Camelback Snowtubing Report - 11/24/2017

saltyant

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 4:11 PM, saltyant said:

Camelback Snowtubing Report - 11/24/2017

Still high from the adrenaline rush of skiing 800 feet at Blue on Black Friday, I decided to head north to Camelback to check out galactic snowtubing, and maybe at last get some use out of my Hero level Season Pass, which is losing its functionality due to lack of use. I've always wanted to experience galactic snowtubing at the largest snowtubing park in the USA, so my dream was finally going to be realized.

I left Blue around 2 pm and headed up the Little Gap Road, eventually coming to Bartonsville, where I ate lunch and dinner at the same time at East Gourmet Buffet. On a pow day, it's crucial to time this meal right in order to minimize expenses and avoid the dreaded lunch leftovers. Always arrive at East Gourmet Buffet before 3:30 pm and you'll save $4.60 while still getting a decent buffet. Make sure you fill up like a boa constrictor on oysters and white rice, and eat as much as your stomach can hold, or else you'll be forced to pay $5.99 for one hot dog at The Thirsty Camel.

After eating, I pulled off the Tannersville exit and could finally see the eastern side of the mountain come into view. The ski trails were pitifully bare with nary a snowflake to be seen on Cliffhanger or Nile Mile. But the snowtubing area was stockpiled with piles and piles of fresh snow that will last until April or maybe even May. I eagerly dressed into my snowtubing attire, complete with wireless bluetooth speaker to annoy all galactic tubers, and GoPro Hero+ (with retention strap) to record every precious moment, and hit the mountain.

The magic carpet ride was exhilarating and much better than sitting on a dumb old ski lift. The snowtubing lanes were groomed to perfection with fresh corduroy. I got to experience decent First tracks, but the crowds ruined all the fresh powder by the third run.

The line moved pretty quickly at first, but from the lofty height of the snowtubing hill, I could see the Jersey plated vehicles pouring into the parking lot. Many guidos were weary from early morning Black Friday shopping at the Outlets, but their kids were still full of energy and thoroughly excited for the galactic tubing adventures to come.

By run 4, the mind numbing boredom was quickly setting in. My max speed had decreased from 15.7 mph to a paltry 15.6 mph. These speeds were downright pitiful after hitting an exhilarating 44.0 mph on Lower Main Street earlier. With each tubing run, however, the lanes became slower, and the Jersey accents were giving me a migraine. After one final, long, excruciatingly boring wait in line, I hit run 5 at 15.5 mph and decided to call it a day.

Overall, galactic snowtubing was a let down after a great day of skiing at Blue Mountain. Even more disappointment set in as I realized that I'll have to wait until next Friday to try galactic snowtubing again, since season passholders are prohibited from galactic snowtubing on Saturdays or Sundays. Having spent my entire allowance on the Camelback Season Pass, and my remaining $29 on Blue, I am now out of money and will be stuck at home all weekend long while all other PASRs are enjoying skiing a genuine black diamond at Blue. While these great folks offered me their buddy passes, I will wait until more trails are open at Blue so I can experience the whole mountain in its entirety and make the tough decision in February of whether I want to finally ditch Camelback (the answer is yes).

Salty did you see that the topic Rejeev post in was shut down??

On 11/29/2018 at 9:59 AM, saltyant said:

The first time I skied the Barney Bumps must have been an incredible sight. 2 or 3 years ago I got trapped in The Bumps for a few minutes. I dont remember exactly what happened but my skis were in an awkward position and I couldn't get them off. I had fallen in The Bumps. After finally freeing myself I said never again. Now many years later I have dabbled here and there in The Bumps and I can do them poorly, but it's not enjoyable to me and it's a relief to return to nice easy groomed runs. This season I know I'll inevitably return to The Bumps and I'll once again dislike them and leave them to the experts like Indigo.

Some of the mods really hate Rajeev

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1