Ski Selection Thread

saltyant

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Cool, and then Chamonix in 2020 right?

Yup do you know any French???  And I'm happy my words got you an extra night on the slopes. Atomic Jeff has called me a pussy before because I didn't wanna ski cause I was tired or party rocked too hard and then I said well I'll just go skiing and had a great time. I don't think I've ever had a bad day of skiing. I know you haven't met Johnny law before because he just came back last weekend but he's a true hero. Could be the worst conditIons and he'll just say it's spicy..also NMSki inspires me because he's so happy when he skis..always smiling..I like that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yup do you know any French???  And I'm happy my words got you an extra night on the slopes. Atomic Jeff has called me a pussy before because I didn't wanna ski cause I was tired or party rocked too hard and then I said well I'll just go skiing and had a great time. I don't think I've ever had a bad day of skiing. I know you haven't met Johnny law before because he just came back last weekend but he's a true hero. Could be the worst conditIons and he'll just say it's spicy..also NMSki inspires me because he's so happy when he skis..always smiling..I like that. 

Oui Oui

11 hours ago, saltyant said:

I can put it off until then, but I kinda want something sooner because I'll be skiing 3 times a week and also going to Vermont in early February. What I'm thinking is I'll try demoing tomorrow to see if I really like any ski - it's only $60. If not I'll stick with the Elans and wait until the two demo days at Blue and Camelback.

Regardless, I'll attend Buckman's demo day because I'm really interested to see how different skis feel. And I'm pretty sure if I buy something now, it won't be my last pair of skis. I think someone said JohnnyLaw has like 50 skis or something.

It seems trying different skis is the best way to learn about how they work because there are so many differences it's mind boggling.

If you're going to Vermont, you'll have more opportunity to demo skis from shops up there.  In the meantime, read more, ask more questions, seek the truth in all the fake news.

Also, don't skimp on cheap bindings as they're what are going to save your knees after you get on whatever new racecar skis you choose.

4 hours ago, indiggio said:

If you're going to Vermont, you'll have more opportunity to demo skis from shops up there.  In the meantime, read more, ask more questions, seek the truth in all the fake news.

Also, don't skimp on cheap bindings as they're what are going to save your knees after you get on whatever new racecar skis you choose.

No kidding here. Demo & then buy on day 1.  Cheap binders is nothing to put on new sticks. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, enjoralas said:

I know what it's like to be burning to get new equipment, but it's really too bad you can't put it off until late season. Buckmans has a demo day scheduled at Blue for Feb 21 where a bunch of manufacturers show up with tents and skis and you can demo all you want for free. They had on in Jan last year at Camel but I don't see one on their schedule yet.

To answer your question in the Blue thread, I didn't buy the RTM 81s yet. I'm shopping around until I find a bargain, and if I can't find one then maybe I'll wait until the end of the season. But I think I'm spoiled now and can't go back to my entry-level Elans. I tested the RTMs in everything I could - hard pack, pure ice, sugary piles, and death cookies. I am very impressed at how much better the ski felt in those conditions.

I think I'm fine with the 81. It was harder to turn then I'm used to, but the stability is a good trade off. Anything wider I felt like I would have a hard time making turns.

Edited by saltyant

4 minutes ago, eaf said:

I still haven't seen a proper test report on all three skis. What about Kendos? Did you try Vantage? Maybe different widths of RTM?

Ah I don't feel like writing a report tonight. The RTMs were good. The Vantage seemed equally good but since I spent so much time on the RTMs I'm not sure anymore. I only tried the Vantage for an hour. I tried Rossignol 84s which seemed less stable. Since i felt the RTMs were harder to turn than what I'm used to, I think I'll stick with 81. I didn't try Kendos because they seemed out of my league.

Edited by saltyant

Just now, saltyant said:

Ah I don't feel like writing a report tonight. Everyone bitches about Camelback everytime I mention it so F it. Merry Christmas!

I am not asking you about CB or your mustard preferences though. I asked about skis. And probably, it just might be so, that others would support that kind of conversation better than gloating over broken expresses from the top of the Stevenson lift? ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eaf said:

I am not asking you about CB or your mustard preferences though. I asked about skis. And probably, it just might be so, that others would support that kind of conversation better than gloating over broken expresses from the top of the Stevenson lift? ;)

Ok I edited it above, hopefully that is a good synopsis !

9 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Ah I don't feel like writing a report tonight. The RTMs were good. The Vantage seemed equally good but since I spent so much time on the RTMs I'm not sure anymore. I only tried the Vantage for an hour. I tried Rossignol 84s which seemed less stable. Since i felt the RTMs were harder to turn than what I'm used to, I think I'll stick with 81. I didn't try Kendos because they seemed out of my league.

In two to three seasons you will want something wider. Don’t forget this in your decision making. 

5 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

In two to three seasons you will want something wider. Don’t forget this in your decision making. 

Hopefully, because that means I'm advancing in ability. But at this point, based on my experience level, I cannot image a better ski than the RTM 81 due to how well it performed for me today.

I'm not sure what more a ski can improve on...? And I'm not being a wise guy with that sentence, I literally don't know. I understand that powder skis make a huge difference in powder, but how often do we get actual pow days around here?

Nearly all my runs are on groomers right now, and as long as they get through the less than ideal conditions then I'm fine with them for now.

Edited by saltyant

Sounds like a dream then... I've seen a few of the new RTMs on the slopes today. They look... sophisticated with that ridge and the UVO damper. What surprises me though is how and whether they can have good grip on ice with such a deliberately narrow sidewall. I mean, they have thick profile in the middle, but where it matters most, where they're supposed to transfer the weight to the edges, they thin out...

Do they grip on ice? Did you try turning at speed and pressing the outside ski into the ice as hard as you could? Do they hold w/o slipping while you do so? Granted, the weather wasn't even remotely icy today, but CB is known to have some ice spots even in the best weather, so perhaps you had a chance?

3 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Thanks Root. I assume that's a reputable dealer and then they ship them through the mail?

The Loft shop wants $899 for them and I think that's highway robbery when the same skis are available online for much, much cheaper.

Just now, saltyant said:

Thanks Root. I assume that's a reputable dealer and then they ship them through the mail?

The Loft shop wants $899 for them and I think that's highway robbery when the same skis are available online for much, much cheaper.

I think 3D Glass is the new model's feature though...

1 minute ago, eaf said:

Sounds like a dream then... I've seen a few of the new RTMs on the slopes today. They look... sophisticated with that ridge and the UVO damper. What surprises me though is how and whether they can have good grip on ice with such a deliberately narrow sidewall. I mean, they have thick profile in the middle, but where it matters most, where they're supposed to transfer the weight to the edges, they thin out...

Do they grip on ice? Did you try turning at speed and pressing the outside ski into the ice as hard as you could? Do they hold w/o slipping while you do so? Granted, the weather wasn't even remotely icy today, but CB is known to have some ice spots even in the best weather, so perhaps you had a chance?

Yes. I found some nice icy spots to test them on. Near East is always very slick, and the RTMs gripped really nicely going down that. Tuts had some ice, though not as bad as Near East, and they held well on that too.

Honeymoon looked like a warzone by 3 pm. It was a combination of mashed potatoes and ice. I was amazed at how well the RTMs performed in the mashed potatoes, since that's the snow type I find the most difficult to deal with.

Also, I was seeking out death cookies instead of avoiding them, and its impressive how well they deal with that stuff.

Just now, saltyant said:

Sure. I have bought plenty off GearTrade.com, and Skibizz is a major retailer on there. Make them an offer for $500.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Yes. I found some nice icy spots to test them on. Near East is always very slick, and the RTMs gripped really nicely going down that. Tuts had some ice, though not as bad as Near East, and they held well on that too.

Honeymoon looked like a warzone by 3 pm. It was a combination of mashed potatoes and ice. I was amazed at how well the RTMs performed in the mashed potatoes, since that's the snow type I find the most difficult to deal with.

Also, I was seeking out death cookies instead of avoiding them, and its impressive how well they deal with that stuff.

Damn. I was going to test Nordica Enforcer and Navigator at BM, but now wouldn't mind comparing them with RTM. Alas, there is no RTM at BM.