Anyone Worked as Ski Instructor at Blue?

SallyCat

I'm in the process of resigning from my job and need some weekend/shift work  to buy gas and groceries and allow me to go on interviews during the week. 

Minimum wage babysitting is fine as long as I'm outside, on snow, around people. Like I said, it's just gas money and I don't want to sit at home all day. 

Anything I should know before i go for it?

When you are a ski instructor you only get paid for the hours you are teaching so if you are at Blue for 8 hours and teach for only 3 hours you only get paid for those hours.  I also know at a place like Blue most don't tip and based on your ski level you're gonna be mostly teaching first time on skis lessons. Have you bartended before??  That's where the cash $$$$ is

33 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

When you are a ski instructor you only get paid for the hours you are teaching so if you are at Blue for 8 hours and teach for only 3 hours you only get paid for those hours.  I also know at a place like Blue most don't tip and based on your ski level you're gonna be mostly teaching first time on skis lessons. Have you bartended before??  That's where the cash $$$$ is

That is excellent feedback, thanks. Yeah, I should look for another gig if that's the case (only getting paid when you're teaching). Jeebus. No wonder they're always looking for instructors. 

41 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

That is excellent feedback, thanks. Yeah, I should look for another gig if that's the case (only getting paid when you're teaching). Jeebus. No wonder they're always looking for instructors. 

Also it might be a little late in the season to get into being an instructor because I imagine they already had their instructor training clinic.  Being an instructor is hard work, you need on snow training, classroom training, have written tests, I believe you have to pay a nominal fee for the jacket as well.  It's a labor of love some are instructors for the commaraderie or to improve their skiing..also for the free season pass, pro discounts on gear and I believe instructors families get free or very cheap season passes as well.  

37 minutes ago, phillycore said:

Don't ever turn your hobby into a job.....even for fun money....in the end you'd feel better if you were stripping for tips in blues parking lot. Doug's got $5 on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the  best advise you will ever hear about becoming an instructor.......

48 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Undecided, just walking away for the moment.  

Mack Trucks is hiring at their Macungie plant if you wanna do truck assembly. Starts at $19 an hour.  I know someone who makes $75,000 a year with overtime there. The Allentown school district is hiring English as a second language teachers if you are fluent in Spanish. They just got a few hundred new students from Puerto Rico. Red Robin, Boston Market when chic fil A are also hiring. 

I'll pay you $20 an hour to help me with filing..I only need you for one hour..

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

3 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Thanks, everyone! I thought instructing would be a decent way to make a little pocket money,  but I'm not gonna sit around on my own time not making money.  I plan on enjoying the hell out of my freedom while I figure out what's next. 

Weekday skiing is great it's a slippery slope if you quit you don't get unemployment but if you get fired you get unemployment but have to explain to prospective employers why you were let go.  

19 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Lol, apparently since my school is religious I don't qualify for unemployment. It's all good, I've got savings plus I do some college adjunct work. Just thought instructing would be fun for kicks. Then again I could just ski all day. 

You should come with us to Jackson hole.  

• Like 2