Pick me a ski

Shadows

I'm excellent at picking a 100% park ski. The best. No one has picked a park ski better than me. 

But I don't want a 100% park ski so I don't know where to start. Skies that are traditionally mounted are boring cause you dont charge that hard at blue and I don't travel really. So still pretty center mounted. Has to be a full/half twin

What ski?

Edited by Shadows

5 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Mantras

Explain why. The reviewers generally say that it's a ski that does awesome on deep powder, AND as a bonus it's also good on groomers. So people kind of emphasize that the main reason why the ski was made is the powder. Everything else is something that the ski just also happens to do good.

Hence, why buy skis, which were not specifically made for local snow?

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

Explain why. The reviewers generally say that it's a ski that does awesome on deep powder, AND as a bonus it's also good on groomers. So people kind of emphasize that the main reason why the ski was made is the powder. Everything else is something that the ski just also happens to do good.

Mantras are not powder skis. They are stiff and turny

• Like 1

Just now, eaf said:

mantras are the only skis i know, thus what i always recommend

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, eaf said:

They're positioned as freeride skis by Volkl. That's again something that's not happening very often here.

They're an all mountain ski...it was the origional one ski quiver.  Powder skis they ain't. They're heavy skis..anyway mantras aren't what shadows is looking for. 

7 minutes ago, eaf said:

They're positioned as freeride skis by Volkl. That's again something that's not happening very often here.

Traditional groomer skis aren't especially great for everyday at Blue mountain as there are many days with variable conditions and lots of spring conditions throughout the season. 

5 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I have a pair of Line Tigersnakes that are twin-tip, all-mountain that I mounted back from center that I bring out when I want to ski the bumps (88 underfoot) and/or ski the spine.

Depending on where you mount the bindings, you can use them all mountain or park.

Indigigio what skis are you usually on?? For some reason I thought you had a pair of mogul skis 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Indigigio what skis are you usually on?? For some reason I thought you had a pair of mogul skis 

My agent orange beaters are Line Chronics.  

I do have a pair of Hart mogul skis, but I don't like skiing marbles or sugar piles in them, as they're only like 67 underfoot.  They're like skiing on ice skates.

I picked up the Tigersnakes over last summer on a cheapo Evo sale.  I wanted something with rocker to try out, as I tried a pair of ON3P's in the bumps the other year and liked them, but they were too wide.

Edited by indiggio

Don't listen to anyone here, not even me. All they do is yell out some ski they had they thought was dope and even half decent skiers could get a fucking 2x4 down the hill.

What do you like about your current skis ? What do you not like about your current skis ?

What radius do you prefer ? What do you want to do with these skis ?

Do you want a ski you have to drive all the fucking time or something more playful ?

There is an enormous amount of bullshit out there about skis and at least in my mind it only really comes down to three things, radius, stiffness throughout the ski and shape/dimensions.

I have skis across the radius, from 11 sl skis to 35+ big mtn ak skis and I've used them all at Blue for certain things. 203 shiros were redic redic when it went to random ass piles at say lower main st, they simply did not care but they also didn't really carve until I got them moving because my ass doesn't weigh enough or ski well enough for that kind of radius. SL skis are super dope but your going to make 100000  turns and be out of gas about half way down most runs. Skis that do everything tend to do everything ok but nothing amazing.

Find out what radius your looking for and think about do I want one ski for everywhere I go or a quiver. Identify well made skis that fit your criteria and then go from there. Waist dimension is not nearly as important as people think, unless your racing or carve like AS it ain't going to mean shit.  Do not listen to buy ski X that shit is worthless.

I don't know that much about your skiing and what your after but I'd guess one ski quiver, my recommendation would be something like a Moment PB&J, ON3P Wren 98 or Kartel 98 if you want more jibby but again the specific ski is irrelevant until you know the criteria.

Ride a bunch of people's skis or demo if you can try all kinds of shit even shit you don't think you'd like and identify the physical criteria your looking for and then ask lots of people about say a mid 20's radius, even flex, stiff, 100mm waist ski that can handle bigish dumps while being able to hack super firm hardpack in PA. Justo or Toast may have a totally differnt idea about what that ski is then say me or doug or whatever and that's cool because we all ski differently.

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, indiggio said:

My agent orange beaters are Line Chronics.  

I do have a pair of Hart mogul skis, but I don't like skiing marbles or sugar piles in them, as they're only like 67 underfoot.  They're like skiing on ice skates.

I picked up the Tigersnakes over last summer on a cheapo Evo sale.  I wanted something with rocker to try out, as I tried a pair of ON3P's in the bumps the other year and liked them, but they were too wide.

It's crazy that slim and some of those guys are always on mogul skis. 

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It's crazy that slim and some of those guys are always on mogul skis. 

Yeah, they love them, but most will go to fatter skis when the marbles are out.

There's no such thing as a one-ski quiver, especially at Blue where you get changing conditions on an hourly basis.  Since skiing is one of my guilty pleasures, I can afford to buy a few sets of skis for particular conditions and since Blue is so small, I can swap them out when the spirit moves me.

Edited by indiggio

Are you in a 27.5 boot? Whats your current BSL? I have a bunch of shit you can ski if you fit, but I have pivots on everything so it all comes down to your BSL. 

Jump on Evo.com and sort through their selection, lots of good stuff in the $300-500 range and its easy to cross stuff off the list. 

Tarpon's setup i got is a 316 boot. Not sure what ill end up gettin fit into but pretty sure thats what i was in all along anyway. 27.5

Evo is where i first went. All the other shops seem to kinda suck now. Annoying to navigate. 

So far im looking at

90-100 waist, pretty even shovel/tail width, full twin, something more center mount oriented but not symmetrical, yet still short enough radius to not be a straighline ski

Edited by Shadows

47 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Since skiing is one of my guilty pleasures, I can afford to buy a few sets of skis for particular conditions and since Blue is so small, I can swap them out when the spirit moves me.

But yet you ski the same beat ass skis every day.  Maybe spring for a new pair of daily drivers?

• Haha 1