Ski Season 17 - 18 thread

RidgeRacer

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

Ha! I enjoy the beach in moderation. I can't sit out there all day unless I'm in the shade. I don't like getting disgustingly sweaty and covered in sand and having everything I won covered in sand. I'm starting to get my wife to enjoy lakes and rivers as much as beaches, which is a huge win. Sometimes it is relaxing to hang on the beach in the evening just listening to the waves and enjoying a cold beverage. 

I got my wife into going to lakes too.  In fact, I prefer it now.  I'd rather save my beach trips for going somewhere truly magical, like Hawaii (or any tropical destination).

Clearwater Beach Florida has the softest sand I've ever sat on.  It's almost like flour.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

I got my wife into going to lakes too.  In fact, I prefer it now.  I'd rather save my beach trips for going somewhere truly magical, like Hawaii (or any tropical destination).

Clearwater Beach Florida has the softest sand I've ever sat on.  It's almost like flour.

Root this is the ski season thread.  Does your wife or toasts wife have any interest in skiing??  I heard Toast gave his wife surfing lessons in the bathtub. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Ha! I enjoy the beach in moderation. I can't sit out there all day unless I'm in the shade. I don't like getting disgustingly sweaty and covered in sand and having everything I won covered in sand. I'm starting to get my wife to enjoy lakes and rivers as much as beaches, which is a huge win. Sometimes it is relaxing to hang on the beach in the evening just listening to the waves and enjoying a cold beverage. 

I hung out at the shore every summer before i bought the house in the Poconos, but still, never went to the beach.  i do get the relaxing listening to the waves.  If you dont get any kind of motion sickness, sleeping on a boat, listening to the water slap the side of the boat, might be the best night sleep you will ever have.  But, that can easily go the other way when there are 3 footers rolling through the bay, and the gentle slap of the water is now pitching you up and down and tugging on all the dock lines.  This was the last boat i owned, which i stayed on for 4 years.  I miss boating, but i dont miss funding boats.  

formula.jpg

• Like 5

I hung out at the shore every summer before i bought the house in the Poconos, but still, never went to the beach.  i do get the relaxing listening to the waves.  If you dont get any kind of motion sickness, sleeping on a boat, listening to the water slap the side of the boat, might be the best night sleep you will ever have.  But, that can easily go the other way when there are 3 footers rolling through the bay, and the gentle slap of the water is now pitching you up and down and tugging on all the dock lines.  This was the last boat i owned, which i stayed on for 4 years.  I miss boating, but i dont miss funding boats.  

formula.thumb.jpg.aaa8eff47c4853a873f5827adbd0ed33.jpg

A friend of mine always says that if you are t passionate about boating there are only two days you will enjoy it. The day you buy it. And the day you sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

A friend of mine always says that if you are t passionate about boating there are only two days you will enjoy it. The day you buy it. And the day you sell it.

Thats correct.  Make sure you are more than willing to spend money like crazy on a regular basis to enjoy your boat.  That boat there was going to put me in the poor house eventually.  Never assume you will get near what you paid for it when you go to sell it either.  

11 minutes ago, indiggio said:

BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand

Every repair cost at least $1000.  That boat almost sank.  shortly after i bought it and put it in the water, it developed a leak around the outdrive.  So, to fix it, it means hauling it out by the boat yard, and then pulling the one engine out to fix the seal.  Break out at least a thousand.  

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Ocean boats are expensive...makes our skiing addictions quite cheap in comparison. 

In perspective, it makes a second home look pretty cheap.  I sold that just as, or right before gas prices skyrocketed.  That boat burned like 25 gallons an hour at cruising speed.  I didnt take it out tons.  

• Sad 1

I dont get why boats suck? Specialized industry for repairs i get but are boats just made like crap?

They take a beating. Water and metal = cancer. SaltyAnt water is even worse. Expensive to maintain and repair. Drink gas like water.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

They take a beating. Water and metal = cancer. SaltyAnt water is even worse. Expensive to maintain and repair. Drink gas like water.

That’s why you should get a whitewater canoe. Fun as hell, takes a beating, fits on your car, no buying gas, etc. I think most people who like skiing would dig ww paddling (NOT rafting). Some of the physical principles are similar (edging, etc). Plus no lift tickets to buy and countless rivers to explore. 

Check out

Www.blackflycanoes.com 

for vids of modern whitewater canoeing

Edited by SallyCat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SallyCat said:

That’s why you should get a whitewater canoe. Fun as hell, takes a beating, fits on your car, no buying gas, etc. I think most people who like skiing would dig ww paddling (NOT rafting). Some of the physical principles are similar (edging, etc). Plus no lift tickets to buy and countless rivers to explore. 

Check out

Www.blackflycanoes.com 

for vids of modern whitewater canoeing

I didn’t know you do that. Is there anything you don’t do??

2 hours ago, Shadows said:

At what point do they get stupid though? 

An aluminum boat with an outbaord on a fresh water lake cant be that bad. 

They sort of start to get stupid when you sit down and actually figure out how much it actually does cost to use the boat. Like i said, you really need to be ok with just throwing lots of money at them. The jon boat on a lake isnt bad. But when you need to find a place to keep the boat, other than your driveway, thats kind of the start. I really liked boats. But when you sit down and start to analyze cost to enjoy (at least my boat) for maybe 5 months out of the year, its nuts. Like toast said, introduce salt water and add funds. Salt water fucks everything up. Keep in mind, its cooling your engines. That just doesn't work forever.  Add slip fee, insurance, which you really should have, because you are basically floating around with usually a fair amount of gas or fuel, that can become an environmental issues when it stops being contained. Boat insurance is pretty expensive and most marinas will require you to have it if you wanna stay at their place. Then after summer you have to winterize it and store it. Then before you wanna play with it in the spring, you have to de-winterize it and paint the bottom. Then u get to see if it still floats. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1