12/17 - the place to be

eaf

I don't know for sure whether Blue mountain is a true mountain, and have doubts that Camelback really ran out water so soon in the season, but I'm convinced that JF is a happy mountain, for where else can you find Happyland? ;)

On the serious note, what does a skier need to be happy? Decent snow, empty slopes, comfy lodge, lack of lines, maybe some atmosphere for the right mood... And JF delivers on all fronts! Their snow is always groomed the best, you hardly ever find ice (except perhaps on the eastern part), their crowds are the thinnest even on the peak days, and atmosphere is invariably relaxed, cozy, even on the lifts, which *are* slow. It's just so xmassy to flow among the snow-covered tree-tops, observing a windy river far at the bottom.

To me JF is a unique mountain, almost a boutique. That's partly why I can never settle on a single SP from CB or BM - it will just kill the joy of visiting other places that may be as good as this one. So while some take endless pride in conquering challenges of true terrain and celebrating another mile of verticals with IPA, some die of boredom chained to a hump by a SP, less ambitious and more liberal ones just take it all. Winter, slopes, ambience.

Today was perfect. Lodge 70% empty. Ideal snow. Reasonable temperatures. Lots of trails. Lots of glades. Tons of funs. Even JF racing team was an inspiration to look at while they zigzagged down the Challenge, compared to some other ones, begging for torches as they were cutting lines on the busiest day of the season.

I still have so many JF tickets left from CM, yay!

• Like 1

Eastern side wasn't fully open this time. So Lightning and River Shot only.

Interestingly, they managed to do the same thing that BM did on the opening day. The left lift on the eastern side decided to die all of a sudden. After about 15-20 mins of trying to restart it (and luckily eventually restarting), they've unloaded everybody and switched to the right one.

Frost had a stellar opening for sure.  they opened with a bunch of slopes.  I was a pass holder for many years, loved skiing the glades, elevator, etc.  Lots of stuff off trail when there is a base, and you are correct, the snow is really pretty good there.  My last year there, i felt like the place was falling apart, well maybe not falling apart, but there was a huge lack of maintenance in the glades, and a little while after opening, the glades just werent great without them blowing snow, which they werent.  I spent half a day cleaning tree branches out of the elevator glade, just so it could be skied.  its ridiculously hard to pull branches out of a foot of manmade snow on top of it.  The elevator needed cleaned up again, but i neglected to bring my brush mower, and it was going to be tough to do with snow on it.  The last year i was there, the elevator was pretty much un-skiable.  What really did it for me, was when they started closing challange, telstar, solitude and Floyds.  When they close of all this terrain, the mountain becomes incredibly small.  Skiing sensation, and local weather woman Cecily Tynan got a ride off the mountain on a toboggan on one of these days.  you can pretty much attribute her injury to all traffic having to go down lightning and rivershot.  i was there.  it wasnt a good plan for that day.  Frost can be baller on a pow day, and the trees will be money, but theres not tons of pitch.  Sometimes getting to something that has some pitch can be a problem.  The East Mountain lift has been a problem since long before i was there.  Its the only lift me, and a bunch of other PASR's were told to jump off of.  We had just loaded, and most of us werent that far off the ground.  

I skied there last year over Christmas with my neighbor.  They didnt have quite the good start last year as they did this year, and i was bored pretty quick.  But, snow was good, no crowds....just like you said.  

Dont get me wrong, Blue has its own wonderful set of issues as well.  But they also have longer trails, high speed lifts, and trails that turn.  Parking lot is pretty cool, and there are a bunch of good people that ski there, that keep things entertaining.  But a really good mid-week pow day a Blue?  It can be pretty awesome.  

I skied there last year over Christmas with my neighbor.  They didnt have quite the good start last year as they did this year, and i was bored pretty quick.  But, snow was good, no crowds....just like you said.  

Dont get me wrong, Blue has its own wonderful set of issues as well.  But they also have longer trails, high speed lifts, and trails that turn.  Parking lot is pretty cool, and there are a bunch of good people that ski there, that keep things entertaining.  But a really good mid-week pow day a Blue?  It can be pretty awesome.  

"trails that turn" is a good call. The north / south staircase trails become a bit mundane after a while. Skiing an Elk or a Blue after a while at frost is a whole new world. If the trees, elevator, risk it, mad trees go, so does the beauty of Jackson Frost.