Ski Season 17 - 18 thread

RidgeRacer

34 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Whats the purpose/difference in a single paddle?

Although it looks like I'm in a kayak there, it's actually a canoe (Blackfly Ion).  So I am kneeling on a foam pedestal and have a fairly high center of gravity compared to a kayaker. Thus, I can get a lot of reach and leverage with a one-bladed paddle. I can also see the river much better than a kayaker. 

I've seen people use two-bladed paddles in canoes on flatwater, but never in whitewater. The way you're kneeling, I just don't think you'd have the maneuverability or power to use a kayak paddle effectively in a canoe. The T-grip lets you adjust the blade angle powerfully and quickly, for example.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

So you use a canoe instead of a kayak. 

Fair enough.

But if you kneel in a kayak and paddle with one blade, you're canoeing, not kayaking. 

Alpine vs. telemark skiing, e.g. 

10 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

I'll let it go when a picture of my family isn't used under a caption of why someone thinks something is fucked up. Someone please remove the picture.

Sorry about that, but you are completely missing the sarcasm associated with my post.  Please remove pic.  Thank you.  

• Haha 1

Although it looks like I'm in a kayak there, it's actually a canoe (Blackfly Ion).  So I am kneeling on a foam pedestal and have a fairly high center of gravity compared to a kayaker. Thus, I can get a lot of reach and leverage with a one-bladed paddle. I can also see the river much better than a kayaker. 
I've seen people use two-bladed paddles in canoes on flatwater, but never in whitewater. The way you're kneeling, I just don't think you'd have the maneuverability or power to use a kayak paddle effectively in a canoe. The T-grip lets you adjust the blade angle powerfully and quickly, for example.

Looks awesome!

I don’t think I could comfortably kneel for that long though. Kills my quads. I definitely want to try that though.

2 hours ago, NMSKI said:

Looks awesome!

I don’t think I could comfortably kneel for that long though. Kills my quads. I definitely want to try that though.

You do have a foam pedestal that you're sitting on as well, so it's not too bad; and the bigger/wider the boat, the more comfortable your legs are. Plus every time you flip over and swim, it's an opportunity to stretch your legs!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SallyCat said:

You do have a foam pedestal that you're sitting on as well, so it's not too bad; and the bigger/wider the boat, the more comfortable your legs are. Plus every time you flip over and swim, it's an opportunity to stretch your legs!

Is this a new sport before or something you’ve been doing for awhile?

5 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Is this a new sport before or something you’ve been doing for awhile?

I started whitewater paddling when I moved to PA from New Orleans, so about twelve years ago. I got into it via my school's little outing club, which was heavily whitewater focused.  When I became interested in skiing and then mtb I sold my beloved Blackfly Ion and my custom-made Millbrook Schacho in order to get myself kitted out. I miss those boats, especially the Ion. I still have the rest of my gear and can always borrow a boat, but tbh I love mountain biking, and since I can pop out the door and go riding alone, I get more use out of the bike. It's also better exercise, which I desperately need. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, SallyCat said:

The way you're kneeling, I just don't think you'd have the maneuverability or power to use a kayak paddle effectively in a canoe. 

Also, its almost impossible to roll a canoe back up if you flip with a 2 bladed paddle, not enough maneuverability in the human torso.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:30 AM, SallyCat said:

Yes it is bad, was barely able to crawl out of the boat at the end of a day.  Sticking now to my RPM kayak (my leg doesn't bend enough any more).  Some unbelievable slalom racing going on now:

1 hour ago, C1erArt said:

Yes it is bad, was barely able to crawl out of the boat at the end of a day.  Sticking now to my RPM kayak (my leg doesn't bend enough any more).  Some unbelievable slalom racing going on now:

Love the Lower Yough!

Open boating is a lot easier on the legs. C1is for hard-core masochists with mad skills! 🙂

9 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

This is nuts so the name C1 has something to do with river kayaking. Wild. 

C1: canoeing; closed boat, single paddler

OC1: Canoeing in an open boat; one paddler

OC2: tandem open canoe

K1: single kayaker

And so on. 

• 3 months later...