Pick me a ski

Shadows

2 hours ago, eaf said:

Exactly, that's how they've been initially introduced: to float better in powder. Nowadays with most skis having at least 15% of rocker people manage to find benefits of rocker even on hard snow. Usually they would list arguments like: "it shortens the effective edge thereby making the ski more playful and easier to turn". Even for carving on hard snow many discover pluses like: "the ski is already bent up, so all that's needed to make it carve is to angle the ankles a little bit, and it starts turning by itself". It's hard to separate marketing BS from the true benefits.

Before reading some strong opinions here I wasn't even looking at fat and rockered skis. Now I'm anxious to hit big mountains in Jan and demo day in Feb to sort it out for myself in person.

Rocker in groomer skis is all marketing horseshit, of course they will initiate the turn easier the effective length on some of these skis is like 165 but if I'm buying the skiing equivalent of a gun surfboard, something long and stiff that wants to go go go and be driven all the time like say a MX98, the older Bsquad, OG LP's, Mantras or the m103 that's the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

That said reverse camber fucking murders pow, can you ski 2ft of diamond dust on 63mm waisted sl skis ? Sure but it's exponentially easier and more fun on some monster boards with lots of reverse camber. Positive camber, particularly in a twin tip introduces negative pressure above the tails and sinks the tips.  True reverse reverse skis like the dps spoon fucking murder pow, it's point them and go, it's how you ski pow in your head, zero work all fun, schmear turns, the sort of power slide are super easy and fun. The downside is you literally can't physically carve them, if you get them on edge your legs go apart which is pretty cool plus on any kind of approach that requires side stepping or something the lack of edge underfoot blows.

Most people aren't going to have a quiver full of skis with a dedicated traditional cambered ski for hard snow and some reverse reverse monsters for pow so you make a hybrid. Positive camber or at least flat under foot with traditional shape, big floppy tips and tails and you can semi-legit sell somebody a one ski does everything and not be lying. DPS RPC, Super 7/Squad 7, etc etc etc they can carve pretty well on even very hard snow and they can handle 2ft, now it won't ski as well as dedicated skis but most people don't own 15 pairs of skis.

ON3P and Moment have I think the best working versions of hybrids, the death wish works though is an imperfect ski, the Bibby Pro is legend etc etc etc

1 hour ago, Shadows said:

That was my main question... an all around twin tip between 90-100 waist is all rockered. How big of an issue is it at blue?

maybe ill get a thinner ski in order to get a traditional camber? Altthough price again.

It doesn't matter at all but it kind of does, lots of reverse camber shortens the effective length of the ski so if your a 184ish normally 194 is probably a better option. Also it generally narrows the balance point of the ski, so the rossi super 7 has a narrowish balance profile which when combined with a pin tail can give this weirdish feeling from the tails. So if you carving a semi aggressive arc the tails on most skis sort of thrust you out of the turn and provide instant feedback if you in the back seat but skis with lots of rocker tend to let you hang out back there with no real feedback except that they obviously aren't' engaging the front of the ski as well.

How much does this really affect anything once you know and stay centered ? Not really at all and there are big fucking pow skis that don't have that problem like the shiro.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Rocker in groomer skis is all marketing horseshit, of course they will initiate the turn easier the effective length on some of these skis is like 165 but if I'm buying the skiing equivalent of a gun surfboard, something long and stiff that wants to go go go and be driven all the time like say a MX98, the older Bsquad, OG LP's, Mantras or the m103 that's the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

Do I read this correctly? Mantras are fully rockered, aren't they?

17 hours ago, tarponhead said:

You da man! But I’m good, just ordered them (190). emoji847.png I caught two epic powder days in V-tah last year. I want these in my box when I go a chasin!

I'm a moment fan boy so grain of salt but all their skis are awesome, PB&J can do anything, super fun stiffer bacons, bibby pro the playful charger blister loves and my favorite the belafonte, a stiff high speed big arc ski that is super confident at speed but an approachable legit charging ski.

You'll like the bibby pro that's a super ski.

3 hours ago, GSSucks said:

The Tahoe looks like a ripping fun ski, I may be in the market. 

Nordica Enforcer on super roids, uniform stiff flex, the 96 version is one of the straightest skis on the market at plus 25m radius sub 100m waist. At speed its a big arc machine, very fast very big, tougher to skid and pivot so not the best bump ski but flat tail so it's going to put you back up if you get too in the back seat. No metal though and light so any kind of chop, refrozen unevenness your going to feel it but for a hybrid its got racing ski like pedigree on groomers which is most impressive when it can also handle a foot of fresh decently.

42 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

emoji30.pngemoji30.pngemoji30.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got half 27.5 half 28.5 and two pairs of skis where the right binding is 27.5 and the left is 28.5, at some point I'm going to go to step in and the binding is going to be a whole size off. I'll just wingtip it like indiggio lol

• Like 3

Does someone have 27.5 rocker anything i can try? Trying to find a non rockerd twin is proving to be pretty difficult.

although as a purchase update i will say my budget is getting thinner by the day lol so this may be held off for a while.

maybe ill just buy a road bike 

Does someone have 27.5 rocker anything i can try? Trying to find a non rockerd twin is proving to be pretty difficult.
although as a purchase update i will say my budget is getting thinner by the day lol so this may be held off for a while.

Yes, find me on Saturday. A road bike will be way more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

You are welcome to try either of my pairs of skis, both rockered. I should be there Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1