Valdez AK 160"

Burton0688

I'm not sure if anyone is following the storm that is going on in AK right now, but it's incredible. Since Saturday a few sections have received 160" in the mountains with another 40+ on the way. Yes I realize it's AK where final snow totals for the year can reach 1200", but 200" in a week? Yikes! Fun to follow when you're stressing over the high pressure and no snow over 85% of the west coast for the next 12 days! Common Utah snow more! MORE!!!! 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Burton0688 said:

I'm not sure if anyone is following the storm that is going on in AK right now, but it's incredible. Since Saturday a few sections have received 160" in the mountains with another 40+ on the way. Yes I realize it's AK where final snow totals for the year can reach 1200", but 200" in a week? Yikes! Fun to follow when you're stressing over the high pressure and no snow over 85% of the west coast for the next 12 days! Common Utah snow more! MORE!!!! 

When are you heading to Utah?  When I lived in Bozeman MT in 2003 it snowed 105" in 5 days. That's too much of a good thing. 

6 minutes ago, Burton0688 said:

When are you heading to Utah?  When I lived in Bozeman MT in 2003 it snowed 105" in 5 days. That's too much of a good thing. 

I was actually texting with my friend who lives in Anchorage AK and he said that there was a good snowpack in the city but it got warm and rainy and a lot of it melted but the mountains are doing well. I'll have to check out the report for Alyeska

I was suppose to do an extended weekend trip to Utah next week, but canceled it tonight. Why bother when Snowbird only has 5 trails open, and Snowbasin is opening I believe tomorrow. I have another trip the last week of Jan to Utah. 

That's sweet that you lived in Montana. I feel like Big Sky is one of those places where you need to go with a local or someone that really knows the mountain unless it's all time conditions. When I was there we thought the one day the conditions were okay, then saw pictures from a local at a bar and it looked like a different mountain. 

19 minutes ago, Burton0688 said:

I was suppose to do an extended weekend trip to Utah next week, but canceled it tonight. Why bother when Snowbird only has 5 trails open, and Snowbasin is opening I believe tomorrow. I have another trip the last week of Jan to Utah. 

That's sweet that you lived in Montana. I feel like Big Sky is one of those places where you need to go with a local or someone that really knows the mountain unless it's all time conditions. When I was there we thought the one day the conditions were okay, then saw pictures from a local at a bar and it looked like a different mountain. 

I never skied with a local at big sky.  I just explored had many epic pow days there but the majority of my skiing was at Bridger bowl. I also hit up red lodge after a 30" storm. 

Burton if I was you I'd just take an extra trip out west in the spring to make up for missing this trip.  Most years this is way too early for a trip out west.  Heck unless there's an xmas miracle most of the western resorts will be pretty fucked over the holidays.  High pressure over the entire western US for at least the next ten days.