Thoughts on Steamboat

theprogram4

For those of you who have ridden steamboat, what did you think?  I thought the mountain was a little too intermediate for me, I was able to ride every trail on the map including the hikeable terrain.  when i go out west I assume there will be a handful of runs that I cannot do.  woods skiing seemed to be their forte, and their was plenty of it.  unfortunately the conditions for tree skiing werent great, but I made do.  it was a very enjoyable mountain, but im debating whether i rank copper ahead of it.  not sure cause i only got 1 day at copper.  

Steamboat is mainly an intermediate mountain it's not known as an extreme place like Jackson hole or even some of Abasin. Although they receive a lot of snowfall due to its low elevation the snow melts fast. I like the town of Steamboat a lot and if you are there in the summer time there's a rodeo. Most places out west there are not a handful of runs I can't ski..that's really only for the expert mountains like Jackson, squaw valley, perhaps a few things at whistler. I like copper better than steamboat personally and although steamboat has more vert you are mainly skiing the upper half.

Anyway after Jackson hole Colorado is flat!!!

Steamboat is decent. Not my favorite mountain but I enjoy it. My parents go out for a trip every winter because we have friends that have a place (house in town and a timeshare) there so they usually meet up. We have our favorite restaurants and bars in town. We have our favorite runs. It's fairly routine when we are there. It's an easy trip for me to tag on along on so I have advantage of it.

Edited by Zonked
  • Like 1

Why is ABasin the last? Cause it's smallest? What makes Breck number one?

bad conditions, lack of terrain, small.

breck is huge and has everything from goomers to bowls to cliff drops, and thats just counting in bounds.  ive had great gate runs there as well.  challenging terrain as well.  i was debating breck or vail for #1, but breck won out due to more challenging terrain.  vail has more bowls and woods, but breck has a decent amount and they are more challenging.

Bad conditions at Abasin?? Jackson hole had pretty bad conditions when we were there does that lower the ranking of it?? I never knew Breck had challenging terrain. I've avoided it because I thought it was flat except for the top 500 vert or so. You should try beaver creek. Lots of steeps there.

Aren't lack of terrain and small the same thing???

The chutes at the top are steep as shit. Not much else scary there in terms of terrain but I think Steamboat is known for its trees more than anything. Personally I prefer any of the cottonwood resorts (little or big) and probably Snowbasin to steamboat.

Edited by RidgeRacer

Bad conditions at Abasin?? Jackson hole had pretty bad conditions when we were there does that lower the ranking of it?? I never knew Breck had challenging terrain. I've avoided it because I thought it was flat except for the top 500 vert or so. You should try beaver creek. Lots of steeps there.

Aren't lack of terrain and small the same thing???

conditions at jackson hole were not bad, there was just no new snow.  i dont think id spend more than $40 to ride Abasin, and that is saying alot, cause i spent $30 to ride spring this year.  a basin could arguably be the worst mountain ive been to out west out of 7 states and 18 resorts.

The chutes at the top are steep as shit. Not much else scary there in terms of terrain but I think Steamboat is known for its trees more than anything. Personally I prefer any of the cottonwood resorts (little or big) and probably Snowbasin to steamboat.

i was very impressed with both brighton and solitude last season, definetly want to get there again.  cheap prices as well ($79 lift ticket at the window)

Zonked what's your favorite mountain?? I remember you went to Aspen years ago. The combination of highlands, snowmass and Aspen mountain in my opinion is better than steamboat but still not much extreme terrain.

I've been to a few of mountains (not just in CO) but over a 15 year period so it's hard to say. I barely remember some of the mountains. I do remember really enjoying Breckenridge. For the past 4ish years though, I've only been to Steamboat. I also never skied Aspen - we went for dinner one night or something while in Snowmass. I forget

I've been to:

Steamboat

Breck

Park City

Squaw

Alpine Meadows

Heavenly

North Star

Might have gone to one or two others but can't remember.

Edited by Zonked
  • Like 1

Crested Butte is a smallish mountain comparatively but from what I have read has the most extreme inbounds terrain around.  Way above my skill level but just sayin...

Unfortunately when I was at created butte back in 2001 there was only about a 40" base so the extreme terrain wasn't open..silverton also has a lot of legit terrain apparently as well as telluride.

I really enjoy steamboat.  But of the 5 or so days i have skied there, only one of them was in less than really good conditions.  The trees are really where its at there....there are trees for everybody, meaning steep to some really low angle stuff.  The steeper stuff over by the Chutes, North St Pats, East face...we had a ball in there last time we went.  Chute 2 is kinda where i had a discussion with myself, looking through a very narrow, steep throat where you just kinda had to point them straight for a bit and hope everything comes out ok on the other end of this.  I remember thinking, "if i fuck this up, its gonna be big."  Anyways, i would love to see your pics of Chute 1 if you took any in there.  I really havent skied "trails" there, unless it was in between the trees and the lift.   3 days is enough at steamboat though.  I feel like the town and the hill are 1 entity.  The town is really cool.  

Crested Butte is a smallish mountain comparatively but from what I have read has the most extreme inbounds terrain around.  Way above my skill level but just sayin...

Huh.  Some time i would like to check that place out.  

im still pissed that piece of shit employee gave us attitude for smoking cigs in the middle of the fucking woods.  imagine if i yelled at a customer on our lot for smoking...i would be looking for a new job.  its a damn shame people dont understand the concepts of respect and minding their own fucking business

• Like 1

It might be a smoke free mountain. I'm surprised you didn't get in trouble for smoking blunts. Speaking of customer service I just spent 40 minutes on hold and on the phone with my health insurance company because they over billed is $7,000 and holy shit I got one hell of a run around and nothing was resolved. Makes me feel a lot better about the customer service we provide because although I'm often a snarky asshole I put on a good face when my customers are on the phone or in the office.

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

It might be a smoke free mountain. I'm surprised you didn't get in trouble for smoking blunts.

dude was like "Don't you know National Forests are smoke free!?"

joke is on him, cause by this time next year Trump will have dismantled the National Forest system and the EPA.  "And you can tell them, to go fuck themselves." -President Donald J. Trump

• Like 2