DPS Phantom

JFskiDan

11 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Very true. There is something cathartic about ironing wax across the base of skis while sipping on a good beer or bourbon.

You guys are funny. Not a day on slope w/o beer in the lot, not a ski wax w/o a bourbon. ;) 

The claimed environmental benefits are interesting, fluro and lungs don't go together, the water claims are total fucking horseshit. It's crazy tiny amounts of chemicals compared to say trucking or smelting.

Dominator says

"We can calculate that the amount of fluoro left on the mountain after ten million
skier/snowboarder visits will be, at most, 38 pounds.* To put this number into perspective, 38
pounds of fluoro, in the form of discarded microwave popcorn bags, are thrown into trash bins
around America every 15 minutes.** Clearly, the environmental impact of the fluoro in snow
waxes is miniscule and, in comparison with the very real hazards endangering our planet from
other sources, it is insignificant

I wonder what it is, probably some kind of ceramic automotive coating, they in no way developed some kind of wonder chemical on their own. Surfactants are a big deal though so lots of them have been developed so maybe they found something nobody else was thinking about but I don't think this is a surfactant. The idea though that it continues to work even after a grind seems conceptually difficult.

My guess is it would have to be some kind of uv reactant material that is hardening the bases by sealing the pores in UHMWPE, it could permeate the pores in sintered bases maybe via the capillary effect.

Well, aside from the dangers of this being a kickstarter project (and I've seen some crazy stuff on kickstarter like a laser shaver), I don't think it's going to be "set it and forget it" kind of a tune. They admit it themselves that a periodic base grind will be needed to "to establish an appropriate structure for specific snow conditions and temperatures while removing “hair” from abraded bases". Sounds like periodic waxing is going to be replaced with a periodic base grind.

EDIT: Apparently it's this patent - http://google.com/patents/WO2016042323A1?cl=en

It's 3-aminopropyltriethoxysilane and according to the patent works like this

"As before, this is achieved because the composition permeates the ski and bonds to the surfaces of individual grains within the base layer, coating the outer surface of each grain (even where the grain is located away from the external ski surface). This prevents water from associating with any portion of the ski surface even when damaged, whereas a thin film of water would preferentially associate with non-superhydrophobic portions and contribute to significant performance loss through increased drag and friction. The chemical component may include at least one polymer having functional groups. Preferably, each polymer may have at least one repeating unit. More preferably, the functional groups may include functionalised silicon. "

You can buy it from China if you wish - http://www.lookchem.com/product_Supply-high-quality-low-price-Poly-3--2-aminoethyl-amino-propyl-methyl-dimethyl-siloxane-hydroxyl-terminated-Purity-99-/15229579.html

I'd say it probably work pretty ok, you may have to grind/brush/scotchbrite it more but the science seems legit. Will not replace like real actual waxing and shit and it will be interesting to see what happens in the real world but how many boards and skis are out there with no maintenance, this is probably better then that.

• Like 3

See what happens with it.  If i sent my skis for a grind/edge/wax, and they told me $60, or grind/edge/3-aminopropyltriethoxysilane, and that would keep my shit waxed all season, for $100 i would be all in.  I dont terribly mind waxing my skis, but i could definitely find something else to do with my ski wax time.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...