Ski Season 17 - 18 thread

RidgeRacer

Nice collection. And good for me, since so you should know how they ski in comparison... Do you notice in general that fatter skis have worse edge grip than SL skis? I skied my 70mm back to back with two other wider pairs (still a far cry from 115mm) once and was unpleasantly surprised by how they constantly wanted to wander off to the side from underneath me. And I knew for sure that they were quite sharp and with decent 0.5/3 bevels... Yeah, they were skiable, but in a more gentle, cautious way. It took many runs to find the right balance of force to maintain control, and it made my legs hurt a lot in the process. I simply could never learn to fully trust them. IDK whether they were just bad pairs or that's a general rule, the wider the ski, the less the edge grip. What do you think?

I’d guess (without ever seeing you ski) you are tail gunning a bit. Most skiers can comfortably carve on fatties (except Indiggio: he carves fat skis just fine just hurts his knee [emoji16]). Or maybe you were on crap skis - don’t want to turn this into geek technique discussion. Plenty of other ski forums for that stuff

I roll on 78’s at blue but that is cause I like bumps but am not good enough to run them well on 90+ underfoot

50 minutes ago, eaf said:

Do they demo them at BM?

Looking at what Blue has to offer in the retail, if you want to demo something with Mantra like characteristics, try the nordica enforcer 93.  I dont think Blue carries volkl skis.  Blizzard Bonafide is really similar to the mantra as well, again, not carried by Blue.  

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

the new Xandu (i forget its new name) is scheduled to open this upcoming March 1st.  ill believe it when i see it cause the building has been sitting there empty for over 10 years now.   however, this could certainly become a year round every 3 weeks type of thing as far as riding goes

Edited by theprogram4
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

the new Xandu (i forget its new name) is scheduled to open this upcoming March 1st.  ill believe it when i see it cause the building has been sitting there empty for over 10 years now.   however, this could certainly become a year round every 3 weeks type of thing as far as riding goes

Like you said ill believe it when I see but I would love to have that option for some summer riding.

5 minutes ago, antman12 said:

I'm sorry I'm confused by this post lol. :blink:

haha Did something go over my head?

I think he's insinuating that an indoor ski hill in NJ just outside of NYC would be a suicidal nightmare. Especially on a weekend. I mean it sounds like a cool idea, but you'd have to be into skiing park features for it to be worth it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Indoor boarding, tight space, New York, New Jersey, scary!

27 minutes ago, Justin said:

I think he's insinuating that an indoor ski hill in NJ just outside of NYC would be a suicidal nightmare. Especially on a weekend. I mean it sounds like a cool idea, but you'd have to be into skiing park features for it to be worth it.

Gotcha gotcha. Yea you guys are totally right. I was actually going to make some sort of joke about how the NYers and NJers that flood blue on the weekends are bad enough, imagine this nightmare!

• Like 1