we're one day closer

moe ghoul

Projected opening dates. Not sure where they get the data--from the resorts themselves or speculation based on past opening dates? Not sure I would burn a MAX Pass day at K until after Thanksgiving unless there's early snow.

Killington: 10/28

Camelback: 12/14

Blue: 12/13

Big Boulder 11/24

http://www.onthesnow.com/united-states/projected-openings.html?&ud=1&o=proj_open

• Like 2

Don't even buy into the projected opening days. Blue will open Black Friday or even a week before if temperatures are right or might not open until after xmas if they can't blow snow. It's 100% weather dependent. Average opening is around the first or second weekend in December.

And thats probably what those projected opening dates are.  Averages.  Farmers almanac calling for a doozy of a winter for the northeast.  Just like last year.  

• Like 1

Don't even buy into the projected opening days. Blue will open Black Friday or even a week before if temperatures are right or might not open until after xmas if they can't blow snow. It's 100% weather dependent. Average opening is around the first or second weekend in December.

I've been hella impressed by Blue's snowmaking. two years ago when the whole east coast had a crappy winter, I was back and forth between a bunch of places in Vermont and Blue. I think Blue had the better snow by far than anyplace I went in VT. Last year they cranked out a serious base for that big March snowstorm; I couldn't believe they were spending what must have been a TON of money running the guns that late in the season. 

I've been scheming to get a job in Vermont for a couple of years now, just to be closer to family and more outdoor stuff. But as long as I'm working a M-F job, I think that I'd do way less skiing in VT than I do now in PA because there's very little night skiing up there. I'm only 30 minutes from Blue. If I leave work right after my last class, I can get almost five hours of skiing in on a weeknight. Can't do that in New England. Maybe when I get good enough to ski trees and such, I'll get restless here, but until then I'll keep shredding with the middle-schoolers on weeknights, getting the whole six-pack chair to myself because the kids refuse to ride with an old narc. 

• Like 4

SallyCat Blue often has better snow conditions than Vermont..when there's a thaw follow by a freeze in Vermont you can have some of the worst conditions imaginable. Bulletproof ice that you can see your reflection in..frozen cord that will rattle the fillings out of your teeth and death cookies. Blues snowmaking is top notch. They recover from thaws and hard freezes fast they have to because during a typical winter in MASH mid atlantic ski hell a typical week involves rain and temperatures in the teens.

Last seasons March snowmaking at Blue was normal. They've been blowing snow in March since I was in high school and many years they've blown snow on closing weekend. I had some of my best sessions at night time..and you'll always end your day in a good mood..some freezing cold nights last season but I'd still stick around for a beer or two in the lot most nights. There's a group of people who come to my karaoke who have a Wednesday night ski club at Blue and they're singing karaoke in their base layers..I can't pull that off I like wearing shirts that are conversation pieces or with things ladies dig like animals, Donald trump or the Brooklyn bridge. My sarcastic comment shirt usually only causes gayish older men to say cute shirt so I save that for when I go to Target

SallyCat Blue often has better snow conditions than Vermont..Last seasons March snowmaking at Blue was normal. 

They have a good shop, too; their bootfitter saved my season last year helping me get my stupid circus-clown-feet to work with my boots. I think I won some secret retail "Most Annoying Customer"award for needing so much picky help,  because they were definitely sick of me by March. 

SallyCat Blue often has better snow conditions than Vermont..

That's hilarious. A few days, sure. Often? No way. Blue is small enough to cover all their trails, that's it's advantage. Then it's skied off by 11.  That's the only difference.

post-2366-0-41265200-1505480198_thumb.jpg

Addit: Once it's skied off at Blue, there's no where to go. VT has endless side and backcountry for stashes.

• Like 4

That's hilarious. A few days, sure. Often? No way. Blue is small enough to cover all their trails, that's it's advantage. Then it's skied off by 11.  That's the only difference.

attachicon.gif Besler20170315001 (30).jpg

Addit: Once it's skied off at Blue, there's no where to go. VT has endless side and backcountry for stashes.

x1000

I've had days as good as anywhere out west in VT add in the tight trees and general coolness of VT and it can be a truly wondrous place.

If you stick to the groomers I can see how VT is just a longer PA but get outside of that and it doesn't hold a candle.

Jeff fucking loves VT

• Like 5

x1000

I've had days as good as anywhere out west in VT add in the tight trees and general coolness of VT and it can be a truly wondrous place.

If you stick to the groomers I can see how VT is just a longer PA but get outside of that and it doesn't hold a candle.

Jeff fucking loves VT

Yeah, I was just referring to the groomers, and just about the snow two years ago. There was not a ton of difference other than VT is bigger and less crowded, except that it's always nicer to be in Vermont. But when the weather sucked two years ago, VT sucked as much as PA and there was nowhere to go up there, either. I'm working hard on groomers so I can get good enough to do more interesting stuff, but for now, It's me and the intermediate masses scraping up the trails. 

Edited by SallyCat

x1000

Jeff fucking loves VT

i still want to go on a camping/skinning/drinking weekend up there with you.

• Like 3