually remembered how fun skiing was and decided to give it  a try last year.  Shaped skis, man; wow!  And boot heaters!!  When I saw Okemo's heated bubble chair last year I just about fell over. 

Will be in Vermont this weekend. I'll probably get to Blue an evening or two this week; I'm committed to skill-building, so I practice a lot.

Did you work on an oil rig?? Let us know when you'll be at Blue..the only night this week I'm sure of is Thursday. Tomorrow looks like rain and Wednesday nights I sing karaoke and need to rest up for that. Have fun in Vermont.

• Like 1

Sweetplanks are you gonna be at Blue mountain this weekend??

Turns out I will be at Blue this weekend. Be nice to meet people if nobody minds being seen with a middle-aged lady with slovenly skiing technique and a tendency to swing by the bar for morale purposes.  :-)

• Like 4