Ski Season 17 - 18 thread

RidgeRacer

I have ridden the long haul i think on 2 separate occasions.  The one time i was there, conditions were primo on White lightning or boomer, which ever one was left ungroomed.  It was, to quote johnny law, "tits Magee".  i lapped that all day.

I'd like to meet Mr. Tits Magee one day. Although, I think I have unofficially met him on multiple occasions on pow days.

• Like 1

Admittedly Montage is a little lacking on decent vert and diversity of steep trails... 

1000 vert ft is top tier by PA standards. I find the variety on the north face to be OK for PA standards as well, and def more diverse than anything at Blue Mtn. Blue Knob may have a bit more diversity, if you include the gladed areas. most of their steep trails have similar character and feel IMHO. everyone knows that razor's edge at Blue Mtn is probably one of the best trails in the state for sustained, continuous "steep" skiing (but it's not really that steep), but it's usually closed off and used for the racing events. like JFskiDan says....it's only PA skiing, so it's probably best to bounce around to get a decent mix of stuff. (at least that's what tinymoose and I do).

So I think I figured out what I'll do. Since I missed the boat on a season pass and they are now $599 each (still not terrible I guess) I'm going to get two of the triple play peak ticket packages which will give me 6 weekend days at Blue for $238 (or $39.66 per day). This will also let me hit up Montage occasionally if I go back to Scranton to visit people and such. Then as soon as Blue offers the season pass for next year (hopefully February) I'll snag that and finish off the season. 

• Like 8

So I think I figured out what I'll do. Since I missed the boat on a season pass and they are now $599 each (still not terrible I guess) I'm going to get two of the triple play peak ticket packages which will give me 6 weekend days at Blue for $238 (or $39.66 per day). This will also let me hit up Montage occasionally if I go back to Scranton to visit people and such. Then as soon as Blue offers the season pass for next year (hopefully February) I'll snag that and finish off the season. 

It's a good strategy, you could essentially do this every other year and get 1.5 years out of each pass filling in the early half of the off seasons with the ticket packs. It's what I would do if I wasn't so close that night skiing after work 2-3 times a week is feasible. 

If you go on sundays TP4 and VTMark will be there so you have other snowboarders to ride with as PASR is lacking in shredders

I'm actually interested in making the transition to skis so in a year or so I'll be able to keep up with you guys on two planks. 

• Like 4

I'm actually interested in making the transition to skis so in a year or so I'll be able to keep up with you guys on two planks. 

We will have a rental area at the PASR ski shack that you can browse through.  

Edited by JFskiDan
  • Like 1

montage is fun, but it is essentially 3 good runs on the north face. i dont count white lighting cause of the moguls.

Boomer usually has moguls too. Part of what makes for fun variety there. And both seem naturally formed, which I prefer, rather than seeded.

I never really ride Long Slow Haul more than once or twice even if it is open. Only bother with it at all if glades at top are open, as otherwise the top is a bore.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 2

If you find out any info, post up. Was considering grabbing a few this year instead of Camel triple ticket, but if it's totally gone I'll save the club membership fee.

There will reportedly be limited numbers made available to ski clubs. So joining a club gives you an opportunity to get one or more but not a certainty.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski