Ski Selection Thread

saltyant

Ah, OK, I get it now. RTM's construction varies for different widths. Only 86mm has two layers of titanal, and hence is the stiffest. The two other narrower ones have a single layer of steel, and so they're softer, and the steel there is mostly for dampening.

So it will really be a challenge for you, what to try. Typically people would recommend a specific width considering things like the ease of putting them on edge or comfort of going through the crud, but here with increased width comes different stiffer construction, and the results will be less predictable.

6 minutes ago, eaf said:

Ah, OK, I get it now. RTM's construction varies for different widths. Only 86mm has two layers of titanal, and hence is the stiffest. The two other narrower ones have a single layer of steel, and so they're softer, and the steel there is mostly for dampening.

So it will really be a challenge for you, what to try. Typically people would recommend a specific width considering things like the ease of putting them on edge or comfort of going through the crud, but here with increased width comes different stiffer construction, and the results will be less predictable.

It'll be interesting. It seems you can research skis ad nauseam, but the information is meaningless unless you can translate it into how it impacts your skiing.

Edited by saltyant

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

It'll be interesting. It seems you can research skis ad nauseam, but the information is meaningless unless you can translate it into how it impacts your skiing.

Also beware of information that is really stealth marketing.  

Skis only last a few seasons, don’t over analyze it. 

4 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Skis only last a few seasons, don’t over analyze it. 

Lol, you're talking to a guy that overanalyzes every little detail and decision. But true. I just want to get on some different skis and see how they feel, instead of just getting bogged down in all the intricate details. You're all well versed in it from years and years of experience, but to someone who's relatively new it's quite daunting.

I've been biking for a long time and finally feel like I have a pretty understanding of what kind of road bike I want to get. That came from years and years of riding experience. In that area there's a whole gamut of subtle differences between bikes that it's also really tough to decide what to get.

Edited by saltyant

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Lol, you're talking to a guy that overanalyzes every little detail and decision. But true. I just want to get on some different skis and see how they feel, instead of just getting bogged down in all the intricate details. You're all well versed in it from years and years of experience, but to someone who's relatively new it's quite daunting.

I've been biking for a long time and finally feel like I have a pretty understanding of what kind of road bike I want to get. That came from years and years of riding experience. In that area there's a whole gamut of subtle differences between bikes that it's also really tough to decide what to get.

Bikes aren’t skis. Bikes are way more complex and expensive. I’ve agonized over bikes before.  Nah just kidding, I always buy one model or level up 👆when it comes to bikes or components.

Have you thought about bindings?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Lol 😂 

No this is easy. Look Px or Pivots. Can’t go wrong. 

At this point as long as the bindings are indemnified and function properly I'm good.

This reminds me, the first pair of skis I bought were for $15 at the Goodwill store. I think they were "Geze" bindings, and there's virtually no information about them online. They were so old I couldn't get them to adjust properly to get my boots in.

49 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Looking forward to your ride reports in the bike thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Bikes aren’t skis. Bikes are way more complex and expensive. I’ve agonized over bikes before.  Nah just kidding, I always buy one model or level up 👆when it comes to bikes or components.

Have you thought about bindings?

Maybe he will join us for a ride sometime up to Blue?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Forgot to mention that I got both the skis and my current poles for $15 combined. What a bargain.

I’m not sure this is something I’d be proud of or not. Good for you though. There’s deals out there for sure.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Looking forward to your ride reports in the bike thread.

I'll have to start posting there next year after ski season. I had a great season this year. Logged 4,475.7 miles, and biked up Pike's Peak, Mount Evans, rode from Silverton to Durango, and around Moab and Monument Valley.

I'd ask where you guys start riding from, but don't want to get yelled at anymore today for threadjacking. Are you allowed to threadjack your own thread?

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

I can put it off until then, but I kinda want something sooner because I'll be skiing 3 times a week and also going to Vermont in early February. What I'm thinking is I'll try demoing tomorrow to see if I really like any ski - it's only $60. If not I'll stick with the Elans and wait until the two demo days at Blue and Camelback.

Regardless, I'll attend Buckman's demo day because I'm really interested to see how different skis feel. And I'm pretty sure if I buy something now, it won't be my last pair of skis. I think someone said JohnnyLaw has like 50 skis or something.

It seems trying different skis is the best way to learn about how they work because there are so many differences it's mind boggling.

Go sooner ever if it costs a little more Johnny cash. 

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

I'll have to start posting there next year after ski season. I had a great season this year. Logged 4,475.7 miles, and biked up Pike's Peak, Mount Evans, rode from Silverton to Durango, and around Moab and Monument Valley.

I'd ask where you guys start riding from, but don't want to get yelled at anymore today for threadjacking. Are you allowed to threadjack your own thread?

Stop fucking threadjacking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Go sooner ever if it costs a little more Johnny cash. 

Actually I attribute a lot of my recent decisions to you. When I was stuck on the turnpike at Quakertown, I was going to turn back. Then you said something like "so what, you ski 3 hours instead of 4. YOLO". That post changed my mind and I ended up having a great time at Blue.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Actually I attribute a lot of my recent decisions to you. When I was stuck on the turnpike at Quakertown, I was going to turn back. Then you said something like "so what, you ski 3 hours instead of 4. YOLO". That post changed my mind and I ended up having a great time at Blue.

Good I want people to ski more!!!!  

• Like 1