12/9/17...busy..snowing..rad

GrilledSteezeSandwich

20 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

cant do anything but salute blue for their effort so far.  as much as i like to moan and bitch, all in all they run a pretty good ship.  they've been on top of their game this year.  should pay off for them with a busy Christmas week.

That is why they are the best mountain in PA and NJ.

• Like 2
  • Boner City 1

1 minute ago, indiggio said:

It's really not the snowmakers or groomers fault, it's management/owners fault.

I think it's dumb that Blue was charging full price today...I really think they'd make more revenue selling tickets at $39 a piece vs $52 that they were charging.  It's only a $13 difference but psychologically it seems more. 

People on their FB page were complaining about the price and they said that they always go to full price when lazy mile opens. Just because it's the way it's always been doesn't make it right and they made it seem like they were doing people a big favor only charging $39 on shitshow Sunday. 

I still think they'd do better volume if they'd keep ticket prices lower.  High ticket prices are going to dissuade people from coming out right off the bat.  A lower ticket price will get more people to come out and thus make more money on concessions.  They've been selling IPA bottles for $2 for a while now and probably are making money off them.  Even season pass holders are buying them!

2 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I still think they'd do better volume if they'd keep ticket prices lower.  High ticket prices are going to dissuade people from coming out right off the bat.  A lower ticket price will get more people to come out and thus make more money on concessions.  They've been selling IPA bottles for $2 for a while now and probably are making money off them.  Even season pass holders are buying them!

It's lemonade stand economics.  It's so simple.  I truly think they would have sold at least 50% more tickets today at $39 vs $52 and since skiing is a service and there aren't any additional marginal costs for more skiers and riders coming the goal is to pack in more people. Each extra person could potentially have to rent, need a lesson, buy food or maybe buy something they forgot like gloves or a face mask.  

Back to the numbers if Blue sold 100 tickets during the daytime today at $52 each I'd be surprised and that's $5200 in revenue. If they charged $39 a ticket and even sold 150 tickets that's $5850 and im being very conservative with my figures I think the difference between $52 and $39 is just so psychologically huge. $39 is a great early season price point. Over $50 seems expensive especially with just the loser lifts running. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, indiggio said:

The PA liquor control board does not allow bars to sell any alcohol below cost so they can sell domestic drafts for $1 but can't sell Guinness draft for $1 as a bars cost is about $1.50ish per pint on Guinness. Selling $2 IPAs is smart..some people will end up ordering more expensive mixed drinks or shots or food...

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 12/10/2017 at 1:16 PM, saltyant said:

Lol. Both options are equally bad, and I'm not sure which one's worse. I'm done for the week unless some mid-week skiing opens either at Blue, Bear Creek, or Spring Mountain.

After 6 runs at Blue I complained and got a full refund, a $39 gift card. I'd rather not ski at all than stand in line for 15-20 minutes, and then ride a 6-8 minute lift. No thanks. I'll stay home the rest of the day and wait until the real skiing begins next weekend.

The management of the lines at the Main Street and Burma chairs was a complete joke. At one point, 1/4 to 1/3 of the chairs were empty despite 100-200 people in line. The RFID reader bogged it down, and the lift attendants put absolutely no effort into managing the line, such as pairing singles and queuing people up at BOTH lifts after passing through the RFID reader. After I quit for the day, someone mentioned that they started doing more traffic management, probably due to my complaint.

Whatever though. I had a decent time during the few minutes I actually spent skiing, and tailgated afterwards with the PASR crew. The snow was pretty decent, though Upper Main Street was horrible - the first third was nothing but death cookies. Lazy Mile was a very nice run until the left turn, and even then it wasn't too bad. I even had a good time on Midway, which was far better than it was on opening day, and not too crowded.

@GrilledSteezeSandwich WJW, remember that time Blue Mountain ran their slow lifts at 66% capacity due to inefficient and lazy crowd management, while thousands of people waited in line? I got a $39 gift card refund. I can't imagine paying $165 to deal with way worse as was at today's Powder Day. Today and the 2017 gift card debacle are my two most memorable worst days at KSL Resorts ski hill stations.

Edited by saltyant

45 minutes ago, saltyant said:

@GrilledSteezeSandwich WJW, remember that time Blue Mountain ran their slow lifts at 66% capacity due to inefficient and lazy crowd management, while thousands of people waited in line? I got a $39 gift card refund. I can't imagine paying $165 to deal with way worse as was at today's Powder Day. Today and the 2017 gift card debacle are my two most memorable worst days at KSL Resorts ski hill stations.

Today wasn’t a powder

day. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Blue Mountains Instagram post says "Pow Day" so that means it was a Powder Day.

That wasn't referring to conditions, it was onomatopoeia to describe the kick in the teeth everyone was in for with lift operations.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1