Montage TR 12/16/17 - Terrain Expansion

guitar73

1 minute ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

No crowds. $50 lift ticket but I bought it with a $100 gift card they sold me for $80, so really cost $40. And kids ski free with PA ski passport. Super cheap vaca.

I actually went to the Longhorn steakhouse in the shoppes at Montage with Melissa from PASR several years ago.. 

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What does Camelback have that is better than BM?? Have you ever been to Elk??

Elk has really fun trails, the snow quality is top notch, it's not really crowded, and I enjoy how it's in such a rural backwoods location. The downsides are of course the lifts are slow, and it's expensive as hell. But I'll try to get up there once or twice this season.

7 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Back starting to hurt where I landed on it after being taken out by air boarder

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get out to JF tomorrow. Colliding with a skier or boarder is my biggest fear of skiing, and then we also have to worry about uncontrollable airboards at Montage. They might as well just let people snowtube down the ski slopes too.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get out to JF tomorrow. Colliding with a skier or boarder is my biggest fear of skiing, and then we also have to worry about uncontrollable airboards at Montage. They might as well just let people snowtube down the ski slopes too.

Did you ever play football?  It's like being tackled..if you go faster than everybody else you don't have to worry about anybody hitting you from behind. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

if you go faster than everybody else you don't have to worry about anybody hitting you from behind. 

This is good advice, but sometimes people just sneak up behind me. I heard a rumor that no one passed you at all last season. Is that confirmed true??

11 minutes ago, saltyant said:

This is good advice, but sometimes people just sneak up behind me. I heard a rumor that no one passed you at all last season. Is that confirmed true??

That's false..Atomic Jeff and toast ski faster than me on certain runs and indiggio and Ryan have passed me many times 

• Like 1

Doing a 2nd Montage day, since our hotel was 3 miles away and we woke to see  at least 2" of fresh had landed last night (and is still coming down) on top of the nice surface from yesterday. Bomus that virtually nobody is tracking it up. Long Haul is running and serving the least tracked up run. Conditions are so nice I may take my girls on one of the double blacks (Smoke) today, which would be a first for them. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Doing a 2nd Montage day, since our hotel was 3 miles away and we woke to see  at least 2" of fresh had landed last night (and is still coming down) on top of the nice surface from yesterday. Bomus that virtually nobody is tracking it up. Long Haul is running and serving the least tracked up run. Conditions are so nice I may take my girls on one of the double blacks (Smoke) today, which would be a first for them. 

Enjoy!!!  

On 12/29/2017 at 10:13 PM, AtomicSkier said:

We have a pecking order at Blue.  On NWDM, JohnnyLaw and I go first.  On Switchback, GSS and JohnnyLaw go first.  No passing allowed except when RidgeRacer is out of control and passes dangerously close. :ph34r:

I never knew this!

I always stay at the back of the group I'm with as I know the twin-tips kick up a giant rooster-tail of snow, ice, marbles, etc. which tends to annoy the hell out of people behind me.
However, it does come in handy to keep others from following too closely behind.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 1

So here was my technique for advancing kids on steeps. They started out real tentative, mostly going from one side of the trail to the other and only deacending a little each time.

Then I explained to them that since there was a flat after each steep, once they got part way down the steep they could "let it rip" straight down and slow themselves on the flat. They started on each steep asking me when they could "let it rip" and proceeding down with complete confidence once I told them it was ok.

As the next step, I suggested they use their own judgement as to when it was OK to "let it rip" and they started doing that.

Then I explained they could "let it rip" from higher up on the steep if, instead of just going straight down, they switch their weight from ski to ski while going straight down. So they could make small esses, but not the trail wide traverses they had been doing before. And soon they were doing it on a double black.

Pretty good progress for two 10 year olds on one cold day.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1