Ski Selection Thread

saltyant

I am currently using Elan Morpheo4 Early Rise Rockers, entry level with a lot of flex. They work OK for me but I'm looking for a ski that is more stable at high speeds, and that holds an edge better on hard pack and ice.

GSS objectively determined that my skill level is “low intermediate”. In the Poconos, I feel most confident on blue runs, but on some steep black runs I can’t make aggressive turns yet and end up criss-crossing the slope on on my edges. I am 6 foot tall and weigh 165 pounds.

Tomorrow I plan to demo 3 pairs of skis at Camelback. Here are my current options:

• Volkl RTM 81, 84, and 86
  • Atomic Vantage 77 CTI, 83 CTI
  • Volkl Kendos (they did not provide any widths)

My objective is to select 3 skis that would suit me the best, and then narrow it down to one. I'm beginning to better understand the following dimension types: width, length, stiffness, and material (wood vs. metal). Enjorales emphasizes the importance of width and found the Rossignol Experience 88's work well. GSS recommended the Sir Francis Bacon skis. Root recommended that I go to Windham instead because they offer more skis and Windham is bigger and better than CB. Atomic Jeff recommended that I get a ski that is 70-175cm long, 80-90mm width, and 15m radius without any metal. SallyCat suggested the Atomic 90 cti's. Shadows recommended I take our discussion elsewhere.

So in general I'm overwhelmed by all the options, and as you all know I might over analyze things just a little. So if you guys have any further suggestions I'd appreciate it. If I really like a ski tomorrow I might walk out with it, I'll see how the demoing goes.

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Johnny law will give you the correct answer. He's the gear expert on this forum. 

Nice! Is there a way to summon him? I can technically wait to demo until next week but I'm too excited now.

Edited by saltyant

15 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Nice! Is there a way to summon him? I can technically wait to demo until next week but I'm too excited now.

Why would you wait..life is short and who knows what Johnny law is up to.  He could be looking over court documents or out in the middle of Pennsylvania in a drum circle drinking Kombucha..you never know with that guy but I'm sure he'll see this thread. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Why would you wait..life is short and who knows what Johnny law is up to.  He could be looking over court documents or out in the middle of Pennsylvania in a drum circle drinking Kombucha..you never know with that guy but I'm sure he'll see this thread. 

I'll just demo tomorrow and see how it goes. My guess is I will be able to ski just fine on whichever 3 I select, and I'll end up picking the one that looks the coolest.

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

I'll just demo tomorrow and see how it goes. My guess is I will be able to ski just fine on whichever 3 I select, and I'll end up picking the one that looks the coolest.

Wow I don't care what anybody says about you SandyAmy you're alright and very logical. Since I won't be able to ski tomorrow take GoPro footage. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I hope there is video of each ski demo with commentary along the run.

I put lots of work (i.e. 2 minutes) into the video below and I only got one like on YouTube from myself. So I probably won't be making any more GoPro videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exPC6d5C90I&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, I like everything about RTM between these three. Have no idea what conclusions you'll come to tomorrow yourself, but it seems like they should have the best edge grip of the three, and since it just rained, will probably seem the most comfortable tomorrow.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eaf said:

And it's interesting how they say that RTMs have steel layer in it. Not titanal, not an alloy, but steel. Wow.

Volkl RTM 81s have "Wood w/ Metal Laminate". How does that fit in with Atomic's conclusion that I should get a ski without any metal? I assume there should be no metal at all in the ski, but is laminate different??? I am so confused.

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Volkl RTM 81s have "Wood w/ Metal Laminate". How does that fit in with Atomic's conclusion that I should get a ski without any metal? I assume there should be no metal at all in the ski, but is laminate different??? I am so confused.

No, they say it very clearly that it's steel: https://www.voelkl.com/en-us/products/skis/all-mountain/rtm-84. Whereas for Kendos they say it's Titanal.

IDK about Atomic's conclusion. You're already on soft skis with cap construction. What would be the point of getting something similar to that again?

1 minute ago, Shadows said:

there are some decent deals at buckmans. i forget what ski but it was lines' 105 waist with "makes change happen" on it. 279 i think for 186cm. if i needed a second ski that wouldve been it.

Because skis are non-refundable, I want to demo a ski before buying it. I called 4 shops today. 1 doesn't do demos period, and 2 do not demo skis that I'm interested in. So that leaves the demo shops at either Camelback or Blue, or another mountain. So I guess my choices will be limited to those skis, unless I can find a ski comparable to one that I like tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, eaf said:

No, they say it very clearly that it's steel: https://www.voelkl.com/en-us/products/skis/all-mountain/rtm-84. Whereas for Kendos they say it's Titanal.

IDK about Atomic's conclusion. You're already on soft skis with cap construction. What would be the point of getting something similar to that again?

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. I won't know how steel vs. whatever else feels until I try it. If I feel like steel is too advanced for my level then I'll look for something else.

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. I won't know how steel vs. whatever else feels until I try it. If I feel like steel is too advanced for my level then I'll look for something else.

Oh, but are you gonna be testing this year models or last ones? Some things on that page are exclusive to 2018, like the 3D glass.

5 minutes ago, eaf said:

Oh, but are you gonna be testing this year models or last ones? Some things on that page are exclusive to 2018, like the 3D glass.

Oh boy I didn't ask the shop. I hope model years don't make too big of a difference... just another variable to factor in.

9 minutes ago, saltyant said:

That's the interesting part. Titanal has much higher yield strength than steel. And it's lighter. So, I'm really puzzled by why they chose to put a layer of steel in RTM.

I know what it's like to be burning to get new equipment, but it's really too bad you can't put it off until late season. Buckmans has a demo day scheduled at Blue for Feb 21 where a bunch of manufacturers show up with tents and skis and you can demo all you want for free. They had on in Jan last year at Camel but I don't see one on their schedule yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

I know what it's like to be burning to get new equipment, but it's really too bad you can't put it off until late season. Buckmans has a demo day scheduled at Blue for Feb 21 where a bunch of manufacturers show up with tents and skis and you can demo all you want for free. They had on in Jan last year at Camel but I don't see one on their schedule yet.

Agree with this. 

4 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

for real. i got boots. not sure if i can put off skis till i try a bunch out. now that i dont ride 10-2 park laps I have no idea what ski to get on. 

I think you should wait till demo day salty. although youre not at blue...why arent you at blue lol. oh well. 

Im waiting till my next billing cycle to get skis.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

I can put it off until then, but I kinda want something sooner because I'll be skiing 3 times a week and also going to Vermont in early February. What I'm thinking is I'll try demoing tomorrow to see if I really like any ski - it's only $60. If not I'll stick with the Elans and wait until the two demo days at Blue and Camelback.

Regardless, I'll attend Buckman's demo day because I'm really interested to see how different skis feel. And I'm pretty sure if I buy something now, it won't be my last pair of skis. I think someone said JohnnyLaw has like 50 skis or something.

It seems trying different skis is the best way to learn about how they work because there are so many differences it's mind boggling.

Edited by saltyant