Colorado 4/9-4/16..

I think I'm gonna ski two days at Abasin...tomorrow because I know there'll be some wind buff in the vicinity of the spine and will be cold..and later this week head back there on the warmest day cause will still

Prob be below freezing to start..microclimate...gonna do two days at copper, one at Loveland and try winter park for the first time likely on my last ski day on my way to Denver. Saturday there should be pretty lit hoping for some gaper day type Shennanagins and light to moderate apres.

Still at murphys pub gonna leave in a second. Wind chill now single numbers. Walked here a whole 6 minutes. Here is a picture from

Way here.post-512-0-55219900-1491797092_thumb.jpegpost-512-0-10272700-1491797109_thumb.jpeg

Drinking some sort of amber ale suggested by bartender. post-512-0-42860200-1491797141_thumb.jpeg. I hope I don't look like a gaper.

My rental car is pimp. Has push button start...they all have backup cams now and I got the hard sell to pay $25 a day extra to potentially save a $500

Deductible. Gosh I probably just jinxed myself.

• Like 2

Day 1 of 6

Abasin

Hey all,

Back from a fun day at Abasin. Had free breakfast at the hotel muffin, bagel, banana and OJ and coffee. Took my time and bought cool sunglasses on the way because I broke mine closing weekend. Ended up pulling in before the 9am opening and was parked in the fourth row. Booter up pretty fast in chilly low 20s temperatures and was on the lift a few minutes later. I did the black mountain express twice to get the legs back on groomed blues and the snow was good eastern mid winter snow on the groomed. Off trail was variable probably 5 different kinds of conditions. I then skied the Lenawee lift and scored some sweet untracked spine type thing along a snow fence. Was on my mantras and the only time today I wanted to be on the shiros as most of the untracked was shallow. The most untracked was on runs that weren't groomed but were groomed the previous day.

Did the skate to montazuma bowl. I counted it's about 25-30 double poll plant and skates on the groomed slightly uphill cat track to Montazuma bowl from Lenawee in the master plan they are gonna build a surface lift there. The backside wasn't as good as the frontside stopped in the 420 woods then took the quad back to the top. Was gonna ski Pali lift but nobody was really skiing it except the herb route back to the main area so I decided to save the face and the spine for when it's 20 degrees warmer Thursday. Probably gonna be a whole lot of bumps cause on Wednesday they are having an annual endurance comp on the Pali lift. The bartender said they even speed up the lift and its from 7am to 5pm and I think sponsors hook up competitors with food for the lift rides. I think the winner was like 70 runs and that's 1300 vert or so per run. That's insane

Report to be continue with pictuRes.

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 5

After montazuma bowl did a top to bottom front side run. Stopped once a quarter of the way down to take pictures. Skied a little lower east wall and a few good patches. Skied to the bottom was good so did another lower cruiser fast with the high speed lift and no wait. Then went into the mid mountain bar and had Bacon infused vodka Bloody Mary..has a pickle, olive, bacon and pepper also had an IPA and a local snowboard guy told me half his life story but I was ready to hit the slopes and he had a full beer so i peaced out. Bartend D was super nice left a $5 tip.

Back on the slopes I took the Lenawee lift and skied the area along the fence I think it's called power line again and still semi untracked pretty thick snow groomers were eastern like as it was 1230 by the time I left the bar and slopes more crowded. Did a top to bottom fast run and then a woods run on the lower mountain snow was pretty icy in the woods. Skied to about 6 cars of my car..only a few were tailgating maybe to cold for peeps. I could see lower areas of montezuma bowl getting spring like later this afternoon but just was way to cold even with the sun. I found a airline sized rum bottle in my ski pants and took a nip of it and was nasty so probably have the rest with diet stoke sometime. Stopped at the noodle company for take away and had buttered noodles with shrimp, side ceaser salad and garlic bread with cheese a juice and a bottled water was like $17.

• Like 3

At copper mountain today. Used buddy pass for $79 lift ticket. It's so freaking dead here. I skied a couple runs so far on super bee and excelerator. Groomers are one step softer than frozen cord..pretty firm though. Temperature was around 30 at the base when I booted up and cooler on the mountain with a breeze. Taking safety break now in the woods and gonna ski to the base then work my way over to the right side where they set up a BBQ and have a hot dog and beer in about an hour maybe ski to the other on mountain hut and have another beer. Gotta pace myself today if I want my legs to be good for the spring snow later will take awhile.

Last night outside Ruby Tuesdays. post-512-0-53018500-1491927125_thumb.jpeg

Drive to copper. post-512-0-18119500-1491927154_thumb.jpeg

Top of super beepost-512-0-49210200-1491927203_thumb.jpeg

Ok time to ski some more.

• Like 4

Beer thirty near the top of Tiberline area. The T. rex grill is closed. Not hungry yet maybe eat late lunch at base of the super bee. post-512-0-57356200-1491930161_thumb.jpeg

Seriously dude, ruby tues? Go somewhere local.

The great wizard andy parry almost got me a job there. Didnt work out

I was in the mood for a good salad bar and cheap steak. Was super good.

Got second beer. Half the time here I don't even feel like going out to dinner so just order pizza or go to jimmy johns for a hoagie. I do wanna try the Vietnamese place in frisco one night. Supposed to be the best Pho in Colorado. Also murphys pub for corned beef nachos. I can't seem to order anything else there although their Cobb salad looks good.

I'm practically sitting on top of a speaker. Super relaxing 30 minute two beer break wish I could burn one in this deck but children around. post-512-0-38299500-1491931216_thumb.jpeg

The Mint is expensive?

The mint in Silverthorne. You actually pick out your own steak and cook it yourself. I remember it was like $35+ for a steak but came with salad bar and potato. I didn't want to cook it myself so they just prepared it for me. Was a good steak but not double as good as the $18 one at Ruby Tuesdays and the salad bar at Ruby Tuesdays in Allentown is elite. I always go there after I get a haircut cause it's right nearby.

• Like 1

Another safety meeting spot...now it's cloudy snow really isn't getting that soft except right at the base. Gonna do timberline again and then super bee again.

Pho always sounds like a good idea and after 5 minutes I find it a huge pain in the ass to eat.

Just use a fork instead of chopsticks voila!!!

Ok time for a couple more runs.

• Like 1

After my beer break it still wasn't that soft. I skied a run down Jaques and it was very eastern like but most of the others in the timberline area were at least decent groomed snow..bumps were solid woods were manky I made a few hop turns simply to change directions. Skied down to the base from the timberline chair and was still pretty firm until the very bottom. The two beers earlier gav me the alcohol taste so I walked up to the outdoor umbrella bar and had a Jack and Coke for $7. Then walked with my drink into the village and ended up getting a turkey, Brie and pesto crepe from a bakery and ate it on a bench outside with the rest of my JD and Coke. Back up the American eagle which is like a 2,000 vertical foot high speed with a trail map on the safety bar. Gives you something to do on the ride up.

I went back into timberline area did a few high speed cruisers still firm went back to the super bee area still firm except for the mini switchback type connector from the center village to the east village. Went up super bee again still couldn't find much corn maybe a little near corn mid mountain and lower was just kind of gluey and legs were tired..terrain is steep enough where I only let me run on greens and easier blues. Terrain a bit to variable to go compoetry mach schnell but with lack of crowds I had a few steezy speed runs for sure.

There was also a big USASA championship with super pipe, rail garden, big dawg booters and skiercross. I only rode the lift that goes by the competition once as I was to far left at the bottom for the American eagle so took that lift to timberline. I was the second best parking spot besides where Moe Ghoul would be parked..had a pleasant 20 minute conversation in the lot with lady who lives in Denver and has a place in Silverthorne but from Maryland originally. She was also saying the snow didn't get as soft as expected partly because it started out so cold(still below freezing at 9am at the base) and clouds moved in around 1230'as well. Tomorrow is supposed to be a full 10'degrees warmer than today and sunny. I'm hopeful that the off piste will be nice and can be on my shiros.

This is a good parking spot. post-512-0-08314400-1491946095_thumb.jpeg

Tesla charging station. Guy thought I was weird for taking picture whatever enjoy your $100,000 ride. I'm loving the Nissan Rogue..post-512-0-73511900-1491946124_thumb.jpeg

Ungroomed blue run Jaques..as I stopped to take pictures a 10 year old came straight lining followed by a ski patroller straight lining. Way to get after it. post-512-0-39575400-1491946190_thumb.jpeg

Scenic view very springlike no snow on the trees but the 1" that fell two days ago is still virgin in most of the woods. Just enough to cover up yellow snow. post-512-0-91823600-1491946265_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3