Opening Day Trip Report - 12/2/2017

saltyant

3 hours ago, poconoceancity said:

Still so much better than JFBB in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed CBK for years. When I started snowboarding again after college CBK was my home mountain for three seasons while I was living in north Jersey. It has a good lift and trail layout. I was never that bothered by shorter steep pitch because you can lap the trails easy enough, and its really degrees of hair splitting given the competition in the area in my mind. The snow is a little more consistent than Blue imo. The old terrain park setup was creative, sort of self contained with its own lift and they had that street art program for the park features which made it feel unique. 

But after the hotel opened and I was dodging parents in sneakers with three year olds in tow walking to the mountain coaster, the crowds, the over zealous patrol and parking lot crackdowns I just had enough. To me, at least before Vail took over JF was so much better. Slower pace, no circus and less distractions. The slow lifts never bothered me. My favorite mountains like Platty and Magic are all old slow lifts. They're also laid back quiet places where you just go to ski and maybe tailgate after. That's just my speed and JF was closer to that than CBK.

• Like 1

Good for CB for making it a resort vacation destination. More people want to go there than they do all of the other mountains so that's a net positive for the sport. We are just a small minority that are going after a completely different dynamic. I think it's safe to say that Camelback has not been a ski resort since the early 2000s when Camelbeach really took off. I would say that the moment it switched over from a ski resort to what it is now was when they removed the alpine slide. 

And yes the mountain coaster is weird but Park City and Snowbird have them too and no one really complains. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me it is a toss up between CB and Blue. I'd take Blue weekdays (longer runs) and CB weekends/ holidays (easier to avoid lines). But I mostly ski weekends/holidays. 

I'd place Montage #3 (Northface is best terrain in NEPA and never a line - but a lot further for me, slow lifts and shorter runs - Long Haul gets you a longer run but lift ride is so long and you can't hit the best terrain) 

I'd place JF and Roundtop about tied for #4

Elk is the best in NEPA in terms of terrain and snow - but isn't even a factor as it is as far as Hunter and Belleayre for me. 

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The only time Blue regulars generally come to camelback is when they stay open later than Blue.  I skied with TP4 and Root in spring or 2019 there.  The time before that was 2013 I believe and I did the mountain coaster and @toast21602 had a concussion there in 2010 I believe.  

I'm not a Blue regular but I like camelback because you can do touring laps. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Only be a handful of additional people at opening. Most lolligag in the morning.  If people from Philly and jersey can make it for opening won’t be that much different.  

Memories of weekend 7:30am openings just came flooding back to mind...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

Holy schnikies, $129 for a CB lift ticket tomorrow + $10 minimum for parking! $139 to ski at CB.

Pretty soon CB will be charging the same rates as CO/UT resorts 🤑

20210129_094513.jpg.f4bae5bf0cc6e8a7102f6ab309fe01da.jpg

Frank grimes: this place is a palace!  How can you afford a place like this!?

homer Simpson: idk, don’t ask me how the economy works 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only be a handful of additional people at opening. Most lolligag in the morning.  If people from Philly and jersey can make it for opening won’t be that much different.  

You are probably right, the JF condo people don’t hit the slopes until 10. Since the don’t have to drive home, they will probably party hardy, and sleep in.
  • Like 1