4/8/17 - PA skiing the second weekend in April!

Just finishing up lunch at Boulder View Tavern after a nice day on the snow at Boulder.

We arrived at about 9:30 for the 10:00 opening and headed into the snow right about ten after buying tickets and booting up in the lodge. We jumped on the Merry Widow lift to head down Mittle-Weg. Snow was nice spring corn with some firmness to it due to the cold temps overnight.

Headed right at the bottom of the hill to hit the Big Boulder lift and check out Draufganger. On the way up it looked like Bunny's Elbow/Schuss was open, and it was. Not sure why they didn't have them listed as open on the website, With those two trails they had 50% more trails and 100% more non-freestyle terrain open than advertised.

We decided to hit Bunny since it was open and found pretty much the same snow conditions, maybe a bit softer because of the flatter trail getting hit by the sun already. Coverage was nice on all trails, wall to wall with pretty much sufficient depth. All three trails did start showing some dirt by the end of the day in a few spots.

Went back up the triple and ran Draufganger, which was for me the run of the day. Same firm corn as Mittle, and it stayed very uncrowded all day so there was little worry about traffic at the bottom where Bunny merges in.

We stayed on the Big Boulder lift for all of the rest of our 28 runs for the day. Mostly Draufganger with 8-10 Bunny runs and 3 or 4 Mittle-Weg thrown in. Would have run MW more if it wasn't a pain to get to.

Snow got progressively more mashed potato-ey as the morning and early afternoon went on. By the time we called it quits at about 1:30 it was pretty soft all over, and some areas were starting to bump up pretty good with piles of mashed. Skated over and skied down Love Park to finish as close to the lodge as possible.

After debooting and dropping gear in the car we popped into the shop to check out the sale. Seemed good with a "Buy one item, get one for $4" deal on soft goods, and same deal but $17 for the second item for glasses, goggles and helmets. Left without buying tho, didn't see anything that jumped at us, and only a few options for my fat ass anyway.

They're supposed to be open again tomorrow and I see no reason they wouldn't be able to have the same 6 trails open. They could probably make it to next week with a t least a trail or two, but based on the crowd I would bet tomorrow is it.

Either way, today was the last day on the skis for me for this season. Really enjoyed the hell out of it and definitely progressed as a skier. Put in 31 days at 5 different PA hills (2 new to me) for about 209k vertical skied. Now I guess it's roller coaster and theme park time. Disney in 27 days!

Edited by enjoralas
  • Like 3

Based on yesterday's report, went out for a few runs today. Got there about noon, things were pretty soft, but Draufganger was nice. Mittle-weg was almost unskied and was almost like skiing it mid winter.

A few parting shots:

b7808046ed20fe9c83d7e09c3c1af8e1.jpg

ea536a7d7d02b50ece5e8efb26c39914.jpg

6326bc043a8167e2264285a1d99ba10d.jpg

• Like 1

Still kicking ideas around. Looking at places we can drive to. Probably Niagara Falls, Rehoboth or Dewey. Also thinking about Grand Canyon of PA. Definitely going to Pittsburgh for a U2 gig (Philly too). Should be fun

If you have a moderately high clearance vehicle there are some nice gravel roads on the west side of Pine Creek (grand canyon of PA). Fishing, camping, biking, float canoeing - nice area.

• Like 1

I worked in Wellsboro for a week about 20 yrs ago. Gave new meaning to quaint, small town usa. Really nice place.

Not the kind of town that would be suited for a walmart or a target, if you get my drift.

Fracking central for PA now.

Fracking central for PA now.

A lot of the long time skibums worked on an oil rig at some point to make a lot of money in a short period of time. It's usually 12 hour shifts but sometimes it's 7 days on and 7 days off which is great for people to travel. Once oil prices rise and they will US will

Be pumping out a lot of oil.

I worked in Wellsboro for a week about 20 yrs ago.  Gave new meaning to quaint, small town usa.  Really nice place.  

Not the kind of town that would be suited for a walmart or a target, if you get my drift. Yes, really nice town. Don't see much of that sort of thing anymore