12/9/17...busy..snowing..rad

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Lol. Both options are equally bad, and I'm not sure which one's worse. I'm done for the week unless some mid-week skiing opens either at Blue, Bear Creek, or Spring Mountain.
After 6 runs at Blue I complained and got a full refund, a $39 gift card. I'd rather not ski at all than stand in line for 15-20 minutes, and then ride a 6-8 minute lift. No thanks. I'll stay home the rest of the day and wait until the real skiing begins next weekend.
The management of the lines at the Main Street and Burma chairs was a complete joke. At one point, 1/4 to 1/3 of the chairs were empty despite 100-200 people in line. The RFID reader bogged it down, and the lift attendants put absolutely no effort into managing the line, such as pairing singles and queuing people up at BOTH lifts after passing through the RFID reader. After I quit for the day, someone mentioned that they started doing more traffic management, probably due to my complaint.
Whatever though. I had a decent time during the few minutes I actually spent skiing, and tailgated afterwards with the PASR crew. The snow was pretty decent, though Upper Main Street was horrible - the first third was nothing but death cookies. Lazy Mile was a very nice run until the left turn, and even then it wasn't too bad. I even had a good time on Midway, which was far better than it was on opening day, and not too crowded.

Hold on. You complained over long lines? And they gave you a gift card for it?? WTF
  • Haha 1

Midway and Lazy Mile were excellent. Had fun hearing a story from Root. Good day.
FB posts say lines got up to 45 minutes by 2 pm so glad I bugged out. I'm satisfied Blue refunded me and will be a returning customer because of it.
But if you had a good day what was your justification for giving you a refund?
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, saltyant said:

Why dont the lift attendants get people through the rfid readers and queue them up for both chairs ahead of time? The terrain is great but I'm just baffled at how the line is stagnating with so many empty chairs on both lifts.

Yes, Blue really took a shit on the entire lift debacle at the doubles yesterday.

How could they run a mountain for so many years and not know that they need to open both ticket gates at the doubles, especially after having a snowstorm on Saturday and knowing full well that that's gonna bring out the crowds on Sunday?   All they needed to do was blow a bit more snow and groom the existing snow to open up the run under the doubles to the Burma side and lines would have been far more manageable.   When Dave was down checking out the debacle, a few told him to get the groomer our to try to open up the run.  His only response was that "They didn't have anyone to run a groomer".  Well, if you're "professional" ski mountain managers, why didn't you already have this situation taken into account and handled already?  Blue's operations management sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:
12 hours ago, saltyant said:
Midway and Lazy Mile were excellent. Had fun hearing a story from Root. Good day.
FB posts say lines got up to 45 minutes by 2 pm so glad I bugged out. I'm satisfied Blue refunded me and will be a returning customer because of it.

Had a good day with PASRs and the very few runs I did hit. Im not standing in 20 minute lift lines no matter how good the snow is or how incapacitated that makes me.

7 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Hold on. You complained over long lines? And they gave you a gift card for it?? WTF

I complained because of all the empty lift chairs which is asinine when you have 200 people in line. Blue apologized on their FB and admitted they goofed. indiggio explained it perfectly. The lifts could have been running near full capacity if Blue planned better. Glad I left when I did because it literally got 4 times worse by 2 pm - I knew the crowds sure as hell werent going to get any smaller by afternoon.

Edited by saltyant

6 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:
11 hours ago, saltyant said:

Thats what i cant wrap my head around either.  I'm just gonna leave it at that.  

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

Yes, Blue really took a shit on the entire lift debacle at the doubles yesterday.

How could they run a mountain for so many years and not know that they need to open both ticket gates at the doubles, especially after having a snowstorm on Saturday and knowing full well that that's gonna bring out the crowds on Sunday?   All they needed to do was blow a bit more snow and groom the existing snow to open up the run under the doubles to the Burma side and lines would have been far more manageable.   When Dave was down checking out the debacle, a few told him to get the groomer our to try to open up the run.  His only response was that "They didn't have anyone to run a groomer".  Well, if you're "professional" ski mountain managers, why didn't you already have this situation taken into account and handled already?  Blue's operations management sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.

I doubt that they will let that happen again.  They did screw the pooch on that one there.  I know everybody here knew it was gonna be a lift line shit show with opening upper main, lazy, and the "snow in the backyard crowd".  I didnt like standing in line for our last two runs, and it turns out that would be considered a short wait.  I went to the parking lot.  Sure would like to have skied more, but, again....its December 10th.  Limited Terrain.  Next weekend will be different.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

I doubt that they will let that happen again.  They did screw the pooch on that one there.

Don't put it past Blue to pull more blunders during the season...

I think they had already blundered again by not taking full advantage of the inversion last week to blow as much in the valley as they could.  Since the temps were low enough to make snow, why not blow on Home Stretch and the lower park so that they're ready to open the valley ASAP?  Once the cold front passed, all they would have had to do was to blow enough on Tut's for a WROD and they would have been gold.

It still just boggles the mind that they've been doing this for so many years and they still can't get it right.  It's like every year they have to learn it all over again.

Edited by indiggio

14 minutes ago, indiggio said:

It still just boggles the mind that they've been doing this for so many years and they still can't get it right.  It's like every year they have to learn it all over again.

I think they have been doing this for 40 years, but I have no proof. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

I can't wait to be home in the Valley next weekend.  Then the season really begins.

Yup can finally get mad steezy vert and not have a zillion randoms parked amongst us.  I did get a kick watching the snowboarders boot up next to nastar Glenn's vehicle.  Took them a solid 45 minutes before they were even putting their boots on. They had some concoction of vodka, schnapps and juice that was warm as fuck that mad edge ended up getting but then I gave them both beers.  

I'll also miss seeing Indiggio boot up..he blows hot air on his hands about 50 times..I sort of want to buy him a pair of spring gloves but I shouldn't talk, my ski pants now have a hole in them lol

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, enjoralas said:

It's pretty ridiculous to get angry about 15 minute lifelines on December 10th in the Poconos. Any mountain with any open terrain worth skiing would have the same lines. Camelback doesn't have any lines because they don't have anything open to draw in skiers.

And anyone who thinks that skiing that shit Camelback had the nerve to open with is better than hitting the terrain Blue has open just because you can ski onto the lift vs waiting in a 15 minute line is operating with a diminished mental capacity and I seriously wonder how they could get through their everyday life.

9 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

9 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:
15 hours ago, saltyant said:

2 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Thats what i cant wrap my head around either.  I'm just gonna leave it at that.  

I doubt that they will let that happen again.  They did screw the pooch on that one there.  I know everybody here knew it was gonna be a lift line shit show with opening upper main, lazy, and the "snow in the backyard crowd".  I didnt like standing in line for our last two runs, and it turns out that would be considered a short wait.  I went to the parking lot.  Sure would like to have skied more, but, again....its December 10th.  Limited Terrain.  Next weekend will be different.  

you guys are miserable people lol.  props to salty ant for making a boss move and skiiing for free.  the lift line situation yesterday was a debacle and if you were there you would have known that.  lol at you guys defending 1 hour lift lines when 1/4 of the chairs were still going up empty

Edited by theprogram4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The BMR racers at Blue always had a sense of entitlement. Blame the parents..the BMR parents always drive like a bat out of hell on the way to the mountain...the one guy was tailgating me..sorry Charlie I was trying to pack a bowl not gonna drive any faster..gosh

It's not only the parents, the coaches NEVER say anything to the kids to stop them from doing it or teaching them any etiquette

They're also the worst offenders for taking over all the tables in the lodge, leaving all their paraphernalia lying around and bring in outside food.