Killington 12/16-12/17

Burton0688

So my first stop on the MAX pass this year was Killington & Pico this past weekend. Saturday morning was decent with 1-2" overnight softening everything up, and Sunday was bluebird AND COLD!! I drove up Friday night, slept in my car both nights. Saturday night I was pushing the limits of a 0 down bag with it being -3 out. Have to say if anyone is looking for a good sleeping bag for cold weather I would recommend the Marmot Never Summer bag. Added a blanket around my feet and slept like a baby! 

Decent coverage at Killington for earlier season with 80+ trails open already! 

• Like 3

Yes they started opening up some woods. I saw some people ditching off early Saturday morning. Since I brought a brand new board I tried to stay on everything that had a solid base haha. Anything that was labeled thin layer I stayed off. 

GSS - First night I slept in Rutland and blended in at one of the bigger hotels. Second night I slept in one of back parking lots at Hill Side Inn. 5 minutes from the mountain. Perfect parking lot for that stuff FYI. I knew some people that were staying there and they do take down license plates, but if you go in after 11pm and leave by 7:15 the next morning I don't think anybody will know or say anything. 

11 minutes ago, Burton0688 said:

Yes they started opening up some woods. I saw some people ditching off early Saturday morning. Since I brought a brand new board I tried to stay on everything that had a solid base haha. Anything that was labeled thin layer I stayed off. 

GSS - First night I slept in Rutland and blended in at one of the bigger hotels. Second night I slept in one of back parking lots at Hill Side Inn. 5 minutes from the mountain. Perfect parking lot for that stuff FYI. I knew some people that were staying there and they do take down license plates, but if you go in after 11pm and leave by 7:15 the next morning I don't think anybody will know or say anything. 

What do you do before 11pm??  Just hangout in a bar??  Do you do this simply to save money???

12 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Rams Head or K1

I'm surprised an expert like you would park at Ramshead. Isn't that for n00bs?

Killington was my first real mountain and I absolutely loved it. One of the best weeks of my life. I was amazed that Great Eastern is over 3 miles long and took 11 minutes to get down. It's fun just taking random trails and not knowing where you're going to end up.

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

I'm surprised an expert like you would park at Ramshead. Isn't that for n00bs?

Killington was my first real mountain and I absolutely loved it. One of the best weeks of my life. I was amazed that Great Eastern is over 3 miles long and took 11 minutes to get down. It's fun just taking random trails and not knowing where you're going to end up.

Rams Head offers great lot to lift access, and is easy access to the other lifts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I thought you went to killington once lol. Snowshed is not a good place to park unless you want to take two lifts to get to the top. 

I went 3 days in a row and parked at Snowshed each day. I was a gaper back then and liked to warm up on the easy hills first before venturing out into the vast mountain. Now that I can ski like a boss I will park at either Rams or K1. I think I'll hit Killington one day this year after Stowe.

43 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I went 3 days in a row and parked at Snowshed each day. I was a gaper back then and liked to warm up on the easy hills first before venturing out into the vast mountain. Now that I can ski like a boss I will park at either Rams or K1. I think I'll hit Killington one day this year after Stowe.

Nice Stowe will be a good warmup for you before you go with us to Jackson hole in 2019 and Chamonix in 2020

44 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice Stowe will be a good warmup for you before you go with us to Jackson hole in 2019 and Chamonix in 2020

Do they groom the trails in Jackson Hole? I'm not used to skiing trails that aren't groomed.

44 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty where did you stay in Killington?

Rutland, but one night I stayed at the Mountain Inn nearby because of a snow storm. The Mountain Inn is very affordable at $100 a night or something and was a really nice hotel for the price. The coffee machine in my room wouldn't work, and the staff was kind enough to bring me a functional coffee maker. The only downside was my car got stuck in the parking lot after the snowstorm due to the abysmal stock Hankook tires that came with my car. I upgraded to much better tires afterwards, so now I'll be able to traverse the snow-covered terrain of Vermont with ease.

11 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Do they groom the trails in Jackson Hole? I'm not used to skiing trails that aren't groomed.

Rutland, but one night I stayed at the Mountain Inn nearby because of a snow storm. The Mountain Inn is very affordable at $100 a night or something and was a really nice hotel for the price. The coffee machine in my room wouldn't work, and the staff was kind enough to bring me a functional coffee maker. The only downside was my car got stuck in the parking lot after the snowstorm due to the abysmal stock Hankook tires that came with my car. I upgraded to much better tires afterwards, so now I'll be able to traverse the snow-covered terrain of Vermont with ease.

They groom some of the trails in Jackson hole but you have to get out of your comfort zone and ski some bumps, trees and ungroomed terrain otherwise our guide in Chamonix will banish you to the bunny slope. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How much did it snow in Vermont.  Sounds like you got to ski deep pow pow. 

Just a few inches, but enough to make drive back to Rutland treacherous.

26 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

They groom some of the trails in Jackson hole but you have to get out of your comfort zone and ski some bumps, trees and ungroomed terrain otherwise our guide in Chamonix will banish you to the bunny slope. 

I like being in my comfort zone. It's comfortable. The bunny slope there is probably the equivalent of the most challenging slope at Blue.

10 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Just a few inches, but enough to make drive back to Rutland treacherous.

I like being in my comfort zone. It's comfortable. The bunny slope there is probably the equivalent of the most challenging slope at Blue.

Nah Jackson hole has some beginner terrain on the bottom 400 vertical feet..amphitheater which is their easiest blue is the same steepness as razors edge and about triple as wide.  

5 hours ago, tarponhead said:

Park next to snowdon quad. 100” walk to lift. Does not get easier then that. From snowdon pod can access NRT and get summit access.

Thanks, I think I might do that next time. Nothing sucks more than walking far in ski boots while carrying all that equipment.

13 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

A pair of skis and a pair of poles??  You know they sell ski totes on eBay!!!  Then you won't be this guy.

Thanks! That looks handy. I've been taking my boots in the lodge to change, and I still haven't figured out how to carry skis, poles, and boots at the same time. I think this might solve my problem.

13 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks! That looks handy. I've been taking my boots in the lodge to change, and I still haven't figured out how to carry skis, poles, and boots at the same time. I think this might solve my problem.

If your poles have wrist straps, turn one upside down and put the basket end of each through the opposite pole strap. Slip the strap loops over the tips and tails of the skis respectively. Carry by the poles with the skis hanging in the straps down below.

• Thanks 1