Opening Day Trip Report - 12/2/2017

saltyant

26 minutes ago, eaf said:

Blue has stopped snowmaking at the moment, but at CB it's still pouring on several webcams. I think it's gonna be a nobrainer this weekend. I very much like seeing fresh snow blown for skiing at CB than snowtubing at BM.

You crack me up..Blue has been open for five days so far with some black diamond terrain. Camelback has been open for two days so far with only a beginner route open. Instead of opening early like Blue Camelback focused on their snowtubing while Blue is just starting to blow snow on their tubing hill and pretty soon Camelback will have to shut their guns off and tonight the guns will be blasting at both mountains.  Have fun at Camelback this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You crack me up..Blue has been open for five days so far with some black diamond terrain. Camelback has been open for two days so far with only a beginner route open. Instead of opening early like Blue Camelback focused on their snowtubing while Blue is just starting to blow snow on their tubing hill and pretty soon Camelback will have to shut their guns off and tonight the guns will be blasting at both mountains.  Have fun at Camelback this weekend. 

The terrain that Blue has opened up will not sustain skiers this weekend.  Even last week by noon the Midway was completely trashed, and this redirected all cautious skiers to the Vista lift producing looong queues. Adventurous kinds still skied down the Midway, but it was a torture. Those boards are completely brainless, I feared not so much for falling as for being knocked down by some crazy kid.

You may say that they're just cautious at Blue and prefer to undercommit than underdeliver, and we'll see more trails available, but I'm not buying it. Nobody forced them to list the number of trails in that FB post. They could've just said that they'll open up for skiing.

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

The terrain that Blue has opened up will not sustain skiers this weekend.  Even last week by noon the Midway was completely trashed, and this redirected all cautious skiers to the Vista lift producing looong queues. Adventurous kinds still skied down the Midway, but it was a torture. Those boards are completely brainless, I feared not so much for falling as for being knocked down by some crazy kid.

You may say that they're just cautious at Blue and prefer to undercommit than underdeliver, and we'll see more trails available, but I'm not buying it. Nobody forced them to list the number of trails in that FB post. They could've just said that they'll open up for skiing.

Camelback had one route open last weekend. They aren't doing any better. I've only been skiing Blue for 25 years I know their capabilities and how quickly they can open terrain.  I think there's a good chance lazy mile opens on Sunday and a good chance for upper Main Street on Saturday. Crowds don't faze me and yes I skied over somebodies tips on midway. 

5 minutes ago, eaf said:

Adventurous kinds still skied down the Midway, but it was a torture. Those boards are completely brainless, I feared not so much for falling as for being knocked down by some crazy kid

Yep, that's why I'm avoiding Blue for now. Sorry but I just don't trust anyone on skis/boards, and am always paranoid someone's going to nail me and I'll end up in a wheelchair. Too many inexperienced people on Midway, too crappy of conditions, too long of lines on Vista, etc.

Once some more terrain opens up soon, I'll come back to Blue and have a fantastic time.

Edited by saltyant

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Camelback had one route open last weekend. They aren't doing any better. I've only been skiing Blue for 25 years I know their capabilities and how quickly they can open terrain.  I think there's a good chance lazy mile opens on Sunday and a good chance for upper Main Street on Saturday. Crowds don't faze me and yes I skied over somebodies tips on midway. 

OK, we'll see if you can predict snow better than crowds on opening days. ;)

If they open up lazy mile or upper main street, I'll definitely come for night skiing to BM. Lazy mile is one of those trails that even in the worst nights shines.

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

OK, we'll see if you can predict snow better than crowds on opening days. ;)

If they open up lazy mile or upper main street, I'll definitely come for night skiing to BM. Lazy mile is one of those trails that even in the worst nights shines.

I've found crowds so far this season at Blue to be light.  Barely any liftlines and luckily they'll have most of the mountain open for Xmas week when the serious crowds descend on PAs best ski area. Remember all skiing up to this point had been bonus skiing and there's no such thing as bad conditions only bad skiers. 

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I've found crowds so far this season at Blue to be light.  Barely any liftlines and luckily they'll have most of the mountain open for Xmas week when the serious crowds descend on PAs best ski area. Remember all skiing up to this point had been bonus skiing and there's no such thing as bad conditions only bad skiers. 

That's because you're done by 11:00 AM!

There were actually lines for the double Sunday, mainly because they didn't want to start up Burma chair.

Edited by indiggio

2 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Of course. Why stick around and be miserable about crowds to just come on here and complain? 

Complain about being out sliding down a mountain on frozen water, never! 
Now if the lift wait times were greater than say 15 minutes, that would be another story.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Of course. Why stick around and be miserable about crowds to just come on here and complain? 

Because not everybody lives around the corner. And even if I did, a mere couple of hours in the morning would just whet my appetite.

45 minutes ago, indiggio said:

That's because you're done by 11:00 AM!

There were actually lines for the double Sunday, mainly because they didn't want to start up Burma chair.

That's BS about not running the Burma chair on a weekend...I'm also guessing some passholders came a little later that day due to the party at 2. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That's BS about not running the Burma chair on a weekend...I'm also guessing some passholders came a little later that day due to the party at 2. 

No, it's true. I was there on Saturday night (4-8), and there was only Main Street chair going up. That has actually been the trend with all mountains this season. Spectacular opening weekend followed up by really lousy skiing next week (bad snow, long lines). First BB, then BM. I'm actually afraid that it's gonna be CB's turn this weekend.

• Like 1