12/10/17..best snow..biggest crowds of the year..

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I'm back from a fun Sunday morning session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I arrived at the upper lot around 7:25am and in the house were Toast, AtomicJeff, JFBB Dan, TP4, Guitar, SaltyAnt, Matt Edge, Root, Indiggio, MBike Mike, Mrs. Snowbunski, Nastar Glenn and many many many many more. 

Yesterdays predicted 1-3" turned out to be 6+ inches of snow across the region which brought out all the Tom Dick and Harry's.  Conditions were very nice right out the gate and the only true hardpack was upper Main Street which debuted for the season today. Easy out, vista, come around, midway and Main Street were all nice midwinter conditions..the top of lazy mile was great bottom a little bit narrow still good just have to be careful passing people.  

Liftlines went from zero to 100 real quick. Most waits were like 5-12 minutes after about 8:45am was impossible to keep both lifts at full capacity with just two scanners but I had some nice runs am not complaining but I know people who got there after like 930-10 were only getting about 2.5 runs an hour which is rare but happens with a early snowfall with limited capacity

I quit around 10am and even did the vista once for stoke and got some untracked..fun parking lot session and good people watching today..temperatures began around 20 and rose through the 20s into the low 30s with moderate wins and partly sunny sky's.  6-pack and lower lodge and lot along with tubing will be on tap for next weekend along with 7 days a week operation..high five for stoke pass it down. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 2

i had a late start to the day, so we go on snow just after 9 am.  watched as jfbbskidan, gss, atomicskier, et al. blazing past. atomicjeff was kind enough to give me the heads up on the lift line status. the skiing was awesome today and lazy was in fine shape for its season debut.  even the fresh natural stuff on the sides was nice to play in for a few turns. those death-marbles on upper main street needed working on by the groomers, again. the racer kids were out in full force, making us all depressed by how they kill it down the slopes. the lift lines were brutal...but before long staffers were handing out warm chocolate chip cookies and lip balm. why lip balm, i dunno.....doesn't go well with cookies, imho. we called it a day at noon, after 20-25 minute lift lines was reached. good times had by all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How long did you ski till??  I like how you never post after skiing but always at 5am the next day. Gives me something to read when I wake up. 

Eh, we gave up around 1pm or so.  Snow on Lazy was excellent, but lines were beyond the end of the SP shack and probably a good 12-14 people wide at that point and still empty chairs were going up.  Hung out in the parking lot till around 3pm.

End up catching up on shit around the house when I get home from skiing.

Wow - you guys got 6"?  That's great - thought this was more of a coastal storm.  

Bummer about the lift lines, but next weekend should be better if they open the valley.  We might break our 'no blue for 20 months' streak and head there next sunday...unless the catskills get snow this week i suppose.  

23 minutes ago, tnt said:

Wow - you guys got 6"?  That's great - thought this was more of a coastal storm.  

Bummer about the lift lines, but next weekend should be better if they open the valley.  We might break our 'no blue for 20 months' streak and head there next sunday...unless the catskills get snow this week i suppose.  

The storm was an overperformer for the Lehigh valley and poconos. We got 6-8" of fluffy snow.  It's already compacted to 2-3" and will mostly be melted by tonight although we could see another inch or two overnight.  The new snow made for the best conditions of the year on come around, easy out, vista, midway and lower Main Street.  Lazy mile had very pleasant conditions for opening day and upper Main was solid bulletproof frozen cord. 

Wow TNT you didn't ski Blue last season?  That's sad. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The storm was an overperformer for the Lehigh valley and poconos. We got 6-8" of fluffy snow.  It's already compacted to 2-3" and will mostly be melted by tonight although we could see another inch or two overnight.  The new snow made for the best conditions of the year on come around, easy out, vista, midway and lower Main Street.  Lazy mile had very pleasant conditions for opening day and upper Main was solid bulletproof frozen cord. 

Wow TNT you didn't ski Blue last season?  That's sad. 

Yeah, it was weird - did 7 or 8 day trips with my daughters and all of them were to the catskills except one to Elk.  Started at Hunter on black friday - my first time there - and realized the drive was manageable.  Did hunter 3 times before X-mas, including a powder day, then was told the crowds just get worse and worse after new years, so we switched to Belleayre and Plattekill for a day.  Last year they just kept getting snow, which made it worth it.  Tree skiing at Belleayre is pretty damn solid if there is snow, same with Plattekill, though our day there was kind of a bust.  But it was odd not to spend a day at Blue or Jack Frost....not sure the conditions will warrant the extra drive next weekend, so most likely will end the streak.  Seems to me the only person I've met IRL here is Moe Ghoul when I bought a case of beer from him.  Maybe I'll end that streak as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

This is likely. Probably only NMDW, Razors, Sidewinder, and Switchback left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There'll get chute, x-ing and widowmaker open fast. 

Yesterday matt edge said they should open the new trail this year as a natural snow only trail..my response was Ok lol

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, it was weird - did 7 or 8 day trips with my daughters and all of them were to the catskills except one to Elk.  Started at Hunter on black friday - my first time there - and realized the drive was manageable.  Did hunter 3 times before X-mas, including a powder day, then was told the crowds just get worse and worse after new years, so we switched to Belleayre and Plattekill for a day.  Last year they just kept getting snow, which made it worth it.  Tree skiing at Belleayre is pretty damn solid if there is snow, same with Plattekill, though our day there was kind of a bust.  But it was odd not to spend a day at Blue or Jack Frost....not sure the conditions will warrant the extra drive next weekend, so most likely will end the streak.  Seems to me the only person I've met IRL here is Moe Ghoul when I bought a case of beer from him.  Maybe I'll end that streak as well.

We'll be at Blue Sunday..do you arrive early or are you like most jersey people??