Killington 12/16-12/17

Burton0688

10 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks! That looks handy. I've been taking my boots in the lodge to change, and I still haven't figured out how to carry skis, poles, and boots at the same time. I think this might solve my problem.

Where do you put your shoes when you boot up in the lodge?  You can get a pack for your boots.  

IMG_1976.JPG

27 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Where do you put your shoes when you boot up in the lodge?  You can get a pack for your boots. 

At Blue, I was in a hurry to ski and just threw my cheap pair of shoes under the bench to the right when you walk in the upper lodge. I always have an extra pair of shoes in my car in case someone steals them or throws them out or whatever, so I can drive home. I drive a manual and can't press the clutch with ski boots.

I never got the point of those boot bags. People just leave a $50-$100 bag sitting around in the lodge all day?

28 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I would just have my skis over one shoulder and my poles under my armpit and boots in other hand. Most boots have a little strap/handle at the top of the tongue. 

That's what I try to do, but sometimes the boot straps twist around my fingers and cut off circulation.

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

At Blue, I was in a hurry to ski and just threw my cheap pair of shoes under the bench to the right when you walk in the upper lodge. I always have an extra pair of shoes in my car in case someone steals them or throws them out or whatever, so I can drive home. I drive a manual and can't press the clutch with ski boots.

I never got the point of those boot bags. People just leave a $50-$100 bag sitting around in the lodge all day?

You either get a locker or you put the bag back in your car.  I think people mainly pot up in the lodge because they like to boot up in warmth, not because it's a pain to walk 100 yards in ski boots.  For most skiers walking in ski boots is no big deal..heck some hike in them. 

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You either get a locker or you put the bag back in your car.  I think people mainly pot up in the lodge because they like to boot up in warmth, not because it's a pain to walk 100 yards in ski boots.  For most skiers walking in ski boots is no big deal..heck some hike in them. 

The shop I go to told me to never walk around the parking lot in ski boots because it messes with the binding or something. So I started booting up in the lodge if I have a long walk. Plus I do enjoy booting up a lot more in the warmth.

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

The shop I go to told me to never walk around the parking lot in ski boots because it messes with the binding or something. So I started booting up in the lodge if I have a long walk. Plus I do enjoy booting up a lot more in the warmth.

After 4-5 years your boots might end up losing enough plastic to affect binding performance if you are skiing 50 days a season but by then you'll need new boots anyway.  They sell ski trax to clip into the bottom of your boots if that's a big deal to you. Atomic Jeff has custom boots that were like $1500 so he uses them..

11 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

After 4-5 years your boots might end up losing enough plastic to affect binding performance if you are skiing 50 days a season but by then you'll need new boots anyway.  They sell ski trax to clip into the bottom of your boots if that's a big deal to you. Atomic Jeff has custom boots that were like $1500 so he uses them..

Wanna see how it affects binding performance? 
I'll show you how floppy my beat as bindings and Classic Full Tilts that have had the toe piece practically worn to nothing from walking around in them!

Buy a pair of boots that let you replace the base plates or suck it up and ski with what you got.   It's a poor musician who blames his instrument! 
Unless your Jeff and can drop $1500 on a new pair of boots as often as he buys new BMWs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Cool are you skiing blue tonight..

No. I haven't skied at night for a long time. Mainly because the route I take home is deer central (946, 412, 611). I have had quite a few deer hits over the years, so I am a little paranoid. 

GSS, I've slept in cars for half my life chasing epic journeys from snowboarding to surfing. It is to save money. Sometimes if it's a weekend getaway the first night I drive I sleep in the car and the 2nd night I get a hotel.  It wasn't easiest waking up to -3 and getting into wet frozen gear I'll tell ya that haha. Gotta do it to chase the dream and keep the journey going. 

Probably in two weeks I will be at Blue Mountain. Would definitely be cool to meet up with you guys. 

Driving to Killington tonight! First 2-3 hours tomorrow morning should be awesome!! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Burton0688 said:

GSS, I've slept in cars for half my life chasing epic journeys from snowboarding to surfing. It is to save money. Sometimes if it's a weekend getaway the first night I drive I sleep in the car and the 2nd night I get a hotel.  It wasn't easiest waking up to -3 and getting into wet frozen gear I'll tell ya that haha. Gotta do it to chase the dream and keep the journey going. 

Probably in two weeks I will be at Blue Mountain. Would definitely be cool to meet up with you guys. 

Driving to Killington tonight! First 2-3 hours tomorrow morning should be awesome!! 

Have fun at Killington I'll be driving the other direction to Virginia tomorrow morning..let us know when you're gonna be at Blue mountain. Will definitely be 100% open by then. 

On 12/20/2017 at 7:07 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

After 4-5 years your boots might end up losing enough plastic to affect binding performance if you are skiing 50 days a season but by then you'll need new boots anyway.

How can you tell its time to replace boots? I have no clue. I dont want to wait until the boot breaks off during a black diamond run. Last weekend a guy's boot literally broke off into 3 separate pieces scattered across Marjie's. I was nice and helped him gather all of his broken boot pieces.

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

How can you tell its time to replace boots? I have no clue. I dont want to wait until the boot breaks off during a black diamond run. Last weekend a guy's boot literally broke off into 3 separate pieces scattered across Marjie's. I was nice and helped him gather all of his broken boot pieces.

Probably about 150-200 ski days for boots..when the foam starts breaking apart and the buckles don't work anymore. If they feel packed out and loose. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

So I thought I'd update on the sleeping adventures in the north east. I've now tested the Marmot Never Summer bag at -10. I had to add a blanket over top. I was only wearing a thin long sleeve shirt and pants.  This weekend I'm looking to head up to upstate NY and or possibly ME. I'm switching over to the Marmot CWM as the temps this weekend will be between -20 & -30 at night. The bag has a -40 degree rating with 800+ fill down. This baby packs some serious heat!! 

I can't tell you how awesome Marmot bags are. Great quality and will keep you warm! 

I changed my spark plugs and battery LOL. I have to say it is brutal outside in these temps. GoPro batteries last 1 run before shutting off. I carry 5 batteries and I got a total of 5 runs before all batteries were shot.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Burton0688 said:

So I thought I'd update on the sleeping adventures in the north east. I've now tested the Marmot Never Summer bag at -10. I had to add a blanket over top. I was only wearing a thin long sleeve shirt and pants.  This weekend I'm looking to head up to upstate NY and or possibly ME. I'm switching over to the Marmot CWM as the temps this weekend will be between -20 & -30 at night. The bag has a -40 degree rating with 800+ fill down. This baby packs some serious heat!! 

I can't tell you how awesome Marmot bags are. Great quality and will keep you warm! 

I changed my spark plugs and battery LOL. I have to say it is brutal outside in these temps. GoPro batteries last 1 run before shutting off. I carry 5 batteries and I got a total of 5 runs before all batteries were shot.

You should post some videos.  Way to get after it.  I didn't even wanna drink a beer today after skiing in these temps..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, saltyant said:

I know your pain man. I know your pain.

Right? Haha. I love GoPro, but you figure they would have solved the shutting off after 3 minutes in cold weather. Maybe they fixed it in the Hero 6. I have the Hero 5 black. 

Apple figured it out apparently in the iPhone X. Too over priced for me to get though. Everybody on the mountains up here all the iPhone X's are working in -5 temps.